Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 28, 2024, 03:13:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrade Forks on S4  (Read 1579 times)
TitanMonsterS4R

Yup, it's supposed to sound like that....

« on: November 11, 2012, 04:37:05 AM »

So working on upgrading the forks on the S4.  Already going with a 53/53 speedymoto complete triple.  Just need to know what forks will work with current rotors/brake calipers/wheels.

Thanks for the help community. 

06 Monster S4R - Red/Black Final Edition
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »

Any SBK of the same generation should work, as well as everything up to the advent of radial brakes.

Maybe 998?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

jerryz

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 07:13:31 AM »

first throw the standard forks away they will never work , then buy superbike forks but make sure they have softest springs you can get then a revalve kit , it will make the bike handle 100%  better but comfort may be an issue as i said springs are critical. you may need fork shims

if all that does not work contemplate buying a new bike ,if i can sell my S4 I will buy something else .
TitanMonsterS4R

Yup, it's supposed to sound like that....

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:03:33 AM »

first throw the standard forks away they will never work , then buy superbike forks but make sure they have softest springs you can get then a revalve kit , it will make the bike handle 100%  better but comfort may be an issue as i said springs are critical. you may need fork shims

if all that does not work contemplate buying a new bike ,if i can sell my S4 I will buy something else .

Understand from everything I have read, stock forks are junk.  Not that bad for me being I am slightly over 170lbs with gear on.  Can't sell it, just bought it bang head

Seems like a fun bike to ride with tweaks Smiley.  THat's the fun part. 

Any SBK of the same generation should work, as well as everything up to the advent of radial brakes.

Maybe 998?

COP TZR has some 998's I hope will work..... Paging COP TZR

06 Monster S4R - Red/Black Final Edition
Raux
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:19:32 AM »

if the S4 has the 25mm axle even new gen sbk will work, just need spacers on the rotors?
MonsterHPD

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »

Well, just as an alternative, upgrading with the K-Tech shimstack kit and rework as per Showa Blues, they will work just as well as any Duc SBK (Showa) forks, and everything else fits ...  Wink   

Admittedly, does not look very trick, but if that is not the important issue, it IS an alternative.

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »

Stock S4 forks aren't junk, they're the best forks on Monsters as delivered from the factory.

The OEM compression valve isn't very good, have your local suspension guy fix that.
The OEM 0.85 springs will be good for you.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
jerryz

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 12:03:30 AM »

Stock S4 forks aren't junk, they're the best forks on Monsters as delivered from the factory.

The OEM compression valve isn't very good, have your local suspension guy fix that.
The OEM 0.85 springs will be good for you.

they are junk they have no Proper rebound circuit the neddle at the top does sweet FA ,, only a rebound circuit that goes to the cartridge works properly

and yes do not use springs harder than 8.5 nm
MonsterHPD

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »

Well, I hate to risk appearing to go on about this, but basically the Showa 50 mm / 54 mm forks as fitted to Monsters, SSie´s, ST´s, S4´s etc. aren´n junk. They are probably exactly what Ducati ordered: Cheaper than SBK forks, "adjustable" so you can charge a bit more, and foolproof as you can´t really adjust much, at least not on the compression damping (*).

As far as I have been able to determine, fork tubes, bushings etc. are no worse, the cartridge is of simpler general execution and not intended to be dismantled, cartridge rod steel instead of alumium. The damping layout, however, is crap (see above*).

If you get a proper shimstack kit, and rework the rebound damping circuit as per the Showa Blues tutorial, you get a fork that works just as good as any SBK fork, and probably a bit better due to the K-Tech, or whatever kit you prefer using, beeing superior to stock SBK valving.
If you use the K-tech kit, I can´t see the mod beeing any more complicated than modifying triple clamps to suit other fork leg diameters, and cost is not that bad (for the improvement).

Of course, bling factor is non-existant, which might be a draw-back ...       

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: