Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 12:06:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Clicking" sound coming from area near belts. Normal?  (Read 1339 times)
iltl32

« on: September 20, 2012, 05:46:09 AM »

It's a 2005 620 with 6K miles on it.  Bought used 2 months ago.

There's a "clicking" sound that comes from the right side of the engine, around where the belts are.  It goes up and down with the RPM.  As far as I can tell, the bike rides normal.

I checked the belts; the tension is good and they aren't damaged.  Oil is good.  Air filter is good.  New spark plugs.  The bike has probably never had a valve check because it's under 7K miles.  Could it be that?  Can't get an appointment for 2 months and I'm looking into doing them myself in the meantime, but nothing done yet.

It could just be the "sound" of the engine, I guess.  This bike is so quiet it's hard to tell.  I'm used to loud ass dirtbikes.  Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their 620.

2005 620 Dark
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:14:43 AM »

how repetitive is it? the actual valves chattering is quite loud on these bikes the valve arm litterally smacks the opening shim, though teh gap is quite small, but as the valves come out of spec, it gets wider. it is however normal. it would be a very repetative high speed clicking noise. youd hear twice as many clicks as the exhaust notes.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »

You need an educated ear to listen to your bike "live".  Could be a valve, air cooled engines have a way of amplifying sound through their fins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: