Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 10:42:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Right Hand Going Numb  (Read 21594 times)
dan_t

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 01:11:52 AM »

+1 on the 'twinky' theory, it works a treat.
Only other piece of advice is to actually focus on a completely different body area. Use your mid-section more, with your abbs taking most of your upper body weight, there's much less pressure on your wrists.
Good luck  waytogo

'08 S4rs;
Termis, DP C/F Short Tail, DP C/F Rear Hugger, Custom hand-made seat, Matris Steering damper, Pazzo Shorty Levers, Rizoma Dynamic mirrors, EVR Ventilated Pressure Plate, EVR Open Clutch Cover, SpeedyMoto Stainless Springs Kit, EVR Clutch Slave Cylinder, EVR Front Sprocket Cover, Evotech Performance Radiator & Oil Cooler Guards, Rizoma CT027R, CT017R & CT015R red fluid reservoirs, Powder Coated Rear Passenger Pegs, Oberon Racing Pegs, C/F Fairing stays, Oggy Knobs, ZG tinted Screen
Thermite

It's not my brain that's getting fried here!

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 01:16:37 AM »

If you want a throttle lock these are nice http://throttlemeister.com/

I used one on the bandit when I rode it to San Diego.

I have not been able to get throttlemeister to respond for fitment on a Ducati.  I use kaoko instead.  http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/758/  They're expensive for what they are but work okay.  Nothing less helps me for more than a couple minutes once the numb set in.

If you use a kaoko I recommend using some blue locktite on the bolt to prevent inadvertently loosening it.  It happens easy and I lost one that way.  Ouch!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:23:03 AM by Carbon 14 » Logged

'07 S4RS and '04 998 Matrix.  Because sometimes I feel like a monster, and sometimes I don't.
theprocess

'09 M696

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »

I find that these really work.

For long trips on the freeway I never leave home without one. If you need to get it out of the way quickly simply rotate up and out of the way.
shamoo

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »

I'd like to post here with some bad news.  I commute to work 100 miles a day (weekdays only) and about once a day, my right arm/hand will get numb.  I'll adjust my grip a bit and everything would go back to normal.  I think after a year of doing this, I got some nerve damage.  I'm headed to the orthopedic/bone doctor later this week for confirmation.

I realized something was wrong at the gym.  I go almost every day and recently my right arm has trouble extending to lock.  Any exercise involving extension of the arm (benchpress, tricep extension, shoulder press, etc) I would have a hard time pushing that last inch.  My left arm would be totally normal, while my right arm would just appear to be "weaker".  ZERO pain or discomfort which is strange.

Anyway, I've been pretty cranky these past few weeks.  Skipped the gym for about a month to see if got better.  It did...marginally, but it's still there.  Hopefully the damage isn't permanent.

I'm still riding to work, but I am constantly adjusting my grip as to not give my arm/hand a chance to get numb.  Not sure if it's working. 

Sad
R0CKETMAN

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »

Get the weight off your hands via risers and/ taller bars. Resolved most of it for me.

"Bones Heal, Chicks Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"
bob795

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 11:46:39 PM »

I'd like to post here with some bad news.  I commute to work 100 miles a day (weekdays only) and about once a day, my right arm/hand will get numb.  I'll adjust my grip a bit and everything would go back to normal.  I think after a year of doing this, I got some nerve damage.  I'm headed to the orthopedic/bone doctor later this week for confirmation. (snip)

shamoo, what did the doctor say about your wrist? I hope it's nothing serious.

I also have numb right hand every now and then when I ride. When the bike had the stock seat, I never had any hand numbness, but after I change the stock seat with DP comfort touring seat (about two weeks ago), the seating position is slightly changed ... I have to lean more to reach the handlebar than when I had the stock seat... and I started to have a slight numbness every now and then. Usually during or after a ride in slow crawling traffic jam.

But I don't have this numbness when I remember to ride with what you guys termed as using the core muscle and grip the tank with my knees to support my body... and BTW I never had this problem during the 10 years riding my sportster. Anyway, I placed an order for techspec tank grip to make gripping the tank easier. If it doesn't work then I will have to consider getting a different handlebar.

2011 Husqvarna TE 630
2012 Monster 795
2002 Sportster 883/1200 (sold)
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 03:20:59 AM »

shamoo, what did the doctor say about your wrist? I hope it's nothing serious.

I also have numb right hand every now and then when I ride. When the bike had the stock seat, I never had any hand numbness, but after I change the stock seat with DP comfort touring seat (about two weeks ago), the seating position is slightly changed ... I have to lean more to reach the handlebar than when I had the stock seat... and I started to have a slight numbness every now and then. Usually during or after a ride in slow crawling traffic jam.

But I don't have this numbness when I remember to ride with what you guys termed as using the core muscle and grip the tank with my knees to support my body... and BTW I never had this problem during the 10 years riding my sportster. Anyway, I placed an order for techspec tank grip to make gripping the tank easier. If it doesn't work then I will have to consider getting a different handlebar.

The numbness might be from the angle of your brake lever.  When in riding position your fingers should line up with your wrist.
bob795

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 04:06:14 AM »

Thanks howie, fingers already line up with the wrist and with the forearm too, more or less form a straight line, but I just adjusted (lowered) the lever a bit lower.

2011 Husqvarna TE 630
2012 Monster 795
2002 Sportster 883/1200 (sold)
lpgoldtop
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »

I have this problem on many different bikes. Harley ,Kawasaki,enduro,bmw,and my monster. It seems to be worse with more aggressive riding positions. I suppose for me it's just a muscle thing. I'm also a guitar player and a machinist so I use my hands and my wrists on constant basis. I just got my monster so it's all basically stock. Normally I have to do about  $600 worth of ergonomics or custom-made parts to make my bike really comfortable for me. But I got long legs and short arms. I've heard people say it can have to do with having gloves that are too tight. I still get it with fingerless, regular gloves, gauntlets, or without gloves. I would assume in that situation you have the problem in both hands and not just throttle hand.
pesto

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 06:46:40 PM »

So I have this problem too. I sometimes keep my elbows cocked out and have to adjust to keep them down. That seems to help me. I also noticed that when I rented a Ninja 250 for a day I rode it all day without this problem. The Ninja's bars are way lower...I wonder if lowering them could help? I see people say raise them, but I wonder...

2013 White M696
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 03:58:12 PM »

Right hand only numbness = Wrist position/death grip.
Both hand numbness = to much weight forward.
Everything goes numb well, that's just poor conditioning or age.  I keep telling myself it is poor conditioning  Grin

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
JoshuaCJCohen

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 04:23:35 AM »

I started to get this when I bought the Ducati.  When I had my Vulcan I didn't experience any numbness in my right hand.  While I'm sure the squeeze is the culprit I also noticed the grips are significantly smaller diameter than on the Vulcan.  Because of the smaller diameter I felt I had to hold on tighter.
reebok

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »

After 4 strokes in last ten years, have some hand problems when riding.
Bar end weights will alter the frequency of any vibes, and are well worth a try.
Worked for me, worth a try, and reversible, and low cost.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: