Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:07:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upholstery shop in Houston  (Read 2585 times)
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« on: July 17, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »

Can you recommend one?

Thanks!

2001 Supersport 900 Yellow!!! (she's just so much fun)
2000 Monster 750 Carb Dark!!! (Sold and still full of regrets)
hiero

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »

There's a guy who does seats from his house down the street from my parents' place.  He's very good, has done work for all kinds and typically does stuff for choppers.  He's fairly expensive though so depending on what you want done, it may or may not be worth it.

Sorry for the really late response, I'm just getting back!

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »

Hey long time....

Yeah I was thinking about getting the seat re-cover because the one I have right now kinda beat up.

But again I'm looking at this 748 from a guy up in Springs...

Here is his craigslist:  What ya think?  He said $3800, worth it?

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3225880118.html

2001 Supersport 900 Yellow!!! (she's just so much fun)
2000 Monster 750 Carb Dark!!! (Sold and still full of regrets)
hiero

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »

If you're not interested in dealing with the desmoquattro, you may not want to even think about this.  23k miles isn't terrible for the year, but for a bike that has damage, you'll need to think clearly.  And why is there an unpainted front fender?  You'll need to ask SEVERAL questions to even consider this bike.

1. Is the coolant overflow tank leaking, has it ever leaked or been replaced?  If it hasn't yet, it will and it would be recommended to upgrade the tank to the ones with better sealed halves along with throwing a lower temp fan switch on to prevent issues later along with the upgraded metal fan, that's about an extra $150 in parts
2. Has the flywheel nut ever been checked or replaced properly or has the clutch rod ever been found broken in two pieces?  The flywheel nut is known to loosen itself and one sign is to see the clutch rod broken. This is a major issue and if it's about to happen, it's a huge mess.
3. Rocker arms.  Has this engine EVER had the rocker arms CHECKED and have any ever been REPLACED.  If they haven't, this is most likely an issue and you'll have to replace anywhere from 1-8 rocker arms.  Megacycle rechroming is $98 per arm, not including the cost to do the work, so this can easily run into $1000 repair that is ESSENTIAL. My 748 had the rocker arms replaced TWICE (only the second time did I put Megacycle arms in)
4. What's the condition of the clutch basket and clutch pack?  The clutch basket at 23k miles should have been replaced at least twice.  If not, I'd say it's probably ready to go along with the clutch pack. Basket plus pack is roughly $500 in parts.
5. At 23k miles, when's the last time the front forks and the rear shock were opened up and serviced? Not to mention the steering damper.  That's about $500-$700 to get all of that redone properly. 
6. And of course, when was the last valve adjustment?  Even if you do the valve adjustment every 4k miles, that means this bike will need a valve adjustment soon.  Add another $800 for that service with new belts and hardware. 
7. Since we're talking about it, when were the sprockets and chain last changed and what's the condition of the brakes.  It looks to me like it's still running the stock rear sprocket.  That is going to have to get changed.  New rear sprocket, plus front, plus chain is roughly $220 in parts only (more if you go with the quick change rear sprocket carrier).  And don't forget the chain sliders are probably gone to shit now so figure in another $50 to replace those. The rotors may still be good, but new pads will cost you about $150 for all 3 pairs (rotors are like $200 a piece, more if you upgrade).

If the guy can answer all those questions with favorable answers, I'd say it wouldn't be a bad purchase.  Just remember the numbers above and realize you'll need to at the very least, replace all the fluids. 

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: