Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 02:13:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2R tank coated  (Read 589 times)
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« on: August 06, 2012, 02:42:25 PM »

Just coated my tank.  A few notes on the job:  This job has the potential of getting very messy and so everything must be well prepared in advance.  I did not sand or put nails in the tank but I am hopeful that the coating adheres and that I wont have flakes of epoxy floating around in the tank down the road.  Also its very difficult if not impossible to see if you have coverage of the entire surface (i.e. even coverage) b/c the epoxy is clear.  For this reason I recommend pouring it in two phases.  So pour half in from the filler hole and role it around for a good couple of minutes then pour the second half from the fuel filter hole and role it around real good for some time.  I did it at a humidity of a tad below 40 with a couple splashes of thinner.  After I got tired of rolling the tank around I put the tank vertical for sometime to let the excess pool around the "bottom" then took a plastic spoon and just scooped out as much of the excess expoxy as I could.  Really wasn't that bad and don't be surprised if you get extreme heat in the area where the epoxy has pooled.  I checked around with my hand for heat b/c I thought that would be a good way to tell if there is a pool of epoxy in an area that it is not wanted in and can't be seen.  Peace out.

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: