Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 18, 2024, 12:20:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 163   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The power of orange compels you!  (Read 466604 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2011, 05:42:03 PM »

I will respectfully disagree w/ your dealer's assesment of the JD kit. 
The hanging idle as you described it could very well be from a "munged-up" float.  These bikes don't do well if they are left w/ fuel sitting in the bowl.  Drain it and see if that doesn't help.  I always drain the float bowl after a ride.  It takes 15 seconds.

Good luck!!

We ran the whole carb through the ultrasonic tank for about 20 minutes. It should be good to go.

Good call on draining the float bowl. But, after every ride?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2011, 05:57:02 PM »

man up and stop crying about the seat  cheeky
mine is a wooden plank too and I did the 250 mile commute on it 2 weeks ago

and my tailbone hurt like hell for a few days after  laughingdp
It was fun to ride a mud covered bike through Harlem though  Grin

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
rockaduc

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2011, 06:10:28 PM »

We ran the whole carb through the ultrasonic tank for about 20 minutes. It should be good to go.

Good call on draining the float bowl. But, after every ride?

I have found that it doesn't like to have fuel sitting in there.  I was having an idle situation similar to yours and it was difficult to get the bike to idle while cold.  Read about draining the float on KTMtalk and started doing it...haven't had an issue since. waytogo

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »

Interesting. 

Ill give it a shot

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
KnightofNi
Lift my kilt to see my

still wearing the tin foil hat

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »

what do you guys think?

it's not the 690 i wanted, but it would work

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743275

Life, alas is very drear. Up with the glass and down with the beer!
Seriously, when i am 800years old i want to rock like Lemmy! it is a religion that requires lots of determination, drugs, and Marshall stacks.

now with clavicle of steel (stainless) wrist o' steel (11/2011)
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2011, 02:40:26 AM »

what do you guys think?

You can probably find a NOS somewhere for the same price, or maybe cheaper if you look around hard/long enough. Sure it won't have the farkles, but it would be all yours from the get go.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2011, 03:59:19 AM »

what do you guys think?

honestly Trav...I think you need to heal up 1st and bank the cash you collect for when you are ready to ride, and can buy then without hesitation and ride it right away rather than torture yourself looking at amachine you can't ride yet...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2011, 04:14:30 AM »

what do you guys think?

That's a very well setup machine!  I think you'll like the extra power over the 690. I rode DTM's 690 and while it was cool, I'd never give up my 950 for it. So much torque. The 990 would be even better than mine by a bit.

If you can get it, I'd get it.

You'll heal in time no matter what. The bike wont be around forever. Will there be other bikes later on? Yes.

However, I've learned that if its really the right deal you can't wait. You have to go for it asap or someone else will grab it.

My 02

rockaduc

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2011, 05:20:16 AM »

If you can get it, get it. I'm a big fan of the adventure bikes.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
bikepilot

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »

The 990 is well setup.  I think the usefulness of one is limited as its awfully heavy to use off road and the skinny tires sorta suck on-road.  If you wanted to do comfortable, long-distance touring that involved a lot of dirt roads and mild off road its the best.  Personally I'd rather have something with sticky 17" tires for the street and a durable, relatively light thumper for off road stuff.  My XR650R for example is quite comfortable, totally bulletproof and a billion times easier to ride in the dirt than a 990.  Of course it won't carry nearly as much luggage and isn't capable of 2-up riding.  Still, it makes a good long-distance tourer if you travel light.  A couple summers ago I rode it to a 5th overall in Vegas to Reno, then toured around baja for a week, then toured around colorado for two weeks.  I can't think of another bike I'd have rather had for that sort of thing.  If I'd been two up with a wife, tent, etc., the 990 would have been way better for the touring bits, but solo the thumper works well and doesn't give up all that much on the road.

As far as big adv bikes go the 990 is by far the best off road imo.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:19:35 PM by bikepilot » Logged

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
KnightofNi
Lift my kilt to see my

still wearing the tin foil hat

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2011, 02:22:31 PM »

i really do like the thumpers. while i (really)like going 150mph, i don't need to do it. i prefer light weight off road. esp if i have to pick it up a few times.  waytogo
i'm thinking 690adv or gs800. something good offroad and that can hold some luggage and me on a decent trip. i have done 600+mile days on a xr650l and regretted it. i loved the bike, but long distance was awful. another isn't completely written off just yet, it's just not high on the list.

honestly Trav...I think you need to heal up 1st and bank the cash you collect for when you are ready to ride, and can buy then without hesitation and ride it right away rather than torture yourself looking at amachine you can't ride yet...

i'm not going to buy it for another month or so. i already decided i'm not buying until i can walk again.
besides, i have nowhere to store it.

Life, alas is very drear. Up with the glass and down with the beer!
Seriously, when i am 800years old i want to rock like Lemmy! it is a religion that requires lots of determination, drugs, and Marshall stacks.

now with clavicle of steel (stainless) wrist o' steel (11/2011)
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2011, 04:00:55 PM »

i really do like the thumpers. while i (really)like going 150mph, i don't need to do it. i prefer light weight off road. esp if i have to pick it up a few times.  waytogo
i'm thinking 690adv or gs800. something good offroad and that can hold some luggage and me on a decent trip. i have done 600+mile days on a xr650l and regretted it. i loved the bike, but long distance was awful. another isn't completely written off just yet, it's just not high on the list.

i'm not going to buy it for another month or so. i already decided i'm not buying until i can walk again.
besides, i have nowhere to store it.
If you get a thumper I promise to suffer a long distance trip on mine beside you.  Cool
I'm satisfied that I found mine will do 111 the other day. That's good enough, it's do damn quick for a dirt bike anyway.  laughingdp

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »

The smc is more street biased isn't it?

lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »

The smc is more street biased isn't it?
rims and tires alone don't make it a street bike
the spring rates might be slightly different too but it's pretty hardcore for long rides

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
bikepilot

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2011, 04:55:06 PM »

You wouldn't wanna to serious off road on street tires, that's for sure!

Distance all sorta depends, off road you can cover more distance with less work on a thumper, on road its the other way around.  I've done a 600 mile day on my XR650R and that was all off road, with about half (literally) big trophy-truck-created whoops, probably a hundred miles of silt beds and the rest rocky fire roads.  I also got a shiny thing at the end of the ride. Evil  With current gearing the 650R pulls about 107mph actual on the top end and it'll pull that in sand or silt, just rpm limited.  Its certainly dramatically inferior to a 990 for long distance road touring, but for covering long distances in say baja, I'd go further with less work on the XR (provided you take the fun roads, not the paved ones).  If I were riding roads from VA to CA I'd much rather have the 990, but I'd rather have a SMT over that.  There are certainly good uses for a 990 ADV, but I think a lot of folks buy them then end up using them for the road exclusively and would have been a lot better off with an SMT.  Just something to consider, all fun bikes  Dolph

As far as fairly hardcore thumpers go the 690 is quite smooth and civilized with low vibration and a nice 6spd gearbox. Same is true of the husqvarna 630.  Heck a certain DMF'er rode his 690 clear across the country!

As for the BMW 800, I'd rank the KTM 990 adventure as more capable off road I think (I haven't flogged an 800 off road, but my brief experience with one didn't really impress me - also I've the few I've seen that were flogged hard off road suffered bent shock mounts and other such stuff.   Except for soft rims, the big KTM is really built for real off road, it just takes a heck of a rider to pull it off with that much weight.  The 800 isn't built to the same standard imo.  The 800's advantage is in more relaxed on and off road touring where it uses far less fuel and takes a bit less rider skill to handle in slow speed stuff.  Don't forget about the super enduro either if its a huge off roader you are thinking about.

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 163   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: