Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 18, 2024, 12:16:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 163   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The power of orange compels you!  (Read 466598 times)
Triple J
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »

A 300 is good for lazy riders in the east too 'cause you can ride around a couple of gears high and lug it and still cover ground at decent speed.  

This is why he was recommending the 300 (and a rekluse clutch)...it can be lugged, which is good for our tight riding. A lot of our riding looks like mountain bike single track with big trees waiting to rub you off the bike. We have to go to the eastern side of the state for open riding.

Like you, he likes the lower weight and simplified motor of 2 strokes. Probably the pre-mix exhaust smell as well!  laughingdp
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:29:42 PM by Triple J » Logged
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »

Anything I should know about as far as "must do" upgrades for the bike itself?

I already found a different seat I think I'm going to get.  My butt bones still hurt from sunday if i sit on a bench or something without padding Cool

I also think a remote fuel screw would be a nice add to the fcr carb since the starter is directly in the way of accessing that thing with the carb on the bike.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
bikepilot

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »

Not that I know of, KTMs come nicely setup out of the box. Stand up more and when you are sitting you should still be supporting most of your weight with your legs most of the time.  You should have sore leg muscles and a peachy butt after a ride  laughingdp  And by "stand up" I don't mean bolt upright, usually your butt only needs to be a few inches off the seat, you'll have better control that way than standing straight up.

TJ, I do just fine  on 125s in super tight stuff (even raced a D7 series on a YZ125 years ago), but it is a different riding style.  I also haven't taken to auto clutches, but they are a definite help if you don't have a deft left hand.  I imagine i might go for an auto-clutch 300 when I'm old and lazy, for now I like small bores and manual clutches cheeky.  Just my preference, certainly a lot of folks out there on auto clutch 300s having fun with them.  Riding a small bore two stroke is a lot like riding a 600cc I4 street bike while a big bore two stroke or a four stroke is more like riding a 1198.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:52:39 PM by bikepilot » Logged

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »

Not that I know of, KTMs come nicely setup out of the box. Stand up more and when you are sitting you should still be supporting most of your weight with your legs most of the time.  You should have sore leg muscles and a peachy butt after a ride  laughingdp  And by "stand up" I don't mean bolt upright, usually your butt only needs to be a few inches off the seat, you'll have better control that way than standing straight up.

I get that.  The problem is miles of road I have to ride on to get to where I can stand up and ride Wink

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2011, 01:01:23 PM »

well...if I had my druthers, I'd win the lottery and just buy a house with a big ass plot of land and have a big ass barn style 2 level garage...then it'd be all solved....and I'd cut in a lil dirt track for playtime on the mini as well...
Until then...you can store the Gran Canyon here.

Now you have room. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »

Until then...you can store the Gran Canyon here.

Now you have room. Grin

hahahahahahaa....and I bet you'll take GREAT care of it won't ya?   laughingdp Wink chug drink

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »

hahahahahahaa....and I bet you'll take GREAT care of it won't ya?   laughingdp Wink chug drink
I promise I won't let Knight ride it if that's where you're going with that. Tongue

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »

I promise I won't let Knight ride it if that's where you're going with that. Tongue

actually, I was just making sure it wasn't going to find it's way into a bonfire at DIMBY or on some highlight reel of people doing dumb things on 2 wheels ( which Trav riding it can qualify to a degree-J/K...I keeed I keeed) ...but you get the sentiment...LOL

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »

actually, I was just making sure it wasn't going to find it's way into a bonfire at DIMBY or on some highlight reel of people doing dumb things on 2 wheels ( which Trav riding it can qualify to a degree-J/K...I keeed I keeed) ...but you get the sentiment...LOL
The bonfire is a definite no....

we only burn stuff that's finished anyway. Your bike isn't that bad..is it?

On line video of stupid antics is always a possibility. Tongue

perspective

rockaduc

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2011, 02:26:12 PM »

Anything I should know about as far as "must do" upgrades for the bike itself?

I already found a different seat I think I'm going to get.  My butt bones still hurt from sunday if i sit on a bench or something without padding Cool

I also think a remote fuel screw would be a nice add to the fcr carb since the starter is directly in the way of accessing that thing with the carb on the bike.

Welcome to the club (I have a 2010 std 450 EXC)!!  Firstly, i would add you should change the gearing.  The stock gearing is terrible (at least for the north western NJ trails i ride).  I dropped 2 teeth up front and went up 3 in the back and am going to go up 2 more this winter.  I am pretty sure your model came with the fan on the rad.  i would still recommend you drain the stock coolant and replace it with Evans.  Also, proper jetting on these bikes is a MUST.  They come way too lean from the factory to pass emissions. Did you install a JD jet kit?  Also, set the sag for your weight and riding style.  These bikes are very sensitive to proper suspension settings.  The stock Metzlers will wear VERY quickly, so be prepared to need a new rear before you hit 10-12 hrs.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
KnightofNi
Lift my kilt to see my

still wearing the tin foil hat

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2011, 02:30:55 PM »

hey now. not everything i do on a bike is dumb. lol

Life, alas is very drear. Up with the glass and down with the beer!
Seriously, when i am 800years old i want to rock like Lemmy! it is a religion that requires lots of determination, drugs, and Marshall stacks.

now with clavicle of steel (stainless) wrist o' steel (11/2011)
rockaduc

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »

Also, get on KTMtalk, TONS of usefull info.
Keep an eye on your spokes, KTM's often come from the factory w/ loose spokes. Put anit-seize on your chain adjuster bolts.
Be prepared for your rear tire to eat your licence plate for lunch unless you replace the stock tail piece with a wired unit from an XCW.

I'm sure i am forgetting something, but it will come to me.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2011, 03:04:27 PM »

@rockaduck

Dealer added the fan and desmogged it from the get go. I'm sure they tuned the carb some. I think it runs pretty good now.

The rear is original and the center is worn pretty bad from lots of road riding.  29hrs/760 miles on it.

PO changed to 52T rear and is the same weight as me. Smiley

Re: the JD jet kit, my dealer said they wouldn't jd jet a lawn mower.  laughingdp  Ill go with their recommendations on jetting. I trust them.

I have a racing/hanging idle that I suspect is a fuel screw needing adjustment. Pilot jet is confirmed to be clear.

rockaduc

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »

@rockaduck

Re: the JD jet kit, my dealer said they wouldn't jd jet a lawn mower.  laughingdp  Ill go with their recommendations on jetting. I trust them.

I have a racing/hanging idle that I suspect is a fuel screw needing adjustment. Pilot jet is confirmed to be clear.
I will respectfully disagree w/ your dealer's assesment of the JD kit. 
The hanging idle as you described it could very well be from a "munged-up" float.  These bikes don't do well if they are left w/ fuel sitting in the bowl.  Drain it and see if that doesn't help.  I always drain the float bowl after a ride.  It takes 15 seconds.

Good luck!!

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »

Zooom, I also recommend throwing another party and inviting Massimo.  You'll be out of booze in no time and have room for another bike or two.   Cheesy

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 163   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: