Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 03:55:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun rides  (Read 10476 times)
kendallb

Monster 620

« on: September 22, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »

Went riding today up the pch then back down all the way to palos verdes..

btw palos verdes along the ocean is a great ride!!

Anyone know of any fun, BUT safe rodes to travel in the los angeles area??
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:52:14 PM »

Depends how technical you wanna get. Lotta great roads down here!!

I like the 2 through the mountains to Newcomb's Ranch or on to Wrightwood.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
Neofusion

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:15:43 AM »

I've hear Topanga Canyon can be fun also. Be careful around PV, the ground shifts and there's a bunch of scary creases around Portuguese Bend!
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »

Topanga Canyon can be fun but it's extremely residential and usually slow (traffic) and it seems like the road is perpetually under construction.

On that side of town you'd be better heading toward Pepperdine U and doing Malibu Canyon -> Piuma -> Schueren Rd -> Stunt -> Mulholland. Some of those roads can be quite technical, Piuma especially.

2001 M750 - Sold
lawbreaker

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »

Bearded duck is right on the above roads.... and include Latigo and Decker !

But remember Fun and Safe don't go together ....

I opt for FUN waytogo
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:06:19 PM »

define 'safe?'

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 12:11:51 AM »

well speaking of "safe"

Ive heard a lot about mulholland, and its imfamous for being risky. For ex.

There are plenty of vids regarding mulholland dr on youtube.

Im a beginner so i'd probably want a bit more practice before I tackle anything beyond my level. Something fun, scenic, cruise worthy, not too aggro.

Malibu is good i hear, and the canyons up there are pretty nice, from what i hear.
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 01:24:11 AM »

There are quite a lot of "crash" videos from that portion of Mulholland but most of them are due to inexperience or pushing too far. I've made that turn in the video a number of times and have come out unscathed and there are quite a few riders in this area that have made that section ritual and have also remained unharmed.

The key is, and you already said it, don't ride beyond your limits. That means both in your ability to handle your bike and you ability to handle the speed at which you're traveling. If you take it easy you should be able to make just about any ride fun.

If you want something more scenic I would try running the CA-2 up to Newcomb's Ranch or even to Wrightwood (before the snow kicks in). With the exception of 2 switch-backs you can do the whole run at about 50-55 mph without ever taking your ass off the seat. Unless faster or slower is more comfortable, then by all means....

If there is ever a time you wanna head that way give me a shout, I'd be more than happy to show the way.

2001 M750 - Sold
Privateer

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »

I've made that turn in the video a number of times and have come out unscathed and there are quite a few riders in this area that have made that section ritual and have also remained unharmed.

agreed.  The first time I rode through it, I'd only been riding like 2 years.. we got to the top, pulled over for a break and I said "that was it?  How do people crash there?"

ACH on a weekday is pretty awesome.  barely any traffic.

There's also highway 33 which is pretty devoid of traffic. 

If you stick to your comfortable speed any road can be safe.

kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »

Yea I hear ya...

I rode on laurel canyon this weekend at night. Wasnt bad at all.

I thought of trying Topanga, Latiga, or Tuna canyons up in malibu, but also thought those might be a little too crowded for my skill level. What are your thoughts on those?

Also looking for a cool ride that has a great view of the city at the top. Know of any??

Still havent tried mulholland yet. As the only time i ride is on the weekends an am afraid i'll be impeding the flow of the other riders if i go on a saturday for example. Im a total noob, i even just rode on the highway for the first time the other day. The 405 to be specific. But, im getting more confident and more aware of my bike.

Im game to go riding anytime Bearded Ducc.

Been looking for other duc owners in the area, and the "clubs" arent very active. If anyone wants to ride, lemme know.
subin

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »

There is a vista point near Palos Verdes Estates. It would be pretty mellow street riding and make sure you follow the speed limits when in Palos Verdes.
Go to maps.google.com and search for "Palos Verdes dr west and paseo del mar, palos verdes estates, california"
You would just come south on PCH and make a right on Palos Verdes Blvd and follow it to the right to Palos Verdes Dr West and the spot would be at the right hand side. On a clear day, you could see Malibu from there. At night, you could see the city lights of Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach. You could also see the airplanes taking off from LAX.
Enjoy!

Privateer

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »

Yea I hear ya...

I rode on laurel canyon this weekend at night. Wasnt bad at all.

I thought of trying Topanga, Latiga, or Tuna canyons up in malibu, but also thought those might be a little too crowded for my skill level. What are your thoughts on those?

Also looking for a cool ride that has a great view of the city at the top. Know of any??

Still havent tried mulholland yet. As the only time i ride is on the weekends an am afraid i'll be impeding the flow of the other riders if i go on a saturday for example. Im a total noob, i even just rode on the highway for the first time the other day. The 405 to be specific. But, im getting more confident and more aware of my bike.

Im game to go riding anytime Bearded Ducc.

Been looking for other duc owners in the area, and the "clubs" arent very active. If anyone wants to ride, lemme know.

if you don't feel like you have the skill don't try it at all.  My understanding is Latigo is pretty tough.  The others aren't difficult but have some sneaky turns if you're not familiar with the road.

Just wait.  Road isn't going anywhere.

Palos Verdes as described above is a pretty good ride.  Angels Gate Park is a pretty cool destination as well.

lawbreaker

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 07:49:27 AM »

Latigo is for sure NOT for Newbies to the twisties...
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »

Last weekend I rode all the way up Pch, and took a couple rodes off and around malibu.

I was gonna go all the way down through palos verdes to san pedro, but the skies were looking rainy.

I think this weekend im gonna head up near the griffith park observatory, i hear there are epic views up there.

Any other must see sites in and around the LA area?
Privateer

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 04:46:44 PM »

Highway 33 and Cerro Noroeste are a good ride.  probably want to go now before it gets too cold (ie snow).  It's out beyond LA, but not too far.

Top of the World in Laguna is pretty nice I'm told.  21601 Treetop Ln Laguna Beach, CA 92651
(http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/top-of-the-world-park-laguna-beach?select=SvFD-u2dLLvtS670EZCanw#UmPnSniPnTqDm-KVftCr-w) but that's pretty far out of LA.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: