Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 04:08:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doc Wong Tip: Fighting Fatigue On A Hot Day of Riding  (Read 874 times)
docwong

Doc Wong (free) Riding Clinics

« on: August 29, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »

Doc Wong Tip: Fighting Fatigue On A Hot Day of Riding

Some riders have been asking how to keep from being tired with a full day of riding.  This is especially true during those 100+ degree street riding, dual sport rides or track days.  There you're working pretty hard for short periods of time, still by the end of the day, most riders are pretty beat and tired.  Definitely not as fun, but being worn out or tired while riding can be dangerous!   I'm often seen at the end of a hot day still riding, so here's what I do:

***(Summary: Get adequate sleep, drink water and supplement with electrolytes, and keep cool.)***

The most common cause of fatigue, headaches, etc on a hot day of riding:

1. Lack of sleep a couple of nights before.  Of course an exciting day may get you through as you're all "worked up."  However sometimes your body just won't keep up.  This is especially true as you get older.  So get adequate sleep even better take a nap.  

2. Dehydration.  Full hydration can take quite some time.  Unless you usually consume 1-2 quarts of water a day, just drinking a lot of water the day of the event will not be enough.  Hydrate at least a week before the event.  Small sips of water spread throughout the day is best.  Just chugging down a quart of water in one drink will definitely not be as effective.

3. Electrolyte Deficiency or Imbalances:

Basically electrolytes are minerals that your body needs for a variety of critical body functions. How well your nerves and muscles work for example, can be compromised by an imbalance of electrolytes. On a hot day, where you're physically working out and sweating, your body can excrete a good amount of electrolytes.  

The most common electrolyte excreted on a hot day of riding are Sodium and Potassium, then Magnesium and Calcium.

I'll do one of two things:

I'll either take salt and potassium tablets that you can find at any health food store. (Dose: Usually a Salt to Potassium ration of 2:1) That usually does it for me and I'll experiment by seeing how I fell thru the day, on how much to take.   

Or the other good alternative is to supplement with Cytomax.  You can find that at any camping store such as REI.

I try to avoid "Sports Drink" products containing sugar or hi-fructose corn syrup.  Though they contain electrolytes the sugars in them cause other problems.  Nasty stuff, but if I was stuck with no other alternative, I'll drink it to get me thru that time period.

4. Stay cool.  Good tunes and bobbing your head? Yea, but what I actually mean is to do what you can to lower your body temperature.  

On a hot-hot track day, between sessions I'll literally go under a shower or use a water hose to soak myself with leathers on (boots off).  In a few minutes I'm good to go, back on the track.  The combination of air flow and water evaporating off my leathers is quite refreshing and within an hour I'm bone dry.  Not a bad way to wash all the sweated salt out of your leathers too.  I think even Helmut of Helimot Leathers gave me a nod of approval on that one too!  :-)

During a street tour, I'm usually the one sticking a water hose down everyone's leathers, getting them soaked.  One year we had to do this as I got the itch to lead a group of adventurous riders to ride thru Death Valley of July 4th weekend.  THAT was hot.  I think we must have it 115 degrees!

We all made it and still had a blast of a ride!

Anyway, ride well, hopes this makes riding funner and safer.  I like that, "funner." ;-)

Doc Wong

Ride well! Doc Wong
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: