Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 02:19:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone heard of or had this happen to them?  (Read 3490 times)
muscle_cars_only

« on: June 26, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »

I put about 400 miles on my bike last weekend. Last night while pulling into the garage I smelled rubber burning. Didn't get into looking at it due to company was @ the house. Today I get on the bike to go to work, it cranks then stops. I figured it was the starter so I jumped on the speed triple and went to work. Got home and decided to check out the starter. While looking @ the bolts I noticed this metal "half moon" thing in between the engine and timing cover. HMMMMM.......  took the covers off and found that on the Vertical, the lock nut that holds the cam pulley had came off along with the washer and  pulley , chewed the belt and trashed the valve. Engine is locked up and the bike is going to the dealer tomorrow for warranty work.

I find it hard to believe @ 1,600 miles something like this could happen. The dealer says it's a frequent thing!!!!! What the hell?Huh?? Is this one of those things I'm going to have to put on the pre ride check list? I was wondering if any people here have had this issue?

Rant over..................

Dave
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:21:22 PM by muscle_cars_only » Logged

02 Speed Triple   Black   16k
04 CBR600 F4i  Red/Black    8k
06 m620  Red
teddy037.2
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 01:05:18 PM »

whoa, what? that's screwed up if they're claiming it's a frequent thing...

of course, I've never put 400 miles in one day on my monster, but this is the first time I've heard of something like that happening...
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:19:27 PM »

cam nuts falling off is not normal. sounds like the bike did not get a very good PDI (pre delivery inspection). ducati does leave things loose but it is just human error.   
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:40:05 PM »

+1, not normal.

I've never seen it, and don't recall hearing of it here or on TOB.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:17:37 PM »

+2 in regard to not normal

jerryz

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:07:23 AM »

its happened very rarely ..its not normal at all, I have put 1000 miles on a monster in 1 day with no ill effects.
seems the bike had a maufacturing fault.
muscle_cars_only

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 04:53:39 PM »

Dropped it off @ the dealer. They are going to replace both pistons,vertical and horizontal valves and guides. Horizontal head if needed, along with complete checkup. The funny part is they offered all this, I didn't have to ask ( which I was planning on) . Are most dealers this easy or did I run across a rare one? If they do me right I guess I'll be seeing them next summer when I buy my next Duc.

06 m620  Red
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »

Dropped it off @ the dealer. They are going to replace...   

They are handling then as a Warranty Issue? 

muscle_cars_only

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 06:27:14 PM »

Yes it's under warranty.

06 m620  Red
teddy037.2
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 06:37:10 PM »

Yes it's under warranty.

waytogo awesome.

my only warranty claim was for bubbly paint on my tank... 4 months into ownership... still waiting for my call back  Wink
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »

Dropped it off @ the dealer. They are going to replace both pistons,vertical and horizontal valves and guides. Horizontal head if needed, along with complete checkup. The funny part is they offered all this, I didn't have to ask ( which I was planning on) . Are most dealers this easy or did I run across a rare one? If they do me right I guess I'll be seeing them next summer when I buy my next Duc.

While thats exactly what we ought to be able to _expect_, it's in my experience astoundingly good service from a dealer. Most reports of serious engine problems while under warranty come with stories of reluctance and blamestorming on the part of both the dealer and the importer.

Post up the dealers name - I'd be happy to recommend them based just on this story...

big

muscle_cars_only

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 09:56:37 PM »

I contacted the dealership it originally came from and they told me the same thing. "bring it in we'll take care of it" He actually filed the paperwork then said he'd have no problem doing it, He'd recommend that I find a closer dealer unless I didn't mind the drive.

First Dealer  BMW/Ducati of Charlotte

Dealer doing the work:
Barnett's Suzuki/Ducati of Raleigh ( Barnett's was just as helpful)

If all the work is done correctly , Barnett's will be getting my business next summer when I purchase a new Duc.

06 m620  Red
VeryMetal

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 01:07:39 AM »

Sounds like this thread's pretty much come to a close but just wanted to say +3 on not normal and also I completely agree that it was probably human/ mechanical assembly error. I don't know if the PDI includes an inspection of these parts but if it does it's understandable that it could happen.

I'd prefer to believe it happened at the dealer rather than at manufacturing stage  Huh?

2002 Ducati Monster 750ie Dark
2005 Monster S2R Dark
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »

With 1600 miles on the bike the dealer could only be faulted for not catching the loose nut at the 600 mile service. Cam nuts do not often fall off so There is a good chance most would have missed the loose nut as well.

This one is all on ducati.

+1 for the dealer stepping up to the plate, See if they can sweeten the deal for your inconvenience. If they are changing pistons how about a free big bore kit? It may even cost the factory less $$ to do that.
Good luck
Reckless_Kelly

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »

I've done business with both of those dealers in the past, and they are VERY helpful, Charlotte actually had a parts guy come in on Sunday as I was passing through so I could get a part that I needed while on the road, even loaned me tools to fix it.

I've recommended either dealer on many occasions to people on TOB.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: