Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:43:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: Remove silver stickers off frame and clean up  (Read 9083 times)
BourneS4R
"Don't Tread On Me"

"Oh Oh, Black Betty, Bam Ba Lam"

« on: September 30, 2011, 04:00:20 PM »

I love the black on black of my S4R. Needless to say that the two big silver stickers on the frame were occupying too much real estate. This is a how-to for removing them, relocating (in my case, to under the seat) and cleaning up the frame afterwards. I have seen this trick also work for stickers on windshields; better or worse depending on the sticker itself and the method used.

*Note: the Ducati Motorholding stickers on the frame are solid; they have a wavy/slalom pattern (think skiing) cut into them from the back side. If you are too fast or careless in peeling, you will rip them into shreds. :mad: This method, when done right, will most likely get them off in one piece.

Steps:

1) Apply painters tape to the sticker. Match the edges as best as possible and smooth out thoroughly. Once smooth, run over the entire piece with your nails a few times to ensure that it sticks.

2) With an Xacto knife, very gently and carefully cut around the very edges of the sticker. When done with a steady, light hand, you will avoid any damage to the frame.

3) Smooth the tape, from center out, to ensure it is firmly in place and that the edges of the tape are gripping onto the edges of the sticker.

4) I found the best technique to be starting from the top (most accessible) bottom corner of the sticker and, with your finger nail, slowly peel up the edge, working your way to the narrow part of the frame. I would hesitate from using anything other than your nails to ensure that the frame is not scratched. The slower and more meticulous you are, the better the peel job. Make sure that the sticker is sticking to the tape. If it separates, peel it back to where it meets the tape again.

5) Once a decent amount (.5 to 1 cm of sticker/tape) has been peeled up, start peeling the sticker from the lower part on up the frame. If done right, it should remain stuck to the tape.

6) Relocate the sticker to a desired location. In my case, I found it easiest to put them both under the seat next to the emissions stickers. This way you still have the stickers on the bike.

7) Use some Goo Gone (natural citrus; wont harm paint or hoses) to clean off the remaining goo. Hold a rag in one hand and apply the Goo Gone to the entire area where the sticker used to be. Let sit for approximately 5 minutes to dissolve the goo.

Cool Clean off and enjoy the new sleek look!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, meet any hardship, bear any burden, support any friend, oppose any foe, to ensure the survival and success of liberty"
                                                                      -JFK

2005 Ducati Monster S4R Cheesy
2005 Suzuki SV1000S (for sale)
Slim1899
I break for "0's"

"Ni neart go cur le cheile"

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »

Great idea!  I wish I would have read this a month ago....my stickers shredded when I peeled them off...

2012 Monster 1100 Evo
Nomad

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 10:24:41 AM »

A heat gun also works pretty well, just don't get it too hot...
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:56:23 AM »

yeah, great idea... but i think i would precut the masking tape instead of tracing a xacto over the stickers.  those things are ridiculously sharp and i could see myself pretty easily marking up the paint.

should be pretty easy to just trace the sticker shape on some paper and then use that as a template to cut the tape.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
d3vi@nt

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:51:26 AM »

A heat gun also works pretty well, just don't get it too hot...
...or a hair-dryer for those who are tool-deprived.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
TACstrat

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 07:46:34 PM »

I finally removed the stickers on the frame off my 796 this weekend.  They all came off easily in one piece using a hairdryer and starting from a corner. Once the corner was up, it was easy to peel off by aiming the hot air under the sticker, between the sticker and frame to heat up the glue still holding it on.  I tried using bug remover to clean up the residual glue, but found out lighter fluid worked much better (Ronsonol).  My bike looks much better now!  First mod completed!

The only sticker which was a pain was a Shell Oil sticker on the clutch cover.  That one came off in pieces and had to be scraped off.  I ended up keeping the reflectors on the forks though.  They don't look bad to me and its added safety.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:48:39 PM by TACstrat » Logged
kuzemko

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »

I ended up keeping the reflectors on the forks though.  They don't look bad to me and its added safety.

If you do decide to take them off, fishing line seemed to work really well. If you have some high-test laying around, just pretend you're flossing and slide it between the fork and reflector. The heat gun/hair dryer will probably make this easier, just don't melt the fishing line. If you wear some leather gloves you can pull pretty good on the fishing line without cutting into your own skin. Just slide it through, the reflector will fall off, and then it's just clean-up of the residue!

www.kuzemko.com
Stella - 2010 696
Raux
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »

I used dental floss
Silver duck

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »

I use wd40 for the glue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: