Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 09:44:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Right Hand Going Numb  (Read 21600 times)
Steve.In.Atlanta

Rider in downtown Atlanta

« on: September 25, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »

I was out on the bike for a couple of hours on the interstate riding and my right hand kept going numb. It's been a while since I've driven a motorcycle for distance on the highway and looking for some solutions.

When I got out of the navy in '92 I drove a motorcycle from Newport, RI to Chattanooga, TN without a lot of difficulty. I had a throttle lock on there that I would use to lock the throttle so I could shake my hand a bit to keep that from happening. I have no idea where I got that thing or what it was called.

Do you guys think that's a good item or is there another solution?

2005 Monster S4R
1982 Moto Guzzi V50 Mk3 (project bike)
2001 Monster 900S (stolen)
DuctheMonster

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »

Sometimes I have the same issue, I find that if your wrist is making more of a 45 degree angle (bent) then you don't get as much blood flow... If you try and keep your wrist straight the pressure from your weight on the handle bars shouldn't be as bad keeping your blood flowing. Kind of works for me... give it a try.
positivecarry

'05 620

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »

Relax your grip...a trick I use is to make sure your grip is loose enough that you can touch your thumb tip to your index finger tip.  Basically, practice using as light a grip as possible.
Duc796canada

My first Ducati and road bike!

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:31:03 AM »

It sure sucks! I had it bad yesterday to were I could apply the front brake, lucky I was on the country roads. Sorry to hijack your post, but anyone know if you can use that palm rest thingy with bar-end mirrors on?

796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
Viz-Tec Supabrake II
15/41 gearing(AFAM quick change sprocket)
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike(I know...not a Duc...some day)
Steve.In.Atlanta

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »

I was thinking about using a palm rest. I can't see why it would interfere with bar-end mirrors. The reason I'm looking around for a throttle lock is to be able to let go of the handle and shake my arm around.

2005 Monster S4R
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »

It's mostly been due to wrist position for me, not 100% effective but works most of the time.

Your '01 M900ie has the fast idle setup, if adjusted to the maximum, you can use that for a 'cruise control'.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »

It's mostly been due to wrist position for me, not 100% effective but works most of the time.

Your '01 M900ie has the fast idle setup, if adjusted to the maximum, you can use that for a 'cruise control'.

i'm not the only one?

i adjusted the cable so it goes up to 5000 rpm at max.  for starting, i put hold it around the middle of the lever range.  feels good man

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
akmnstr
What a Handsome

The Puppy Killer

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »

I find that these really work.

"you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas!!" Davey Crockett & AKmnstr

"An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men."
Charles Darwin

"I don't know what people expect when they meet me. They seem to be afraid that I'm going to piss in the potted palm and slap them on the ass." Marlon Brando
Steve.In.Atlanta

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »

I toyed around with the fast idle start in town at lower speeds and it worked!!

It's not something I want to use as cruise control per say but just enough to readjust my hand without releasing the throttle. Thanks for the tip, I think this will solve my problem.

2005 Monster S4R
hillbillypolack

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 06:32:54 AM »

Yes, it happens, and it's more about your grip than anything (duh).

A technique I use is 1) grip the handlebar like you were holding a Twinkie.  You have it in your hand, but you aren't clenching it.  Also, for more precise throttle actuation, lay your index finger on the top of the brake pivot like you were pointing.  This allows a 'base' and your throttle control is easier in turns and at low revs where the bike is snatchy.

Last detail is if you have racing gloves, don't 'over-tighten' the velcro, especially the one at the wrist.  I've found that leaving more room helps me avoid numb hands when riding.
bikepilot

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »

If you want a throttle lock these are nice http://throttlemeister.com/

I used one on the bandit when I rode it to San Diego.

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
OT
Still Sweeping.....

'04 M1000 Janis - smartly dressed in red

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »

Agree - you have to lose the death-grip on the throttle.

I tried the Throttle Rocker but it didn't work for me...any weight on the bars (and, hence on the rocker) meant having to fine-tune the wrist position, which is the same PIA as w/o the TR.  Because of the way it works I found myself controlling the throttle by bending my wrist up and down instead of using my fingers to 'roll' the throttle....result was more, not less, wrist pain.

Throttle Meister better as it locks throttle in a set position; but don't expect it to work like cruise control....it won't hold a set speed on roads with varying grades, just a set throttle position.

Best fix is lots of ab/core exercises.....not that I do any  Grin
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:32:55 PM by OT » Logged
imaspecialparts
Proudly Made in Italy

A little step for a man...a big step for his bike!

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 10:03:27 AM »

I think the frequent combination of reasons for this are:
wrist is bent unnaturally, and lots of weight is being applied to wrists, so blood is limited to hand, and it goes numb.

There are solutions!

• Adjust brake lever so that hand is in straight line, instead of bent at wrist.
  • Reduce weight on wrists by sitting more upright (perhaps add bar risers and enhance overall comfort), and squeeze tank with knees to support body.
  • Stop smoking and do not get "excited" while riding (so blood flows better to hands!)   laughingdp

Also, I have noticed I have never gotten numb hands while on the track, but I am not riding passively, unlike when stuck in traffic.

Best luck in finding comfort while riding!

IMA Special Parts - North America
Volpiano, TO, Italy - Nashville, TN, USA
IMA Special Parts designs, tests, and manufactures billet 7075 ERGAL adjustable-offset and conventional triple clamps, adjustable clipons, riser clipons, bar risers, fork damper clamps, and accessories for Ducati Motorcycles and most modern superbike
Le Pirate

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 06:21:34 AM »

I still have some bad hand numbing problems (carpal tunnel), but bar end weights...can't remember the proper term...helped me some. They soak up some of the bar vibrations that were causing me problems. Something to think about

Preisker

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »

I get it too.   I'm getting old, that's what it is. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: