Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 03:24:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scary...  (Read 9804 times)
CannedIce

« on: May 02, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »

Hi Ladies,

Ever had a car stop at a yield for you to pass only they decide to punch it at the last second? If it had been one second later I would have crashed right into them and I have to say it shook me up a bit.

I pride myself on staying out of the way of cars, but in this situation there really isn't anything that could have qued the sudden change in the driver's decision. They were going straight into a business park and I was to cross their path without a yield sign for me. Anyone been in a similar situation or have advice to how to be mentally watching for this?

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
kp

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:13:43 AM »

that is scary.   I always remind myself that I'm basically invisible when
I'm on the bike.
CannedIce

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:23:03 AM »

I'm on the bike.

Kp I totally agree that it is our responsibility as the rider to make sure the cars see us, but in this case I was clearly in their view and when they decided to cut me off I was so close to them I could stick my foot out and be making contact with their bumper. I think in this case the person must have been in a hurry and I was slowing down to make the curve of the road that wrapped around their car. In other words the turn would be sharp and right after passing them so i think they were impatient and noticed I was slowing so decided they could make it. So not cool!

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
kp

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:50:02 AM »

I totally agree, that was very uncool of the driver.

It's supposed to be a shared responsibility I think, unfortunately, most
cars don't think that way. For whatever reason, and it seems more treacherous
on the road for bikes every year!

And ya still can't fix stupid!

I'm glad that you're okay, albeit shaken.
CannedIce

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:53:06 AM »

Thanks kp!

I just got done chatting up my boss and mentor Chris Kelley from Cycleworks and he said the driver likely thought I was going to stop for them and that I had a stop sign because they noticed I was slowing down. That makes sense now that I think of it.

He says to help avoid this next time, to put my left turn signal on so they know my intention is to curve around them and then once I am ok with the path in the turn look at the driver's face. This will allow me to see their intention before it happens. He says he has full on stared at people before and even pointed at them while making the turn so they know to pay attention. He says I would benefit from a track day to get more confidence in the sharp turn and to learn to go more wide so it is more obvious that I will be making the curve.

Just wanted to share this amazing wisdom with all of you! I feel better now that I have a plan of action for this turn I make daily!

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
DucMouse the Mighty
At least the smartess part of my body is my

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:28:40 AM »

I'm on the bike.

and that is why I wear a bright green tutu when I ride. People stop and stare  Evil

Thanks kp!

I just got done chatting up my boss and mentor Chris Kelley from Cycleworks and he said the driver likely thought I was going to stop for them and that I had a stop sign because they noticed I was slowing down. That makes sense now that I think of it.

He says to help avoid this next time, to put my left turn signal on so they know my intention is to curve around them and then once I am ok with the path in the turn look at the driver's face. This will allow me to see their intention before it happens. He says he has full on stared at people before and even pointed at them while making the turn so they know to pay attention. He says I would benefit from a track day to get more confidence in the sharp turn and to learn to go more wide so it is more obvious that I will be making the curve.

Just wanted to share this amazing wisdom with all of you! I feel better now that I have a plan of action for this turn I make daily!

Thanks for sharing and glad you are ok!

I think the main problem with that situation (or any for that matter) is that some people really can't tell the distance of where you are and how fast your going. So they tend to not make the best choices. But you mentor brought up a great Idea of pointing...
I can say that from my person experience..that you just have to ride defensively. I do all the time, people around these parts have a bad habit of making left hand turns in front of you. ( i have already been an accident due to this) and I have had some close calls. But just practice and practice and you will learn to hand those situation  waytogo

spankin™

Copy. Calibration error = humidity, altitude, attitude to tutu, distraction from tutu, stereotype naked rat bikes, human error due to heat, tutu and jealousy!
duqette

Does this bike make my butt look fast?

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »

Don't discount that the driver may have simply not seen you. People see what they expect to see; if a driver isn't expecting to see a motorcycle, and if that driver is even a tiny bit distracted (maybe the phone is ringing, or the radio is on their favorite song), that driver will not see the motorcycle right in front of them.

I ride as though I'm invisible, and in situations where I need a car to yield to me, I make sure the driver does see me, by waving or pointing, or even beeping my horn.

It's not fair, but the stupid ones are armed with cars ....

"Youth is wasted on the young." --GB Shaw
kp

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »

I ride as though I'm invisible, and in situations where I need a car to yield to me, I make sure the driver does see me, by waving or pointing, or even beeping my horn.

exactly!   
CannedIce

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »

Lol I love that!

Thank you for all of the support and great suggestions! Today I took the same path and there was no car, but I practiced taking the turn wide and turning on my signal. I like the idea of waving at them, pointing and making noise to be sure they can see me. You are right, the driver may have been heavily distracted.

I should wear some seriously crazy neon colors Sister Syntax! That would likely help a ton! Once I saw a girl with bright pink skirt, fish net stockings, pink feather scarf, and knee high boots and all of us in the car were mesmerized!

Glad I ran into this situation though, it is a good reminder that I am not perfect and there is always room to grow and learn!

Love you all!  Dolph

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
lila696

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 04:40:57 PM »

Glad you are okay.
Some good advice posted and a reminder to all.

Dee
DucMouse the Mighty
At least the smartess part of my body is my

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 08:04:56 AM »

Hell Ya! I would, I stick out like a sore thumb Grin and it's helps for them to see me

spankin™

Copy. Calibration error = humidity, altitude, attitude to tutu, distraction from tutu, stereotype naked rat bikes, human error due to heat, tutu and jealousy!
Bonwilder

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 09:45:15 AM »

Hell Ya! I would, I stick out like a sore thumb Grin and it's helps for them to see me

That's awesome!

Maybe that would have worked last night for my hubby! We were riding home from ducati dinner on the monster and sport classic....almost home when a kid driving a convertable miata (or some small car meant for a girl) weaved around the gas station and slowed briefly before pulling out right into the side of my hubby.  I saw it coming.  Fortunately my hubby saw it too however still locked up the front end and the back slid out.  He managed to stay rubber on road and weaved into the other lane but it was pretty scary! I have learned from mucho group riding to stay far enough behind to react but close enough to be safe so I was unaffected. However I have found that in groups of two often times the driver observes the first moto and then pulls out...assuming there is only one....so watch out!  In any case the driver looked to be a kid and I hope this very close call was a lesson for him! He was very aware of his mistake (thanks to open helmet and convertable top- not so friendly- banter).  A less experienced rider would have been implanted in the side of his car. boo

05 S4r, 06 Sport Classic, 06 Back in Black Sport Classic, 06 Paul Smart, 08 848 track, 05 749r track, 12 1199 tricolore
Duchess

The Duke and Duchess of Esforar

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 08:33:14 PM »

Oh Yeah !   Getting me a Tutu as soon as the stores open !

04 S4R; 02 911 C4; '10 Jetta TDI
S&W M&P 45c; S&W M&P 9c; Kahr CM9; Beretta Tomcat 32
CannedIce

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »

I love the tutu! I recently got myself a hot pink scarf that seems to help Smiley

@bonwilder glad your hubby came out of that situation ok! Good work on his part and yours being attentive.

Dolph

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
Chelle

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »

Wow I wouldn't have thought of adding a splash of color via Tutu or Bright colored Scarf - I love it!  Some color outside of nature.

So enthused to have joined this forum I'm already learning so much!! bow down
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: