Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 01:26:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lithium Ion batteries...  (Read 6199 times)
Heath

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »

I have had my Shorai since April 2011.  It cranks as hard as it did on day one.  It has never been on any sort of charger.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »

I was just wondering about these a while ago, and one question I still have is: If these are so great, why don't manufacurers use them OEM? I mean if you look at all the trouble they go through to make a bike lighter, would'nt a LiFePO4 battery be a no-brainer?

I thought the same thing and figured it's a mixture of cost (Shorais are something like $150+ vs conventional lead acid of ~$80) and not wanting to invest in the minor design/production changes that would be required for current product line.  That said, I think it's only a matter of time before these things are standard in most production bikes because, as you said, the weight loss is pretty amazing (something like 9 lbs vs 2 lbs according to here).

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Mastercraft

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »

I'm sold on the Shorai batteries also.  The weight is just crazy my weighs 1 lb. 14.5 oz.  My stock battery weighed 8 lb. 14.5 oz.  I'm pretty sure most people are using the 8 cell Shorai, that's what my 696 calls for.  I've seen in some other threads people talking about using the 12 cell one when using some extra accessories. 

I've only had mine for a few weeks.  I'll may get one for my dirt bike when I need a new battery.
metroplex

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2022, 06:46:45 AM »

i think you mean lithium iron phosphate battery.  LiFePO4

that said, i dont have one.  i use a regular sealed battery and its gone 4 years with a battery tender during the off-seasons

I can understand the confusion in 2012, but I kept coming across people correcting others on Lithium Iron while doing research on Lithium batteries for motorcycles, so I wanted to point out that LiFP (which is LiFePO4 or Lithium Iron Phosphate) is indeed a Lithium Ion battery. Tesla's are now using LiFP prismatic batteries in their lower end models. The Nickel and Cobalt based batteries are used on the more expensive models with higher range etc...

These aren't the droids you're looking for
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: