Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 09:37:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blew out a belt on the highway. NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY  (Read 18084 times)
LUKE

07 S4RT Green Bay, WI

« on: June 20, 2008, 06:06:59 PM »

The engine just shut down on the highway on my way home tonight.  No sputtering, just dead.  I tried twice to restart it but it doesn't sound right.  Everything else seemed OK so now that I am home I've pulled the belt covers to find that my vertical belt is shredded.  Am I screwed?  Did I just bend a valve?  My nearest dealer is more then 100 miles away so I won't get it there for more then a week.  I am under warranty so I hope all is well but this is my pride and joy.  I am just panicing I guess.
Thanks for any speculation.

Luke
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:40:03 PM by LUKE » Logged

Stangman
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »

That happened to my buddy's S4.  He ended up having to pick up a used motor on Ebay cause his was toast.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, especially to a fellow Wisconsiner.

Atleast you are under warranty though.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 06:45:22 PM »

Sorry to hear that.  Sad

You're under warranty, so don't panic.

How many miles on your bike?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
LUKE

07 S4RT Green Bay, WI

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »

ran like a top until now.

I'll call Corse Superbikes in the morning.

bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »

ran like a top until now.

I'll call Corse Superbikes in the morning.

Good luck - don't let them palm you off - push _real_ hard for a warranty repair.

big

NAKID

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 12:55:04 AM »

And they should come pick up the bike....

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
LUKE

07 S4RT Green Bay, WI

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 03:44:31 AM »

And they should come pick up the bike....
I already called Roadside Assistance to tow me home.  They said they would pay the $200 for the tow but I have to be reimbursed.  That seems pretty tacky but at the side of the highway with storms coming I wasn't in position to argue.

Good luck - don't let them palm you off - push _real_ hard for a warranty repair.
I really hope I don't have a fight on my hands.  As you know my bike is heavily modified.  Even though that has nothing to do with what happened, I'm sure someone will point out the Arrows and PC3 and get me all bothered.  At least the dealer installed the PC3.

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 04:00:06 AM »

I already called Roadside Assistance to tow me home.  They said they would pay the $200 for the tow but I have to be reimbursed.  That seems pretty tacky but at the side of the highway with storms coming I wasn't in position to argue.

that is pretty standard.  they don't have a fleet of tow trucks on the standby and they have to review your claim once you are towed. 

I really hope I don't have a fight on my hands.  As you know my bike is heavily modified.  Even though that has nothing to do with what happened, I'm sure someone will point out the Arrows and PC3 and get me all bothered.  At least the dealer installed the PC3.

i would remove the pc3.  warranty hassles will be less.

a shredded belt has nothing to do with the pc3 and we all know that, but Italians do not understand what "Magneson-Moss" is.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Norm

hurricanemotorcycles.com

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 04:47:01 AM »

You probably have a bent valve, a bad guide, and maybe a tweeked valve seat. None of those are very expensive. Any digs in the head or piston should be fine as long as they aren't too big. The only thing that could get expensive is if you've scratched the cylinder wall deep enough that it's beyond replating - then you give it to someone like me.
I would check the waiting list at the dealer & maybe pop the head so they could do their inspection & order parts without waiting for a tech to free up. This is a tough time of year for fast repairs at a dealership.
Spike

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 05:12:32 AM »

Sorry for your mishap and good luck on the repairs. Hopefully it won't be that bad and you will get back on the road soon. (Crossing fingerz)
LUKE

07 S4RT Green Bay, WI

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 06:14:09 AM »

I am always amazed how much knowledge there is in this community .
An appointment has been made with Corse to drop off the bike on Tuesday.  Corse is a really good dealer so I am anticipating a positive experience.  The only problem is that they are backed up in the shop this time of year.  The guy said not to worry about returning the bike to stock.  He said they have a good relationship with DNA and just to leave the mods as is.

Thanks everyone.  I was just sick about the bike and got worried.
Do you think if they pull the engine they'll ship it out to paint it black? Grin
I'll let you know in a couple weeks.

Luke

CRASH!

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 09:53:48 AM »

If the bike has 5k miles, you're within the service interval of the original cam belts. Slam dunk. Case closed. The factory installed and tensioned the OE belts. A belt failed. Warranty covers it. NO mods affect the life of the cam belt.

I wouldn't worry about removing mods. Doesn't matter what Italians understand about warranty law, your US dealer and Ducati USA get it.

You've certainly bent stuff...
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 10:41:42 AM »

I wouldn't worry about removing mods. Doesn't matter what Italians understand about warranty law, your US dealer and Ducati USA get it.

my comment was regarding prior experience and others who reported warranty problems when they had PCIII's installed.

legally, you are correct, but that just means he has a cause of action if they deny a warranty claim -- which means litigation costs to enforce the warranty.

i would just remove it to avoid hassles.  it takes 10-20 minutes, it is not rocket science.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Hedgehog

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 10:53:58 AM »

Good luck.  Hope nothing serious is damaged.  Here's a pic of a belt that shredded on me, due to being too tight.  Fortunately, mine didn't slip.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:58:33 AM by Hedgehog » Logged
LUKE

07 S4RT Green Bay, WI

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »

that's pretty much what mine looks like. laughingdp

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: