Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:50:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Throttle hand Cramping up  (Read 8814 times)
jerryz

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 06:26:23 AM »

I switch my mouse to left hand use and that helps a lot.
ro-monster

mmmmonsterz...

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 02:41:14 PM »

Any tablets you recommend ?

Wacom. If you'll use it a lot, spend the extra money on an Intuos. The cheaper lines are designed for occasional use; the pen is much less precise and they're not built as well. Unless you do a lot of drawing, the small sizes work great. I have the smallest size even though I make my living doing graphics. With the large sizes you'll use big arm motions as opposed to small hand motions, so you'd have to consider which is more comfortable to you.

1998 M900
1996 Suzuki DR650
SP3

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »

I have the same thing going on (for a long time). I am convinced that I first need larger O.D. grips to start.

1991 851 SP3
1966 250 Monza
1999 Monster 900 City
duc996

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »

It sounds like I might have

Flexor tendinitis - inflammation of the tendons in the palm side of the wrist and hand.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/tendon_disorders.html
ICE...,then go to a chiro for spinal manipulation,it will help release the restricted joints in your neck that might be causing the nerves to get pinched.Just MHO..good luck.

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 12:46:26 PM »

It's also worth trying one of these:

I've got them on both the Monster & the ST2 and they are a HUGE help -- when properly positioned, you can really relax your right hand & even stretch/wiggle your fingers while maintaining speed. 

I got both from Desmo Times at www.desmotimes.com -- they're in the "Modification" section.  From LT's write up on the Desmo Times site:

"Crampbuster Wrist Rest - $10.50

This little gizmo has saved me from developing Carpel Tunnel syndrome. After 20 years of riding with one, I swear by the product. I've used a similar product called a "throttle rocker", but that company was forced to change their design due to copyrighting infringements with the Crampbuster. The rocker slips over the grip and the angle can be controlled on the fly. It allows riders to rest their wrist on the tang of the Crampbuster. This allows a rider to open and close their hand and stretch their fingers, all the while keeping pressure on the throttle. Ingenius. I've got a herd of Ducks, and every one has a wrist rest on it. The Crampbuster is removable and reusable."
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 12:48:29 PM by triangleforge » Logged

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »

Few things:

1 - How often do you ride? I got my bike a few months ago and am just now starting to get to the point where I don't cramp a lot on longer rides, and this is all after a couple of 1000+ mile months.  It may be a simple case of muscular building.

2 - I've ridden road bicycles for years and you can get the biggest ergonomic results out of the tiniest little modifications (we're talking millimeters here).  The angles on the stock Monster handlebars aren't the greatest, and some may even say they're downright abysmal, but there are tons of uber adjustable clip on solutions out there that may be worth investigating as opposed to dropping a few grand on surgery, not to mention raising/lowering your seat and changing grip size.   I personally will pick any moderately self healing option over medicine.  The body can do some amazing things if you just let it, you just have to know when enough is enough and head to the doc.

http://www.guzzino.com/toadcl.html

These seem to be pretty popular, and I couldn't find the link, but I saw one set that you could drop to pretty low levels than crank them ridiculously high with naught but a couple of wrenches.  I think most of the problem is in the angle positioning though.  Ever wonder why they make gun stocks at the angle that they do??

3 - Don't be such a hypochondriac  Grin  Kidding. In regards to the mouse issue, I've been a computer tech for years and found that (again) the angle of my arm in relation to the surface of the desk/table makes a world of difference, as does the mouse you're using.  I used a high end Microsoft for years and finally switched over to a Logitech, and it's a total change.  I agree with ro-monster as well, the tablets are great and WELL worth the investment if you're going to be using them on a regular basis, especially for graphics.  You may even look into a table pc or something of that nature.

So let me 'splain.  No, let me sum up - I'd spend less time playing doctor for yourself and more time experimenting in little increments to see what helps and what doesn't, though I would advise getting a professional opinion instead of looking to all us know-it-alls Wink

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
Pancake81

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 08:27:31 AM »

Use your iddle up lever on the left bar as cruise control while you give your hand a break briefly on the highway. Then, come home and get the wife to rub it and tell you how manly you are for riding such a Monster. Then convince her that a cold beverage really makes it feel better, but it hurts to open the fridge, so you need her assistance to retrieve said beverage  Grin

About the same time you're dragging your knees through a series of tight left-right-handers on Sunday afternoon, some guy in white shoes is sweating a 3-foot putt. Go figure.
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »

One other fix is to go to oversize grips -- it really makes a big difference in preventing hand cramping.  I've adapted HD grips for customers onto Ducati's using aluminum sleeves and also machined aluminum grips with rubber inserts. 

Pancake81

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 07:59:21 AM »

There are various hand stretches you could do that may help you as well.

About the same time you're dragging your knees through a series of tight left-right-handers on Sunday afternoon, some guy in white shoes is sweating a 3-foot putt. Go figure.
707soldier

Combat Soldier Inc.

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »

Wow! there are many good advice on this thread.
I learn something new, thanks guys  waytogo

Ducati _______
Speed Triple 1050 sold
Daytona 675 SE sold
Dark Monster 696 sold

Live for nothing, Die for something.

"To really live, you must almost die, To those who fight for it,
Life and freedom have a meaning that the protected will never know"
ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 12:14:06 AM »

I have the same thing going on (for a long time). I am convinced that I first need larger O.D. grips to start.

One other fix is to go to oversize grips -- it really makes a big difference in preventing hand cramping.  I've adapted HD grips for customers onto Ducati's using aluminum sleeves and also machined aluminum grips with rubber inserts. 

I have been thinking the same thing. I feel like my grips are to narrow. I will give that a try  waytogo

Few things:

1 - How often do you ride? I got my bike a few months ago and am just now starting to get to the point where I don't cramp a lot on longer rides, and this is all after a couple of 1000+ mile months.  It may be a simple case of muscular building.

Pretty much everyday. If anything I need a break rather than build up muscle  Grin

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 01:58:52 AM »

I picked up a crampbuster yesterday and rode about 70 miles with it.

It will take time getting use to it but I think it will help.
it gets in the way off the freeway on the streets but u can swival it down or easily remove it.

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 09:49:35 AM »

Hope the Crampbuster helps!  I've found that fiddling with it some will quickly find a sweet-spot that works really well & doesn't get in the way at all during normal riding.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Adamm0621

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »

Not to be a dick... but depending on your age, it could be the onset of arthritis.  If it continues to be a problem, you might want to get it checked out just to be safe.   

2010 Monster 696 Dark
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: