Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 09:59:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange left case noise (Found)  (Read 2591 times)
Twizted

« on: December 30, 2011, 09:10:02 PM »

2003 Ducati Monster 1000ie - 38,000 kms (approx 24k miles)

Hey was hoping someone could shed some light on the noise I am experiencing at the moment. I used the search function and came up with little. It only started happening recently. The noise can be described as an intermittent grinding noise in the left case that only happens when the temperature of the bike gets to about 100*c (212f) and can only be heard when the bike is idling at a stop. Clutch in or out or in gear/neutral it does not make a difference. It isn't a constant noise and it isn't in time with anything. It almost sounds as if something is loudly scraping on the case every so often. It has me buggered as it does not effect the performance of the bike at all. Also I do not hear it when the bike is moving or at higher revs but it could still be there, I just may not be able to hear it over the pipes.

When it first happened I thought it was just the clutch as it was due for a new one so I replaced but the noise stayed. Being a bit of a mechanical noob if I have to pull the left case off to check it out will I need any special tools? Also I am guessing I will have to drop the oil and replace the gasket. Is this correct?  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 07:15:23 AM by Twizted » Logged
Raux
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:34:07 PM »

you can search on tech or tutorials, but I think i've read where a nut comes loose sometimes inside that area.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »

You will probably need to remove the side cover to do the diagnosis.  The sooner the better.  It can be as minor as the alternator bearing.  If it is the nut Raux is talking about, the flywheel nut, and you get to it in time, not too bad.  If not, serious damage can occur.  A puller for the case is helpful, but not needed.  A cheap steering wheel puller will work.  No gasket on that cover from the factory, sealer is used.  California Cycleworks (to the left, under "Sonsors") sells a gasket, but you will need to shim the ignition pick up to compensate.   It is not a difficult job.  A manual will help.  A shop should not charge a lot to remove the cover to inspect if you want to go that route.

Twizted

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 09:57:14 PM »

Thanks I am hoping it is something simple as I love this bike. Found a thread on pulling the case. http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=1719.0
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:41:27 PM by Twizted » Logged
Twizted

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 03:17:29 AM »

Just posting this as a follow up for anyone else searching for strange noises. I ended up sending the bike to my mechanic and apparently it was the belt tensioner bearings. Strange huh since the noise was coming from the left case. They replaced them all and said the noise was gone. I will go for a ride tomorrow and see if all is good.
Twizted

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:14:42 AM »

Well the noise is gone. Belt tensioners it was  waytogo
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »

Well the noise is gone. Belt tensioners it was  waytogo
Oh...the other left Grin

Glad you found it before it became a problem.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: