Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 03:08:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 M796 ABS Cold Start Issue  (Read 34827 times)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2013, 01:03:13 PM »

OK, that sounds virtually identical to my symptom. Of course, hold the starter button until it quits. If mine didn't start the first time, it never then started without the on/off, scroll ECU reset unless I cranked it 10 - 15 times..., which I did not feel was "healthy".

For chuckles, if yours doesn't fire on the first attempt on cold start, wait five minutes and try again. So far that has worked for me 98% of the time. It seemed to me that something in the ECU needed that time to reset.

How far are you from your dealer? Mine is 140 miles and "less than convenient". If your issue persists and DNA finally figures out a fix, let us know here! Let your dealer also know that you are not the only one with this identical issue.

Like yours, mine always re-starts when it has been ridden that day. When I had this checked out at 900 miles during my first service, the dealer also found no immobilizer issue, but naturally that day the light was still flashing. BTW, mine's a 2011 with 4,000 miles currently. No ethanol gas and evaps canister removed, although it had this issue from ~ 400 miles and the canister delete had no effect on this cold start issue.

Good info!

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
cmejia1978

« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2013, 01:05:41 PM »

I have an old Monster ( 2002 ) but since I've shopping around for a new LiOn - rechargeable Battery I have read on several sites that for temperatures below 40F - 45F they recommend a 12 cell battery not the standard 8 cell, don't know if this is your case but maybe this helps...
Curmudgeon

« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »

I have an old Monster ( 2002 ) but since I've shopping around for a new LiOn - rechargeable Battery I have read on several sites that for temperatures below 40F - 45F they recommend a 12 cell battery not the standard 8 cell, don't know if this is your case but maybe this helps...
Never say never..., but probably totally unrelated. The engine management and design are just very different. Older bikes also benefit hugely from upgraded battery and starter cables, so they appear to have had a voltage problem.

On these 796's, the cranking can be VERY healthy and the voltage reading high, and STILL no start.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
gitter

« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2013, 10:24:12 AM »

I posted in this thread a while back. I was having the cold start issue. I removed the exhaust servo motor and cable, replaced it with a duc.EE and I havent had a cold start issue since. I'm not sure how the exhaust valve would have and effect on cold starts, but I found this to be noteworthy.
Matiasneto

« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2014, 02:15:20 PM »

hi guys sorry to bring back this old thread. i am having the same problems as was stated before. I am out of warranty so the dealer is out of the question. The voltage on the battery seems fine, don't know what else it could be
Curmudgeon

« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »

hi guys sorry to bring back this old thread. i am having the same problems as was stated before. I am out of warranty so the dealer is out of the question. The voltage on the battery seems fine, don't know what else it could be

If it doesn't catch on the first try and your battery is fully charged, wait 5 minutes and try again. Mine always starts then. Never a problem with warm restarts or restarting the same day. Only if mine sits more than a day.

Matiasneto

« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2014, 12:49:16 PM »

I have a check engine light on. its the exvl code
Curmudgeon

« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2014, 01:19:21 PM »

Have you been doing mods or playing around with anything?! Roll Eyes

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=63190.0

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2014, 11:30:43 PM »

Exhaust valve code.  I have no idea why this affects starting, but it seems it does.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: