Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 20, 2024, 03:27:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Titanium Axles and stuff  (Read 15015 times)
Düb Lüv
ASE master internet mechanic

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »

I'll inquire about some parts when the edger kids settle down and my funds loosen up.

Building, building, building
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »

Hey guys
I suggest everyone pm and email Monsterlover with their orders. You can cc me if you like. This is gettin' exciting!

2015 Scrambler 800
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 07:00:40 AM »

I think i am really late to the show.

really late.   but i want in, i think.

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2012, 07:07:33 AM »

Can somebody let me know where we are at - options / pricing / versions?

I know there are no fewer than four (4) 17mm rear axles:
- Monster Aluminum Swingarm
- Monster Steel Swingarm
- Supersport Aluminum Swingarm
- Supersport Steel Swingarm

There's only one swingarm pivot for that era Monsters.

I'm interested in (hopefully, budget pending) to obtain 3 complete sets of:
17mm Rear Axle (Monster Aluminum Swingarm type) + Swingarm Pivot

To purchase, I require the rear axle to be hollow (gun-drilled) so I can run rear axle sliders - some of the axles for the steel-swingarm monsters were not drilled completely through - my OEM axle for the aluminum swingarms was drilled through, but had a burr in the center that needed to be removed (quick/easy).

Preferences to order: I would like to have the titanium parts TiN or DLC coated (or hard ano'd), if possible.   I would like the rear axle to be titanium or 7068/7075 alu.  I would like the swingarm pivot to be titanium with same external and internal dimensions as the OEM piece (so I can put the plugs back in there - plastic ones or the purty STM billet ones).

I'm definitely "in" for one axle at this time, possibly two, best case scenario three.  same would go for swingarm pivots.

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2012, 07:25:55 AM »

i should note i need no front axles at this time - I've got 916/748, 996, 998, and 1098 forks on my bikes - so 3 "SBK hollow style" and one 848/1098/1198 axles - several are OEM and I have two of the TPO axles. I like the TPO Parts 7068 front axles on the 998 forks and 1098 forks quite a lot.  Ultra light.  Haven't ovaled on me yet (fingers crossed).

I'm just in for the Ti rear axles (at least one, probably two, maybe 3); and Ti swingarm pivots (at least 1-2, probably 3) for 1993-2001 Monster 900's with Aluminum Swingarms (whether you call that an S-model or parts-bin-special - its the slightly longer 17mm rear axle that's been gun-drilled and you can fit RhinoMoto rear axle sliders on it).   It all depends on the price as to whether I definitely do 1 or 2 complete sets, the third set is a bit up in the air as I still have the Febur SSS kit for one of the bikes, but haven't gotten around to getting a replacement adjustable ride-height rod (or to unfreeze mine), or to get proper exhaust for it (either fabbed or ... well, probably fabbed)

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »

Pm Kevin (ML} with any definite orders. It was $155 if he got orders for 6 rear axles in Ti at last check. If you want two, then we have six (not counting my mate who wants a SS/SL rear axle). Kevin is also investigatng the fancy alloy version for cost comparison
and working on a price for the Jurassic front version (only 3 ordered).

2015 Scrambler 800
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »

At this point I think I'm just going to look at doing the rear axles.

I have not had any time to sit and look at the front much, but the thing that stands out right off is I don't have a great way to create the internal hex.  I could buy a broach but that raises part prices and because of the size of the hex it's hard on the machinery  (which I need to last)

I don't see a lot of interest in axle nuts so Im going to skip those (unless that causes outrage laughingdp ) as I don't think I can really be competitive with TPO.  Id need too many orders to get the price down.

I don't have any problem doing variants of the 17mm rear axle as far as length or diameter alterations as long as it can all come out of the same size raw stock (btw, Ti for the nuts was like $8 an inch!)  I would need a part physically here to take dimensions off of.

Re: gun drilling the axles mentioned in J.V.s post, my plan was to drill them here half way from each side the same way ducati did it.  I could send them out for drilling but, again, it raises the cost.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 08:58:14 AM »

if it'll work, that's cool with me - just need to be able to run axle sliders on it (to protect the ol' "investment")

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »

Should work Smiley

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 12:47:19 PM »

I'm happy for the front to have a normal protuding bolt end if that makes it easier. Must be an Aussie thing with that Jurassic axle laughingdp.

2015 Scrambler 800
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »

I suppose I could mill an 15 or 16mm hex on there.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »

Cool. If Monsta is happy with that. My mate Luke wants one also.

2015 Scrambler 800
monsta

Perth, Australia.

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2012, 04:40:53 AM »

yeah, sound ok to me...
maybe you could shove a ball nose cutter into the ends to make it dished, rather than just faced off square?
might make it look a bit less plain...

93 M900 - 07 ST3 - 00 748s trackbike - 78 900SS - 13 848 EVO Corse SE
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 04:54:57 AM »

Could do that or a convex radius

Or machine it to a point Evil

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 04:57:25 AM »

Could do that or a convex radius

Or machine it to a point Evil
Spinners... Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: