Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 26, 2024, 11:18:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11 monster 796 front brake & clutch master cylinder  (Read 2771 times)
chaldoking

« on: October 22, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »

HI, I want to change my master cylinders from coffin type to radial type master cylinders. The safety switch from the coffin cylinders don't work on the radial cylinders. My question is do i really need the safety switch?
Stormtrooper

2011 Monster 796 ABS

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »

No you do not need it.  The one issue is if you stall the bike you will only be able to start the bike in neutral.  Scenario: you stall taking off in an intersection, you may fumble getting the bike back to neutral in a hurry to start it back up as opposed to just squeezing the clutch and starting the bike in gear as normal.   
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »

No you do not need it.  The one issue is if you stall the bike you will only be able to start the bike in neutral.  Scenario: you stall taking off in an intersection, you may fumble getting the bike back to neutral in a hurry to start it back up as opposed to just squeezing the clutch and starting the bike in gear as normal.   
Or....  you could bypass the switch so that its permanently active.  This would allow you to start the bike without having to fiddle around.  Its also means there'd be nothing to prevent you from starting the bike in gear.... along with the resulting embarrassing kangaroo lurch.

The switch is there to try to make the machine a little more idiot proof.... I have had many bikes with no such safety interlock.... you just need to be in the habit of ensuring that you have the thing either in neutral or have the clutch lever pulled in before you hit that button.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:47:18 PM »

The Brembo masters made for / sold by Ducati aren't much more expensive than generic Brembo masters - and they come with switches for clutch and brake light + clamps with mirror holes.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
chaldoking

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:55:54 AM »

Thanks FOR YOUR HELP GUYS BUT I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION. IS THE CLUTCH SAFETY SWITCH THE SAME AS THE BRAKE SAFETY SWITCH? I FOUND TWO CLUTCH SAFETY SWITCH ON EBAY BUT NO BRAKE SAFETY SWITCH. WILL IT WORK ON THE BRAKE?
Raux
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 07:09:38 AM »

No

terrapete
Monster 944 Hyper 796

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 10:25:50 AM »

I did that upgrade to my Hyper 796 and love it! 

I have the brake switch but not the clutch switch either and just shorted the wires together to bypass it.  HH pads are a must.  It stops like it should now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: