Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 02:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bar ends  (Read 3113 times)
1KDS

« on: July 02, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »

Don't worry Nate, it's actually a riding technique thread.  Grin
I don't have a ton of experience but I've been riding for about seven years.  All of my bikes to date have had bar ends of some sort that is about equivalent to the girth or the grip, or the Hyper that has the wrap-around protector/mirror/blinker assembly.  I always have my pinky (or just the right side of my hand) on the bar-end or against the Hyper's protector bracket, I seem to use it to steady my hand.  I only recently became aware of this as I was sitting on another person's bike and realized there wasn't really a bar end at all.  Since then I've tried to ride without touching the bar end at all and I find myself extremely jumpy, hit a bump, the throttle gets twisted and the bike lunges.  I'm not riding with locked elbows or anything, nice and loose on the Hyper.  What can I do / what am I doing wrong / will I just get used to it with more practice?

Every bike I've ever owned.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:58:58 AM »

Grin

Lighten your grip.

Try just using the tips of your fingers on the throttle.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Slim1899
I break for "0's"

"Ni neart go cur le cheile"

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:52:07 PM »

Sounds like you are supporting yourself primarily with your upper body.  Try supporting yourself more with your legs so you'll be lighter on the handlebars

2012 Monster 1100 Evo
1KDS

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys, I hadn't had a chance to ride since I posted the thread until today.  I'm not supporting my body weight on the bars, since it's a Hyper I'm upright with my elbows bent, like the guy to the left.

<-----------

I'm trying to loosen my grip a bit, maybe it's all mental and I just need to force myself to do it and get used to it.

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:59:43 AM »

Perhaps grip the bike more with you legs, and weight in the pegs and allow your upper body to be loose and able to respond to the shocks without jarring.

Look of some film of guys riding super moto. You'll see how their hips/legs are with the bike while the upper torso and arms arm relaxed and in a more consistent position. They are going over berms, jumps and pave to dirt transitions all the time.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
1KDS

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:06:19 PM »

Thanks, I'll look at some film.  I haven't had much time to ride lately to work on it, such is the life of an HVAC tech in an unusually hot summer.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: