Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 07:52:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It only hurts when I laugh!  (Read 4517 times)
Blackout

« on: July 16, 2011, 05:33:59 PM »

Fellow NC Ducatista:
I spoke with Dave a while ago after he found about about my major off the weekend of 7/2/11. Holy shit it was pretty bad. Me and 9 friends went to the mountains that glorious day to do some serious fast paced riding. The group I currently ride with are all very talented with a couple of NESBA A-level riders. Great bunch of guys I am always comfortable with their pace, etc.
Anyway we rode all day and were about to call it quits after one trip up Squirrel Spur to get a sammich. This is a really fun road in Southern VA just below BRP and Meadows of Dan, Hwy 58 I think. Now I've been up and down Squirrel Spur a dozen times and have alot of respect for it. It has taken out many riders better than myself. For some reason I confused the layout of the road going up this time and got into a nasty decreasing radius left hander way too hot. This section of the turn has a gnarly metal guard rail about 3 feet off the road itself. My  buddy Brent went first on his GSXR 750. I went next followed by friends on a  1098 and a pair of ZX10's, a GSXR 600, another GSXR 750 and a few other bikes. I rode with all my usual gear except for some Icon jeans, not very protective in this situation. I was hot into the left hander and saw I was running out of road so in an effort to cut the corner tight as possible I put my left knee down and then my footpeg into the asphalt. OUch. That kinda hurt. It all hapened so fast and I don't know if I low sided or ran out of road or just lost traction but down I went. I apparently hit the guardrail with my low back or ass. My bike hit the guardrail and bounced off. Somehow in the process of crashing my bike gored me right next to my butt-crack. I'm talking a few millimeters away. I lay there in a heap knowing I had at least a few busted ribs. Fortunately I never lost consciousness as I did not hit my head. When I stood up my friends noticed the blood pulsing out my backside! I dropped my drawers roadside so they could take a look-see. It was quickly assessed that I needed medical attention. Fortunately a passing off duty EMT drove by since no one could get a decent cell signal up there. She and her husband and 3-year old daughter gave me a ride to Mt. Airy Hospital. My buddies made quick work getting my bike off the road and hidden in the bushes. make the beast with two backsing cops will give you a ticket for crashing regardless of circumstances.
Long story short I was transferred quickly to Wake Forest Baptist Hospital. 8 days and 3 surgeries later they discharged me. I broke 3 ribs, L2 vertebrae, sacrum and coccyx. Good Times though.
It all sounds pretty bad but could have been sooo much worse. The pain hasn't been too bad either in reality. My bike is at a buddy's house up in King, NC. I am going to upgrade all the broken bits (front forks).
Se a few pics below. Poor Speedy    :'(   Cheers and ride safely.  chug Personally I can't wait to get back out there.

Kneepucks are for pussies!

My buddy Will's awesome drawing of the major injury  Grin

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:57:17 AM by Blackout » Logged

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
superjohn

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:36:19 AM »

Ouch!! Man, that sucks. Get well soon.
yamifixer

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:56:25 AM »

That sux. glad you were able to walk away (sorta).

Speedy recovery

'00 M900Sie, '66 Benelli Fireball, '70 Honda Z50
Valve Springs are EVIL
Rameses

*Your Mom* has a Hypermotard

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »

Damn dude.  That suuuuucks.  Sorry to hear about that.

That drawing's pretty funny though.   laughingdp

the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »

You did a number on that one fork tube!!!

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
Blackout

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 08:52:25 AM »

Update:
I'm mostly healed up now and have just about exhausted my sick leave...so it's time to go to Colorado on the Ducati for the Speed Triple Rocky Mountain Rally! Leaving 9/1 and be back around 9/12. waytogo

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
Rameses

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 12:16:18 AM »

Update:
I'm mostly healed up now and have just about exhausted my sick leave...so it's time to go to Colorado on the Ducati for the Speed Triple Rocky Mountain Rally! Leaving 9/1 and be back around 9/12. waytogo

Wait.  You fixed all that damage already??

Blackout

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 08:53:25 AM »

Wait.  You fixed all that damage already??

Nope. I took the Monster out there. Had a blast. Traveled all around Colorado, Utah and a small part of Arizona. I had not been back out West since I moved 7 years ago. The little Ducati did very well. Three of us even had to traverse an 11000 ft  twisty mountain road at night. Yes, it snowed at the top.

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
Rameses

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »

Ah.  I missed the key part where you said you were taking the duc.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: