Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 02:43:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blew out a belt on the highway. NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY  (Read 18090 times)
NAKID

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 11:45:05 PM »

i would just remove it to avoid hassles.  it takes 10-20 minutes, it is not rocket science.
It takes you 10-20 mins to remove a PCIII? I just did it, took me less than 5...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 03:38:30 AM »

Why remove the PC3, the dealer themselves installed it, they should understand it wouldn't affect the warranty at all, or they will be admitting any incompetance in there install. I would leave it the way it is.

If it's the Arrows and PC3 you're worried about don't. If you have some other mod that could cause damage to the belts, maybe.

If the dealer mods the bike, they accept all responsibility. Unless they had you sign a waiver saying it would void your warranty.

On a side note would running open covers or just pulley covers like Rizoma's give you a warranty fight?

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 03:57:38 AM »

It takes you 10-20 mins to remove a PCIII? I just did it, took me less than 5...

i was being generous

Why remove the PC3, the dealer themselves installed it, they should understand it wouldn't affect the warranty at all, or they will be admitting any incompetance in there install. I would leave it the way it is.

If it's the Arrows and PC3 you're worried about don't. If you have some other mod that could cause damage to the belts, maybe.

If the dealer mods the bike, they accept all responsibility. Unless they had you sign a waiver saying it would void your warranty.

On a side note would running open covers or just pulley covers like Rizoma's give you a warranty fight?

because the warranty folks don't care what the dealers do.  they are happy to deny the warranty and let you sue the dealer.

the point is to decrease the reasons for the claim to be denied, that is all.  you want the situation to be as straight-forward as possible for the claims.

the dealer is happy to install non-standard parts and you are responsible if it voids the warranty.  they are acting as YOUR agent, so it is no different if you did it yourself.

yes, removing the belt covers would definitely give you trouble for a fragged belt.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
LUKE

07 S4RT Green Bay, WI

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 05:34:12 AM »

Well, he should plan longer for me.  I can't even find my bottle opener and cigar cutter in 5 minutes laughingdp Vino!

BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 09:50:09 AM »

Post some pics and keep us informed.  I am next in line behind Norm if they scrap the engine Wink

Good luck!

M-ROCin' it!!!
JDS 07 S4Rs

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 12:12:57 PM »

Frick,,,,,,,,,,, 5000 miles & the belt blew,,, thats makes me a little nervous.
Can hardly wait to see what comes of this. I am sure that you will make out ok with the warranty. Might be without your S4R for a while tho Cry

I think I am going to do a little inspection myself,,,,,better safe then sorry.

2007 S4RS
2007 1098S Salvage Title (that's it. NO MORE BIKES)
02 GSXR 750 Trackbike - Ins Write/off
06 ZX636R Trackbike  - Ins Write-off (I couldnt help it, the price was right)
2003 BMW 1150R
2004 450 YZ
&,,, a few others :-)
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 12:20:29 PM »

Sounds like a no brainer for warranty. make sure any and all parts damaged get replaced and not just let go because they are good enough. The motor should be returned to the condition it was in before the belt broke. If the fix is going to take too long see if the dealer or ducati can sweeten the deal for you missing the season due to faulty oem parts.
ie :big bore kit , free 6k service
It has happened before. Wink

I would also love to know why the belt failed.
Was it an over tensioned belt?
debris between the belt and pulley?
seized tensioner?
mis-aligned pulleys? (don't ask How I know about this one bang head)

be sure both belts are new when all is done.
good luck
ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 05:14:04 PM »

curious  do  you have modded belt covers ??

thats the only warranty problem i can see
aaronb

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 05:39:32 PM »

luke, last summer i made a warranty claim at Corse and it went perfectly.   i found what i suspected to be a hairline crack that started in the heat affected zone of one of the welds on my swing arm.  i took it corse and it took Tim, their head tech, 30 seconds to decide to warranty it.  ten days later i had my bike back with a new BLACK swing arm. 

tim was great to work with, when i requested a black swing arm he said he would ask DNA for one as a replacement and if not we set up an outside vendor to take care of it.  he quoted me $50 to send the swing arm out to be ano'd, but DNA came through with a black piece from an s4r.

so i wouldn't freak out, just take it in, ask them about painting options if you want, and let them take care of it. 

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 09:43:08 PM »

I have only heard of Ducati refusing a warranty claim on a bike with a PC is if the damage was due to fueling, ie, running extremely lean.  Also, unless DNA sends someone down to inspect the bike or the dealer says something DNA wouldn't know anyway.
Cucciolo

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 10:20:35 PM »

This is a tough time of year for fast repairs at a dealership.

I hear that... my tech had like 6 bikes he had to work on before mine..and he is all by himself.. I've been anxiously waiting for my bike for 2 weeks,..........  bang head
And after reading this thread.. I am glad that I will have the new belts installed on my bike when I pick it up!

I am sorry that you are going to miss at least 2 weeks in this whole process.... this forum will become your best friend to help you vent and get advise! I really thank you ALL for this forum!  applause
NAKID

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 10:56:40 PM »

I have only heard of Ducati refusing a warranty claim on a bike with a PC is if the damage was due to fueling, ie, running extremely lean.  Also, unless DNA sends someone down to inspect the bike or the dealer says something DNA wouldn't know anyway.

That makes sense though. Blowing out a belt because of a PCIII doesn't..

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
EEL

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 02:05:10 PM »

I have had BS thrown my way on multiple occasions. Give me an aftermarket part and I'll give you an irrational analysis from a dealer.

I.E. Your PCIII was not configured right -> hence your bike was running lean -> resulted in higher than normal cylinder head temperature -> excessive heat resulted in early belt failure. Warranty void.

You're going to have to deal with this crap from dealers all the time. Dont try to fight it. Just go to a different dealer till you get the answer you want. There are some reasonable ones out there.

Ducatiloo

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 02:12:50 PM »

I'm sure that Corse will be cool about this.  Good luck Luke

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
vwboomer

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 04:31:07 AM »

Slightly different cost factor, but when I told Tim my speedo needle bounced he just ordered a new cluster and didn't even bother looking at it. That was my only warranty claim but it was good.
What sucks is I'm sure you'll probably have to wait a month or more to get your bike back. Hopefully I'm wrong, cuz I find anything more than a week or two unacceptable.

2005 S4R - Sato, PM, CC, Sargeant
2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: