Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 06:34:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dry clutch slipping under load @ 20k kms  (Read 5888 times)
Andre J

« on: August 22, 2011, 07:38:17 PM »

Hey peeps

Am i done or what? The l clutch on my S4RS with open cover is starting to slip under full load in the power band, particularly up hill.

Its been fine up until recently, but can anyone advise, can it be fixed with removal of dust or am i up for a new clutch pack?

If so, can someone find an example of a link on ebay which is suitable & best price?

I was thinking of buying a clutch tool & have a go myself. Is this tricky?

Are there different qualities or specs in Ducati dry clutches?

Any pearls of wisdom from those who have been here are much appreciated. Andre Smiley

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:42:56 PM by Andre J » Logged

Before: Honda250RR, Yamaha R6, Ducati 749S
Now: 2008 S4RS Testastretta (red)
tricolore

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:51:10 PM »

I really don't know the answers bu I get the feeling that I will very soon find out... watch this space  popcorn

'08 S4RS Tri, '02 VOR En450, MV Agusta F4 Tracky, Ducati 900 Darmah.
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:35:44 PM »

too many wheelies Wink

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
dan_t

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:44:28 PM »

too many wheelies Wink

Ha! what he said  waytogo

'08 S4rs;
Termis, DP C/F Short Tail, DP C/F Rear Hugger, Custom hand-made seat, Matris Steering damper, Pazzo Shorty Levers, Rizoma Dynamic mirrors, EVR Ventilated Pressure Plate, EVR Open Clutch Cover, SpeedyMoto Stainless Springs Kit, EVR Clutch Slave Cylinder, EVR Front Sprocket Cover, Evotech Performance Radiator & Oil Cooler Guards, Rizoma CT027R, CT017R & CT015R red fluid reservoirs, Powder Coated Rear Passenger Pegs, Oberon Racing Pegs, C/F Fairing stays, Oggy Knobs, ZG tinted Screen
mattyvas

I've become an old man on an old man's bike

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »

Aside from what's been said above which is a likely cause.
You can find clutch packs at any of the board sponsors here, personally I wouldn't buy an eBay special buy from a reputable supplier.
You could always ask the lads at D-Moto I know there parts bin is growing by the week.

As to changing it yourself, well.........
Bike mechanics are there for a reason.

cabron

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 09:15:12 PM »

too many wheelies Wink

+2 waytogo

Or maybe the unbridled horse power gain from these slip off's are just too great for any ordinary clutch pack....
may I suggest you weld the clutch up, not unlike the good ol CIG (Now BOC) Diff locker on my old Datsun 1600 Rally car...
It's not like you stop at Red light's anyway.....

Seriously, Clutch Pack....easy fix. Quick check is to remove the friction plates and measure thickness, quick Google search will tell you what minimum should be. Can also see any damage etc. Make sure they stay in the same order as they came off, and position in basket......And the indicator mark on the pressure plate lines back up with the mark on stud (or Zombies will be visiting)

My 2 cents as a Bush Mechanic (and Zombie Hunter)

Or take it to a real mechanic and get it done properly.....

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=350.0

With new basket

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=44741.0
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:20:05 PM by cabron » Logged
Andre J

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »

Wow thanks guys.. V helpful.

I expect mine to be quite worn. Will probably replace the basket too.Smiley

Before: Honda250RR, Yamaha R6, Ducati 749S
Now: 2008 S4RS Testastretta (red)
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »

As to changing it yourself, well.........
Bike mechanics are there for a reason.

mechanis are there for things that you are not capable of doing

sure if you have a need to drop dollars somewhere on something that is very basic

20K i suspect wouldnt need the basket as well and would prob get away with just the clutch plates

being a dry clutch there isnt many tools that are needed to repalace the plates

would be able to pull the clutch pack out and inspect

if the metals look like metal instead of blued overheated metal plates then prob just a set of friction plates

if the metal plates are all discoloured then would repalace the lot

check the basket for major wear

remember dont mix the plate order up

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
FIFO
Doing the latter

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:10:47 AM »

I got my last clutch from Desmotimes Barnett cluch pack and procuting basket.http://www.desmotimes.com/

Last time i was at Dmoto shaun was showing me a local made steel basket looked the stuff and a very good price. Wink

This link Cabron put up is well worth a look you can see what a worn basket looks like  :'(
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=44741.0

in memory of Brian W, 2010 /2015
dragonworld.
I can make like a tripod with my.....

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 12:16:04 AM »

My original OEM Ducati dry clutch and basket was ratshit at around 22K. And it wasnt thrashed as in wheelies, burnouts etc!! And my next one replaced at around 25K Although probably could have easily got another 2 or 3 thousand more out of it.  waytogo

The multi tooth assembly from Jeff at MonsterParts, (Cheap as chips and a bloody good clutch) waytogo

http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/EVR210/Clutch-Brakes/EVR210.html

Changing it is a piece  of piss!!  Grin

Secret to a long relationship is........Keep the fights clean and the sex DIRTY"!
jaso1

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 12:52:23 AM »

I'm looking at a new clutch myself for my 900ie .   
I've been looking around at my options also although I'm a mechanic by trade so the fitment part isn't an issue .
The EVR clutch set from Monster parts with 48t system looks good for the price considering you get a whole new alloy basket that is supposed to spin up faster, wear less and make less noise too so they say ?
Seems to be $430 ish which sounds good , mine you if I wanted to spend a little else where such as some bling and a new slave too I would then probably just buy the $189 Barnett clutch pack and forget the wear on the stock steel basket and let the good times roll !

I think I'm trying to convince my self to ignore my worn basket .  I mean it isn't going any where now is it , the new plates will wear way before the basket does much more , although a new set of plates in a worn basket probably won't operate as smoothly and when the tangs are tring to move past the notches in the basket .

Dam, stupid budgets to work off .   
FIFO
Doing the latter

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 01:15:38 AM »

, although a new set of plates in a worn basket probably won't operate as smoothly and when the tangs are tyring to move past the notches in the basket .

Dam, stupid budgets to work off .   

You can take to the notches with a file and clean the basket up a bit.

The issue is noise did i say noise rattle rattle,hammer and extra rattle laughingdp
The more the clearance between the tangs and the basket the greater the rattle.
an new basket and new plates very Little clearance and less rattle you can actually hear the exhaust note laughingdp.

If you like the rattle leave the basket Undecided

in memory of Brian W, 2010 /2015
loony888

"I WAS GOING HOW FAST, OFFICER?"

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 01:32:14 AM »

before shelling out for a new set of plates, get an aerosol of brakekleen and disassemble your clutch. once apart you should lay all the plates out on a baking tray (really upsets the misses!) and after spraying the basket and housing give the plates a good clean up with the rest of the aerosol, it may stop your slippage issues it may not, what it will do though is allow you to inspect everything and make sure you haven't got a leaky output shaft seal behind the basket. if you need a new set of plates i only ever use genuine, and if you're tempted to blow your clutch out with air, WEAR A MASK! waytogo
The steel plates are all steel, but the friction plates come in alloy or steel, you need to match the material to your basket, alloy basket? alloy plate set. steel basket? steel plate set. and keep them in order, there are a couple of different thicknesses and a wavy plate that goes 2nd from the back ( i think?? bang head  )

HERE AND NOW                      12 DIAVEL AMG
                                              93 888 RS
                                              09 1098R BAYLISS
                                              07 Husqvarna TE 450

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN        03 S4R       95 900SL
                                              01 S4         93 900M
                                              96 748SP
goldFiSh

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 05:27:24 AM »

Ha! what he said  waytogo

+1.  laughingdp

To me , a wheelie is like an exclamation mark...... Good to make a point (like when a rider wins a race) and occasionally for shits and giggles...

But! One! After! Every! Word! Is! Perhaps! A! Little! Excessive!

But hey, thats just my take on it......
jaso1

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »

Monster Parts have the EVR 48T unit in stock ,  mmmhhh   , I like the sound of the spins up faster bit due to the swiss cheese basket made from alloy , mmmhhhh ..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: