Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:24:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bored. went riding. i'm back.  (Read 2093 times)
vwboomer

« on: June 20, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »

slow day today. nothin goin on. Can't finish up any projects around the house or do much of anything until the appraiser comes through. No sense prettying it up since it would hurt my chances of being able to buy it from the ho.

So I warshed up the S4R and went riding. Figured I'd use the GPS and keep track of where I went. Turns out I ride around aimlessly Wink bout 250 miles. There really are no good roads around here.

Next wednesday morning I"m off work for a week, and am probably going to head up to Lakewood for some drinkin. Couple friends are going fishing, but I haven't fished in years. So I'm thinking I"ll try that hiway 55 N of Shawano and see what that's like. Then I'm thinking of heading to the western part of the state to run one of the loops on sundaymorningrides.com. I'm guessing that'll be an overnighter since it's quite a ways just to get there.

anyone done either of those routes? I'm lookin at either http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/1953516/  or http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/5852008/

Too bad my rotors are warped. Makes any application of the brakes over 50mph pretty shaky affairs.

2005 S4R - Sato, PM, CC, Sargeant
2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
Ducatiloo

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »

Haven't done either but that 2nd one looks like fun.

Lack of breaks equals better driving focus  waytogo

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
vwboomer

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:55:57 AM »

Heading out today for Lakewood. I've got the GPS loaded with 3 routes for the western part of the state/mn.
I tried moving trailheads and whatnot but I don't know if it worked. I'm fixing to run this one first
http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/1953516/

but get off in Arcadia, then head to this one
http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/5852008/

Course it's 200+ miles to get there so it's going to be an overnighter somewhere. I'm taking lots of ibuprofen. Everything ought to hurt by the time I get to the MN border Wink

The only problem with following someone else's track is there are a few uturns in there. I'll try to edit them out when i get back.

2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
oldschool55

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »

Ive been on just about every one of those roads.  You are going to love it...if you can, hit up county road P from Coon Valley to just south of Wildcat Mountain.  Probably my favorite road in the area, plus its like 30 miles long, full of twisties.  Well, it looks like you are hitting the last part of the P, possibly the best.  Wildcat has gravel on it in one part from reconstruction, and this weekend is the 50th, or 100th (not real sure) anniversary of the Mindoro Cut (HWY 108), so that might be busy too.  Also, it is the 50th anniversary of S&S cycle, and takes place in LaCrosse, so look out for large groups, of slow Harley riders. 

Enjoy your ride.   waytogo waytogo
vwboomer

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 07:30:41 AM »

I did see a ton of Harley riders around LaCrosse. That explains it.
Got back last night. The first two legs were good - Rode 55 up to Iron river, then swung around to Lakewood for the evening. 289mi. After heavily denting the old fashioned supplies at the Waubee lodge, we retired for the evening  drink drink drink

Hit the road round 930 Friday morning and started the river route near St Croix. Unfortunately hwy F had a section under construction that was packed dirt/gravel. And it had just rained. It was only a mile or so, but the bike is covered in mud. The tail chop definitely didn't help.
It was a scenic ride, and went well even tho the GPS was giving me lip. it kept telling me to take uturns and crap. That's the problem with using someone else's route I guess. Riding along the Mississippi I was trailing a storm so the roads were wet and it threatened rain, but never actually did. Got off the route in Arcadia as planned and headed to wildcat mountain. That's where the trouble began! The route starts in the state park. Which is a fee area. But no one was around. Got to the starting point and it told me which way to go. Then kept telling me to go offroad and recalculating. I tried it a couple times but it wouldn't find the route. So I tried changing the starting point, but that just gave me a 3 mile trip right back to the end point  bang head I had no idea where to go so I kinda headed south and east - rain in the west again.
Long story short I missed out on that route, but did hit some nice country roads just by bumming around. Decided to head home since I didn't have any other route to run.

I hate driving at night, especially on unfamiliar country roads. motorcycle headlights suck. I kept my brights on, but still don't like it.
1025 total miles later I pulled into the driveway. Legs killing me and knees screaming. Stopping only for gas I was on the road for about 14 hours - 739 miles.
Next time I'll have  a backup plan and maps.

But who knew Wisconsin had switchbacks?? Time to go clean the bike. That should take a couple hours  [moto]

2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: