Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 19, 2024, 03:20:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a '95 m900 help appreciated  (Read 1478 times)
Waka

« on: September 01, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »

Hi everyone! I've been looking into purchasing a '95 monster 900 and was hoping to get some basic information and opinions about the bike!

The bike is a '95 model with 33 000 km (20 000 miles) on it and the asking price is 3200 euros.

The guy who is selling it to me bought it used from a dealer 5 years ago but has put only around 2000 kilometers on it. The service history preceeding the current owner is unknown but if it's been bought from a dealer i think it's almost safe to assume it has been treated atleast ok before this owner. What do you think? Either way, the guy has put some work and new parts in it during these years and few kilometers:

-new keihin FCR carb
-new high compression cylinder
-new clutch
-adjusted valves
-front fork oils changed
-cam belt changed
-some other minor maintence

So is it worth it? Also how much maintenance am i expecting?

Every input is appreciated! (ps. Sorry if my english isn't perfect, i live in finland Grin)
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:08:03 PM »

is it your first bike?

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Waka

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »

is it your first bike?

It's the first bike that i own, but i have some previous riding experience and i tend to stick with my limits so no crazy driving at first.
bdub

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »

My first bike was/is a 900. They are great, never had a problem, very managable, slow turns and parking lot stuff can be tricky. Mine is fi so no carb help here. I have heard FCR's are on/off, but don't know. Be cautious, you should be fine.

2005 900ie
now with mivv s'

Y2K  M900 ie  totaled  10/09/08
Waka

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 03:51:01 PM »

Thanks for the info! i'm going tomorrow to check the bike out Dolph
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »

With FCRs and hi comp pistons added, you will have a very satisfying bike to ride. Those two modifications really lift the bikes performance and having them included is excellent value. I dont know your local market but those modifications are about $1500 worth of parts and labour. How does the bikes price compare to the market value?

Two other things.
If the belts are more than two years old then change them, irrespective of kms.
With hi comp pistons, the engine studs need to be hi tensile studs, not the brittle stainless studs. If the studs are black, you should be ok, if they are pretty and shiny  then they may break with the high compression. Later model engine studs or APE studs from the forum sponsors will be needed. I found out the hard way. Check to see if they were replaced with the pistons.

I have had two 1995 M900s. They are a great bike.

2015 Scrambler 800
Waka

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 12:47:50 AM »

With FCRs and hi comp pistons added, you will have a very satisfying bike to ride. Those two modifications really lift the bikes performance and having them included is excellent value. I dont know your local market but those modifications are about $1500 worth of parts and labour. How does the bikes price compare to the market value?

Two other things.
If the belts are more than two years old then change them, irrespective of kms.
With hi comp pistons, the engine studs need to be hi tensile studs, not the brittle stainless studs. If the studs are black, you should be ok, if they are pretty and shiny  then they may break with the high compression. Later model engine studs or APE studs from the forum sponsors will be needed. I found out the hard way. Check to see if they were replaced with the pistons.

I have had two 1995 M900s. They are a great bike.

thanks for chiming in! the question that i still need answered is that if the service history of the first 18 000 miles is unknown then do you think that i should be concerned? i'm kinda newb in my motor knowledge, but eager to learn.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 12:57:38 AM »

The bike should be ok as long as it runs well, does not blow smoke and has sufficient compression.

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: