Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 04:00:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Absurdly proud of myself!!!! Wheeeeeee  (Read 4805 times)
dolci

« on: June 20, 2008, 05:12:42 AM »

So, I'm still on the GS500E but I have never ridden alone; always with at least one other person.  Part of that is the fear that if I should drop the bike, I'll be stuck forever  ANYWAY I rode to work this morning. 

This weekend, I"m finally going to take the Monster back out and see how that goes. [moto]

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing; however, they can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

2005 620ie
1998 GS500E - gone
Shortie
Do not underestimate the power of stupid.

No longer hangin_biposto! :D

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:26:23 AM »

Good for you!  Grin We must crawl before we can walk, right?

Good luck with the Monster! I expect to see a full ride report come Monday  cheeky

Street - 1991 GSF 400 Bandit
Dirt - 1972 Chaparral ST80

Welcome to cats  Cool

So cute and small.

Such terrible things come out of them  Lips Sealed

www.pbase.com/mcharest
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 06:44:00 AM »

Nicely done!  waytogo

And don't worry about being stuck if you drop the bike when you're on your own (not that I think you will). 

Been there, done that.  You're a girl, just flag down a guy passing by.  Wink

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
jdubbs32584
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 06:54:15 AM »

Yay!!!!!

Congrats hon!  Grin
lauramonster
pissin' on this thread with your

Ride it like you stole it.........

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 07:33:40 AM »

I can't pick up my bike either.  Don't let it keep you from riding.  Like ms incredible said, someone will come help. 

You go girl!!!!!!!!!!! waytogo

Frickin' snow!
Kyna

put put put

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 11:18:18 AM »

I'd be proud too!  Congratulations.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
Hooligal

Dolci

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:31:43 AM »

Wooo hooo!!! I remember the first time I did that too. It was almost 3 years after I got my license that I finally did.  Now I ride to work and around the city all the time  applause

'07 Monster 695 (black & red) w/ Termi pipes
'06 Ninja 500 (red) -sold
'03 Ninja 250 (green) -sold
dolci

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 11:54:22 AM »

Wooo hooo!!! I remember the first time I did that too. It was almost 3 years after I got my license that I finally did.  Now I ride to work and around the city all the time  applause

Are you riding around Boston?   That takes some serious nerve!  I don't like driving around Boston in a cage!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing; however, they can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

2005 620ie
1998 GS500E - gone
Taz Duc

'08 1200L Sportster & '07 S4rs

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »

Way to go Dolci ! waytogo

Glad to hear you got that first solo trip under your belt, because that certainly will boost your confidence to continue your journey.  Also, don't think about dropping your bike, but if you do, don't worry there will be plenty of people willing to help you.  Just a couple of months ago I saw this guy on a big Hog trying to make a very slow U-turn and he dropped it.  Within seconds a truck stopped and a couple of guys got out to help him pick up that heavy beast.
Hooligal

Dolci

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »

Are you riding around Boston?   That takes some serious nerve!  I don't like driving around Boston in a cage!

Ha ha, I agree. I ride mostly north of the river -- Cambridge and Somerville I feel quite comfortable. Boston proper is a different story  Roll Eyes

'07 Monster 695 (black & red) w/ Termi pipes
'06 Ninja 500 (red) -sold
'03 Ninja 250 (green) -sold
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 05:30:20 PM »

I'm sure all of you know, but the easiest way to get large amounts of saddle time is to commute to work.  Play it safe, wear your gear, but the only way to get comfortable is to get out there and twist that throttle.

Congrats, Lisa!  You're the greatest!  I remember my first commute.  It was winter and I was breathing too hard from being so freakin' nervous.  I kept on fogging up my face shield!  Just keep at it and pretty soon you'll feel so comfortable, you won't want to cage it anymore.  You'll look for ways to extend your season and get the gear that allows you to ride as often as possible.

As for picking up your bike on your own, I'd be floored if you couldn't do it.  I know you have back injuries (it's all Geaux's fault!), but you're supposed to lift with your quads anyway.  Just do a nice slightly than wider squat with the bike to your back to the tank side of the bike.  Grab what you can that's fixed to the frame and do a nice clean leg press.  There's nothing to it. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:34:04 PM by Ducatista » Logged

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
dolci

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 06:10:09 PM »

As for picking up your bike on your own, I'd be floored if you couldn't do it.  I know you have back injuries (it's all Geaux's fault!), but you're supposed to lift with your quads anyway.  Just do a nice slightly than wider squat with the bike to your back to the tank side of the bike.  Grab what you can that's fixed to the frame and do a nice clean leg press.  There's nothing to it. 

In theory, yes, I SHOULD be able to do it.  I have one completely ruptured disk and one herniated.  I have almost no feeling or pain or numbness in my left leg almost at all times.  I am currently taking percocet 3x/day just to move like a normal person.  I also have appointment scheduled this week with both a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic surgeon because that appears to be the primary options now left to me.  It's far more complicated than we thought.

2005 620ie
1998 GS500E - gone
Betty Rage
it's a bird! it's a plane! No, it's a

hater

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 06:48:42 PM »

Congrats lady!!

Darkhorse den mother
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 04:41:27 PM »

In theory, yes, I SHOULD be able to do it.  I have one completely ruptured disk and one herniated.  I have almost no feeling or pain or numbness in my left leg almost at all times.  I am currently taking percocet 3x/day just to move like a normal person.  I also have appointment scheduled this week with both a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic surgeon because that appears to be the primary options now left to me.  It's far more complicated than we thought.

OUCH!!! I didn't realize it was that bad! Mebbe trying to pick up the bike isn't such a good plan. Perhaps doing that trick of lying down next to the bike would work better.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
dolci

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 05:49:24 PM »

OUCH!!! I didn't realize it was that bad! Mebbe trying to pick up the bike isn't such a good plan. Perhaps doing that trick of lying down next to the bike would work better.

Oh yes, I can do the damsel in distress.  It sux.  Did acupuncture today; I need 4 rounds of it before I'm expected to see any pain relief (thankfully it's covered by insurance).  I'm keeping my fingers crossed about VIR - if I can relieve the pain with acupuncture and the actual damage won't get worse, I'll go until surgery is the only option.  Hopefully, I can hold out until winter and then recuperate by the fireplace!

2005 620ie
1998 GS500E - gone
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: