Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 05, 2024, 08:26:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Dry Clutches Becoming Extinct?  (Read 10507 times)
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« on: June 26, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »

Is Ducati making any consumer ready bikes with Dry Clutches anymore?

2005 S2R 800 Analog Motorcycles Custom Build
2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
2005 Monster 620 Dark - Sold
danaid

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »

Streetfighter S, hyper 1100 S, last of the 1198's? Next year who knows if any will have a dry clutch.

Never owning a dry clutch, I always wanted one so I could mod it out, I think it looks really cool and i feel it's the center piece to an already beautiful engine.
 The first time I herd one in person, clanging and jingling, almost louder that the exhaust, I thought to my self it sounds like something is broken, which my friend that was with me said something to that effect. Guess I wouldn't miss that so much.

What will be next on the choping block? Will there be a time when a Ducati will just be the name and some red paint?

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:15:19 PM »

Streetfighter S, hyper 1100 S, last of the 1198's? Next year who knows if any will have a dry clutch.

Never owning a dry clutch, I always wanted one so I could mod it out, I think it looks really cool and i feel it's the center piece to an already beautiful engine.
 The first time I herd one in person, clanging and jingling, almost louder that the exhaust, I thought to my self it sounds like something is broken, which my friend that was with me said something to that effect. Guess I wouldn't miss that so much.

What will be next on the choping block? Will there be a time when a Ducati will just be the name and some red paint?

belts!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »

They can take the belts for all I care and fit gear driven cams, but I like the dry clutch.

2015 Scrambler 800
Dashzero

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 02:05:37 AM »

Plenty of famous Ducatis didn't have a trellis frame or a dry clutch.  It's only relative nostalgia to what you remember as being the identity of Ducati.

When fuel injection and disc brakes started becoming prevalent on Honda autos in the late 1980s die hard moaned and those changes as well.

Progress makes machines obsolete which makes it increasingly apparent of our own mortality.
The Don

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 02:11:49 AM »

That's deep

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something. - Plato
brimo

酒後吐真言

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 02:34:26 AM »

They can take the belts for all I care and fit gear driven cams, but I like the dry clutch.

Maybe some sort of bevel drive, that would be something special.

"The make the beast with two backsin monkey started it..."

From a story by RAT900
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=54722.msg1015917#msg1015917
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 02:40:43 AM »

Maybe some sort of bevel drive, that would be something special.
They were 'special' alright.  Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

mickyvee

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 05:26:04 AM »

waytogo I love gear driven cams! I fitted them to my LeMans and to my FXDX Harley. And of course, MV's had them as standard. I wish Ducati's had them as well!
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 05:34:15 AM »

waytogo I love gear driven cams! I fitted them to my LeMans and to my FXDX Harley. And of course, MV's had them as standard. I wish Ducati's had them as well!

they do on the Desmosedici and the 1199

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 05:39:28 AM »

Ducati didn't invent the 90 degree twin, the desmo valve, the dry clutch or the trellis frame.

If anything, it has been a 50/50 proposition for them to market those things as "religion".. because it has stifled creativity and development.

Guzzi had dry clutches before Ducati did.  Benz had desmo valves on some of their earliest cars. 

Let them innovate.  I'd love to see what they could do with a parallel twin, or even a triple.  They made a triple in the 1950s (it was a diesel water pump). 

They made their bread and butter off springhead singles for nearly 30 years.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 06:14:37 AM »

I ride with a few guys who have older Ducatis and a couple of them have open clutches.  I've heard a couple people tell these guys that there is something wrong with their bikes at some point or another.  I like the looks and the sound, I get that, but at the same time I have to say I'm completely satisfied with the wet clutch on my bike.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 06:27:52 AM »

If you're not racing and dont need access to the clutch without draining... from a practical perspective I believe the wet clutch is the better option. If you're riding a Ducati though... aside from wanting a quality motorbike you obviously also appreciate the attention a Ducati gets which a dry clutch would increase. They look cool, they confuse people and people who know bikes are fascinated by them. Therein lies the appeal.

2005 S2R 800 Analog Motorcycles Custom Build
2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
2005 Monster 620 Dark - Sold
jaxduc
Have you seen my

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 06:36:30 AM »

so.... What makes a Ducati a Ducati?  Huh?

Aren't you the Panigale hater?
abby normal

jesus is coming ... look busy!

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »

so.... What makes a Ducati a Ducati?  Huh?

Let's see ... No sealant on the left engine cover, radiator hose blew off, front plug wire
Fell off.  And don't forget the flaking rockers, the fly molded into the gas tank or the infamous
'flip the switch when the broken tail light bulb kills the entire electrical system'. 

Must be the Italian charm.

1990 851 bp
2004 S4R
1997 YZF 1000R
1987 NT650
2010 BMW s1000rr
2013 848 evo corse se
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: