Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 09:11:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Throttle hand Cramping up  (Read 8815 times)
ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« on: June 19, 2008, 01:17:53 PM »

My throttle hand is cramping up more and more these days.

I can actually feel the pain just by typing this e-mail. I think it is a combination of my work in front of computer and Motorcycling.

I have looked into proper postures and I have been mindful of not over gripping the throttle. Basically being very relaxed when riding but the issue is getting worse and worse.

The Pain starts from my lower forearm to about the middle of my Palm. I think my mouse is aggravating the situation.

Any advise other than go see a Doctor  Grin

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:31:43 PM »

Ibuprofen?

Seriously, that sounds like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but that's a WAG.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »

Carpel Tunnel was my first guess as well.  If it is, it's no joke.  This book has a good section on treatment.  I can remember it, I will bring it in to work and post the suggestions.  But if it is, don't let it get too bad because then (worse case) you need surgery to fix...

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Sweat-2nd-Gear-Motorcyclists/dp/1884313639
ROBsS4R

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:57:42 PM »

Maybe its the very early stages of Carpal tunnel syndrome but I read the wiki page on it and the symptoms do not seem to correspond to mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 02:07:36 PM »

Maybe its the very early stages of Carpal tunnel syndrome but I read the wiki page on it and the symptoms do not seem to correspond to mine.

That's good news!  Would bar risers help?
When my right hand gets tired and ache-y , I try to lower my upper body so the back of my wrist is flat to my forearm to maximize blood flow and get more oxygen into my hands.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:09:45 PM by CDawg » Logged
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 02:10:07 PM »

Perhaps tendonitis, there's lots of tendons going through that area, as shown in the Wiki picture.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 05:32:46 PM »

How long does it take for the pain to set in?  If it happens when you're on constant throttle, think about getting a throttle lock.  There's also a kind of grip that has a big chunk of rubber that sticks out that you can rest the heel of your hand on so you don't have to grip the throttle as much as just lean with your palm.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 07:21:01 PM »

Alright, checked with the book and there are 3 possibilities:
1) Carpel tunnel: take ibuprofen and rest; if it gets bad, then surgery may be needed. losen gloves.
2) Thoracic outlet syndrom: stand with back to wall.  Raise hands so elbow is parallel w/ shoulder with hands vertical (like "hold'em up pose).  Open and close palm for 3 minutes slowly.  If iti is painful you have TOS.  Solution, get a better/taller dinf screen
3) Vibration white fingers: if cold and heavy vibration it could be painful.  Bar riser helps
Bizzarrini
Showing off his

'94 M900

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 12:16:32 AM »

When my right hand gets tired and ache-y , I try to lower my upper body so the back of my wrist is flat to my forearm to maximize blood flow and get more oxygen into my hands.

I think you should adjust your controls so this is allways the case, much more relaxed. If you read Total Control by Lee Parks, this is also shown...

"As a final touch, God created the Dutch"
ROBsS4R

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 12:58:55 AM »

You know the pain really varies depending on the time of the day it seems.

Worse in the morning and better at night when I ride.

Not that I ride intoxicated but it seems if I have a beer or two and then ride later that night my hand is mostly fine.

My commute home tonight which was 70 miles had little to no pain.

Maybe I need a rest from my bike but its my only mode of transportation right now. I need a rest from my PC as well  Undecided

In the image below I placed a black oval where the pain is.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 01:08:25 AM by ROBsS4R » Logged

johnster

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 05:48:08 AM »

I find that while cruising on the highway, I can just keep the throttle open with my hand positioned as if I was making a "zero" with my index finger + thumb, which seems to help relax the hand a bit...

Also, if you're wearing leather gloves, you can sometimes keep the throttle open by unclenching your hand all together and just letting the leather hold it where it needs to be..

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 06:59:18 AM »

Do you have the same pain with different types of gloves?

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
ro-monster

mmmmonsterz...

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 12:50:34 PM »

I've had episodes of hand and arm pain and numbness from working with computers. Two things made a huge difference for me.

1. I got rid of my mouse and started using a graphics tablet. Once you get used to it you'll never want to use a mouse again.

2. I started doing yoga regularly. I found a lot of my pain actually stemmed from tension in my neck and shoulders rather than the forearms, but yoga helps with all of that.

1998 M900
1996 Suzuki DR650
ROBsS4R

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 01:49:18 PM »

1. I got rid of my mouse and started using a graphics tablet. Once you get used to it you'll never want to use a mouse again.

Any tablets you recommend ?

ROBsS4R

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 01:54:23 PM »

It sounds like I might have

Flexor tendinitis - inflammation of the tendons in the palm side of the wrist and hand.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/tendon_disorders.html

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: