Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 17, 2024, 08:51:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 163   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The power of orange compels you!  (Read 471279 times)
GK

« Reply #1710 on: January 13, 2016, 11:08:21 PM »

Even the carbon fiber set?

Typo in the ad!

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1711 on: January 17, 2016, 11:20:04 PM »

Took a '15 690 Duke out for a short test blat today.
I've been on very few big singles lately, last one was a KLR650 that left me very lukewarm.
The bulk of this feedback is in comparison to my '98 M750 with FCR39's and well-sorted suspension, which I rode to and from.

Bike had about 100 miles on it, so still a bit tight.
Apparently stock other than an Akrapovic can, powerparts seat, and translucent airbox cover..

Brakes good.

Suspension...so-so.
No knobs or screws to twiddle, so there it is.

Felt light and nimble, but wasn't allowed on any sort of twisty road.

Ergos good for around town.
A bit too upright for highway duty, and with no fairing the windblast was annoying.
Lower bars would 90% sort that out.

Mildly buzzy on the highway.
I'd likely fit a rear sprocket 2 or 3 teeth smaller.

Engine was a bit ratchety below 3k steady cruise on city streets, fine above.
And was fine accelerating through 3k.
Perhaps that could be sorted with mapping or somesuch tuning.

Engine a bit soft on the bottom, but charged hard on the top.
Prior to ride, asked salesman if it was RBW, he said no..... subsequent research says indeed RBW.  Undecided
Which likely explains the 'soft on the bottom', and further lowers my opinion of RBW.
Not the worst RBW I've sampled (M821 and Hyp821 - fookin' awful), nor the best (Pani899 and MTS12).
Not a big deal, I imagine I'd recalibrate fairly quickly.

Many of the above items I didn't like are the same as from my test ride of a Scrambler.
Both bikes built to a price point, granted.
But man, I've got a hard time reconciling the price point knocking on the door of 5 figures.  Lips Sealed
Git offa mah lawn.

My original intention was to test ride a '16 690 Enduro, but those aren't out yet.
Salesman said they probably wouldn't get one for test rides, as they had deposits for all the ones they were likely to get.
If I understood correctly, it seemed like he suggested that a deposit would increase the chance of a test-ride.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1712 on: January 18, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »

Salesman didn't know his stuff... the LC4 bikes have been RBW since 2008 or so.

The good news there is (if they current ones are like the ~2008) they carry multiple maps the user can select And if you get TuneECU you can totally  change the throttle response map. So getting that soft bottom (ahem) out of it might be as simple as using a different map they bike already has, or tweaking some numbers in a table.

They carried fuel maps and throttle tables in different files. Made fussing pretty easy. Once under my control, my 08 Enduro got two of three throttle maps re-done heavily

The R bikes get clickers... but the US doesn't get the R bikes...  Roll Eyes

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #1713 on: January 18, 2016, 09:25:04 AM »

^^^ The 690R Enduro is available in the states.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1714 on: January 18, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »

I was talking about the Duke 690 specifically. No Duke 690 Rs are coming to the US.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1715 on: January 18, 2016, 09:43:01 AM »

I specifically asked about riding modes.  Sad

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #1716 on: January 18, 2016, 09:47:09 AM »

I was talking about the Duke 690 specifically. No Duke 690 Rs are coming to the US.

waytogo An SMR wheel set on the Enduro R would make a sweet bike. The 690 in general is a finicky motor. I went one tooth down on the front (like we do with the Monster) to make it more user friendly around town. I also changed out the exhaust, got rid of the airbox, put a Bazazz on it, and tuned it on the Dyno. It runs like a scalded dog now.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1717 on: January 18, 2016, 09:48:15 AM »

Hmm, I know some varient of the Duke has maps/modes. But they might not be on the base one... I've not read up that tightly on them.

Though that sales guy ... might not be the best source of info since he didn't know it was RBW

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #1718 on: January 18, 2016, 09:52:42 AM »

They do have different modes, none of which really made a 'big' difference on my 08. They have to dumb that engine down to get it to pass the Euro specs, but it can be 'opened' back up so to speak. It also seems to have 'learned' my riding style.

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1719 on: January 18, 2016, 10:05:09 AM »

Again talking about the newest ones. Your 08 is running the same software as my 08 Enduro. On the Enduro, there was a "Soft" map loaded that really changed stuff. It capped the throttle to 40% regardless of how much you twisted it... that sucked. It got re tooled on ye-olde software bench.

And there was a "Normal" and something like a sport map. Those didn't seem too different at first. Again, remapping! So the sporty/hard one got it's numbers dialed to be a 1:1 - so the computer was treating the RWB signals like it was a good old push/pull cable being twisted on.

And I left "Normal" as it was - a bit muted on the low end made it friendlier for commute riding in tight urban traffic

But I'd expect that the Dukes didn't have something like the "soft" map that was super noticeably different give their road going bias. But you could get TuneECU for free, and the right cables and see what's what on the throttle maps.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #1720 on: January 18, 2016, 10:12:37 AM »

The 08 has soft, advanced and standard. I'm willing to bet the new one is the same.

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1721 on: January 18, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »

Advanced... that's what they called it.

And it probably does. I was just sayin' I've not read up enough to be certain.

And yeah, not really that much difference in the factory Standard and Advanced maps. They were too similar in day to day riding... until one twiddles their tables.  Evil

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #1722 on: January 18, 2016, 10:37:55 AM »

Toby Price wins Dakar on a KTM. First Australian to win it.  applause

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2016/01/ktms-toby-price-wins-dakar-rally-first-win-for-an-australian/

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1723 on: January 18, 2016, 10:45:30 AM »

I'm impressed that the throttle maps are easily tweaked.

Is the map 'capped' at 1:1 or something similar, so you can't fat-finger a table entry?

On the M821 I rode, the 'Urban' map felt like how you're describing the 'soft' map.
My first impression was that it'd be a bad thing, it was so freakin' slow I'd be afraid of getting squashed by a Yugo.

Does the KTM ever do any throttle control on it's own?
The 821 would occasionally blip the throttle a tiny bit when I was rolling to a stop with the clutch in.
I don't remember the exact scenario, it may control the idle speed, and blipped to avoid a stall.
I found it extremely disconcerting.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1724 on: January 18, 2016, 11:05:44 AM »

I'm impressed that the throttle maps are easily tweaked.

Is the map 'capped' at 1:1 or something similar, so you can't fat-finger a table entry?

On the M821 I rode, the 'Urban' map felt like how you're describing the 'soft' map.
My first impression was that it'd be a bad thing, it was so freakin' slow I'd be afraid of getting squashed by a Yugo.

Does the KTM ever do any throttle control on it's own?
The 821 would occasionally blip the throttle a tiny bit when I was rolling to a stop with the clutch in.
I don't remember the exact scenario, it may control the idle speed, and blipped to avoid a stall.
I found it extremely disconcerting.

Have a look over here SD:
http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?128409-KTM-690-SMC-Ignition-amp-Fuel-tests-with-TuneECU

Particularly
http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?128409-KTM-690-SMC-Ignition-amp-Fuel-tests-with-TuneECU&p=1733154#post1733154

You'll see a map with all 100s, in every cell. Thats the edit that makes the RWB respond exactly to any alteration of the throttle tube.  So it's a set up to be capped at 100 which is 1:1. You cannot exceed 1:1

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 163   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: