Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 02:32:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rear wheel tapered spacer???????  (Read 2383 times)
jerryz

« on: June 22, 2008, 06:28:03 AM »

rear wheel tapered spacer?Huh?Huh?
Which is the correct way to fit the rear wheel tapered spacer on the sprocket side ,is it with the taper towards the wheel or with the taper towards the swing arm?

None of my manuals or parts books Haynes ,Ducati or DT shows the correct way???

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 06:56:13 AM »

Small side towards the wheel, large side to the swingarm..

94 M900, 64 Diana 250
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:10:46 AM »

Small side towards the wheel, large side to the swingarm..

+1......include your year and model next time for better/faster responses.

M-ROCin' it!!!
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 02:20:41 PM »

+1......include your year and model next time for better/faster responses.
Except for this particular question, it's the same answer for all Ducatis that don't have single-sided swingarms.

If you think about what that spacer is supposed to do, it should be obvious that you want the maximum area against the swingarm, especially if you have an aluminum swingarm.  The tapered part only goes against a bearing that is very small.

It's too bad that Ducati designed the rear wheels so that the spacer could be inserted backwards.  I can still remember back in 1998 when I had purchases a larger rear sprocket for my 1997 M900.  I had been warned by the dealer about which way the spacer went, but managed to put in backwards anyway.  I could freely spin the rear wheel until I tightened up the axle bolts, then everything got tight.  I loosened and tightened them several times, but the wheel didn't want to turn when the bolts were properly tightened.

I finally took it back apart, then I remembered what the dealer had mentioned.  Swapped around the correct way had the wheel turning freely with everything properly tightened up.  Once I had experienced the problem, I never tried to put the spacer in backwards again.  I'm sure I've installed Ducati rear wheels at least twenty times.

So, the answer for all Ducatis with two-sided swingarms is to put the flat side against the swingarm and to be sure you check for smooth rotation as you tighten up the axle bolts.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: