Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:38:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That "Target Fixation" business is no joke!!  (Read 7125 times)
johnster

« on: June 23, 2008, 05:00:05 AM »

So I thought I had the target fixation issue licked. Always looking through the turns + as far ahead as possible..

The Situation:   Well I had a scary encounter with a guardrail yesterday that really put me in check. I was making a left-hand merge onto a street that intersects the one I was coming off of at about a 45 degree angle, like a fork. There was no traffic around (I was able to look far down to the right and saw no cars coming) and I was doing about 70mph. So I countersteered to take the gradual corner, but immediately realized I had done it too late, thus running wide, and headed for an up close and personal lesson on how guardrails interact with human contact!!  Shocked

What I Did Wrong:   As I realized I was running wide, I focused ALL my attention on the guardrail itself and not hitting it, which brought me MUCH closer to it than I should've been. Probably within 2 inches of it!! It really is amazing how once you start to fixate on an object, all other thoughts go out the window, including steering the bike!!

What I Should've Done   Looked away from the guardrail through the turn (left down the road), and leaned the bike more to get back towards the inside where I needed to be.

-I've seen those YouTube videos of people lowsiding, only to have the guy w/the helmet cam crash into him when he should've had PLENTY of time to avoid it. Fixating on the crash turned it into a 2-rider crash when it should've been a 1-person affair.

-We, as spirited riders, really need to keep this in the back of our minds. I like to think I'm pretty confident in the twistys, but this was a humbling experience for sure!!  Undecided

-Just wanted to share my latest "scare" with you guys, and remind everyone that looking through the turns is VERY important. Looking at that guardrail/hot chick/oncoming car will cause you to fixate + forget about steering the bike, which doesn't do anyone any favors...

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
Grappa

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »

It really is amazing how once you start to fixate on an object, all other thoughts go out the window, including steering the bike!!

I agree completely.  And...  You can apply this lesson to so many aspects of life, philosophically speaking.  Focus on the negatives, focus on what could go wrong, focus on what you don't have and what you are not, and you are really screwing yourself over.  Focus on the positive side of things, focus on your goals, and manifest them.  I first REALLY started to learn this when I learned how to snowboard.  See a tree and you don't want to hit it?  Then don't focus your attention on it.   waytogo

Body will follow mind.  You may now leave the temple, young weed-hopper.   Cool

Ahh... but the servant waits, while the master baits.

Sometimes Aloha means Goodbye.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:40:02 PM »

I agree completely.  And...  You can apply this lesson to so many aspects of life, philosophically speaking.  Focus on the negatives, focus on what could go wrong, focus on what you don't have and what you are not, and you are really screwing yourself over.  Focus on the positive side of things, focus on your goals, and manifest them.  I first REALLY started to learn this when I learned how to snowboard.  See a tree and you don't want to hit it?  Then don't focus your attention on it.   waytogo

Body will follow mind.  You may now leave the temple, young weed-hopper.   Cool
Been riding 15 years now and both of my crashes (not counting 0 mph stuff) were target-fixation.  So, I ride at a lower pace now and when I do step things up a little...  I'm *very* conscious of my tendency to target-fix.

Glad you're OK man!

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »

Glad you managed to save it John. waytogo  I once crashed on my bicycle due to target fixation. bang head

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:31:05 AM »

I don't seem to have the same target fixation issue that so many others mention.  I've had three different riders crash in front of me and had no problem continuing on my preferred line.  In fact, one time the guy riding behind me ran into the crashed bike due to target fixation.

If you got that close to the guard rail, you're lucky you didn't lose traction in the loose stuff that is so often found at the edges of the road.

Five or six years ago I changed my riding style based on what I read in Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough.  I always do all of my braking before the corner starts and take a late apex.  My concentration is always on starting the turn from the outside edge of the lane and getting the throttle on as early as possible in the turn.  THAT one change completely eliminated situations like this of going wide and getting too close to hazards like guard rails.

At one time I thought it made no difference for me as to whether I look through turns or not, since I'm not afflicted with the target fixation problem, but after a great deal of testing both ways, it became obvious that I can make tighter turns when I look as far ahead as possible.

But the biggest difference that has made me a safe rider is learning to set turn entry speed.  All the other problems go away once you get that right.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
johnster

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:34:49 AM »

Glad you managed to save it John. waytogo 

As am I Paula!  waytogo

I first REALLY started to learn this when I learned how to snowboard. 

It's funny you mention this!! I was talking with a co-worker who just started riding, and I was explaining how similar snowboarding + motorcycle riding are. I've been snowboarding for 15 years...  Grin

In turning a snowboard, you want to look as far through the turn as possible + the board will follow, rather than throwing your body weght around. You can almost steer the board with your eyes + head alone!! Target fixation does EXACTLY the same thing on a snowboard that it does on  motorcycle; bad things!!

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
Jetbrett

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:19:45 AM »

I'm new on the board and pretty new to riding.  I'm pretty athletic, I played football in college and arena balland raced cars for years so I tend to work hard to understand and master what I'm doing.    I read all about target fixation, knew it was very bad, and told myself I would never do it.....wrong.  bang head

Coming around a very tight (posted 15 mph) double hairpin, I set up perfect.  I had good speed and was set up for a late apex.  Just after the apex, I noticed a 1' strip of new balcktop running across the road.  It l"ooked" level and flush with the surrounding road surface.  It wasn't.  I hit it just as I was rolling on the throttle, bottomed, and was thrown straight up and way off my line.  I then got a very good look at the ditch on the outside of the turn.  I noticed that I was about 1-2" from the fog line and could have easily counter steered and made the turn.  At the time I thought about looking back left and counter steering hard, but pulling my eyes away was like tearing velcro.  I froze and rode right in looking down and to my right (it was a left turn) and did my best superman impression over the handlebars.   Fortunately, I was fine...just really muddy.  The only damage to the bike was a set of bent handle bars from pulling it out of the ditch.    Embarrassed

M695 Dark
johnster

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »

I'm new on the board and pretty new to riding.  I'm pretty athletic, I played football in college and arena balland raced cars for years so I tend to work hard to understand and master what I'm doing.    I read all about target fixation, knew it was very bad, and told myself I would never do it.....wrong.  bang head

Glad you're OK and Welcome to the board!!  waytogo  What kind of bike ya ridin' anyway??

Yeah man, it's scary. You almost don't even realize that you're doing it until it's too late.  Shocked

somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »

My bicycle crash involved me in Ireland, trying to do a U-turn in the reverse direction to which I was used to on a very narrow lane.

I started to turn, saw the berm on the side, thought to myself, "I'm not going to make it around, I'm gonna crash into the berm."  Sure enough I did. Roll Eyes 

Didn't help that I had forgotten to pull my feet out of the straps first.

I was later able to prove to myself that I could make such a narrow U-turn by looking through the turn.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
johnster

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »

I started to turn, saw the berm on the side, thought to myself, "I'm not going to make it around, I'm gonna crash into the berm."  Sure enough I did. Roll Eyes 

It's funny, in my helmet I was saying "too wide too wide TOO WIIIDE!!" as I fixated on and just about brushed the guardrail!!

-I'm constantly talking to myself while riding spiritedly. I really find it helps me ride better, if I'm reminding myself "Look Through, Look Through" or "Weight off the bars, hug the tank", etc etc...

-Not in this case though!!  Undecided

Jetbrett

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 01:19:21 PM »

I think it is a matter of experience.  The guy I was riding with has been racing since he was a kid....I really wasn't trying to keep up with him.....and he made it through just fine. 

BTW, thanks for the welcome.   Wink I bought an 08 m695 in April.  I know everyone says to get a bike that you wouldn't mind crashing for a first bike, but I've drooled over the monster since it came out in the 90's.  Despite my mishap, it really has been an easy bike to learn on.    Now if I can just decrease the time I spend going "oh $hit" in an emergency and increase my reaction time, things will be much cooler.  Cool

M695 Dark
dropstharockalot
Sex-Toy Bludgeonin'

The Teabaggin' Dragon

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 08:50:03 AM »

I had a little bout of "TF" yesterday on my ride home.  It was a turn I've taken plenty of times on a road I've taken frequently, and I got in over my head due to a touch too much speed.

Problems:
Riding too fast for road
Assumed familiarty with the road
Poor line

Reaction:
Fixated on rapidly-approaching gravel shoulder
Stood up bike and braked with front caliper

Better reaction:
Continue to look through turn
Roll off throttle to slow bike and tighten line

Result:
Rode off through soft gravel shoulder, into grass run-off area.
No damage to anything but my pride.

I was lucky that there were no obstructions in the gravel shoulder or run-off area past the shoulder.  Had I been dealing with a fence, tree line, drop-off, or wall I could have been in big trouble.

The entire incident could have been avoided had I not assumed that I knew the road well enough to push my speeds.  Taking the bike off the pavement could have been avoided had I reacted correctly when the "Oh, Schnap!" realization kicked in - instead of looking right at where I didn't want to go.  This event showed me that I still have work to do on cornering, and that I need to keep my speeds on par with my ability to react to problems.

'96 M900
Stage One - K&N Pods- DynaCoils - Remus Ti Hi-mount pipes (dented) -Thrashed paint - dented tank - Oberon bar-ends
misti

Leap and the net will appear!

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »

Target fixation is a real dangerous problem and one that most of us have had some experience with.  I'm usually pretty good with NOT Target fixing but occasionally I do fall into the trap.  Usually it is when I'm going too fast.  So what are some of the ways you can gain control over the problem of target fixing?  What can you do to prevent yourself from doing it in the first place?

Misti

x136

NIXON'S BACK!

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »

Heh, I gave myself a great demonstration of the dangers of target fixation recently. I turned to look at something off the side of the road (it wasn't even a pretty girl!), and when I looked back, I found myself pointing not through the turn, but... straight at a ditch.  Shocked Thankfully, through smooth and skillful application of what I call "flailing into a lean", I was able to save myself just in time. Roll Eyes

ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 04:56:14 AM »

Found this on another board
"Classic example of target fixation and panic".

I think more like classic example of extremely stupid young people possibly deserving of a Darwin Award.  Roll Eyes

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: