Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:56:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cornering and Chicken Strips  (Read 21120 times)
arai_speed
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2008, 10:32:49 AM »

Shocked  Max PSI is the limit before the tire manufacturer denies any implied warranty on their products!
For the S4RS, manual states (approx) 2.1 bar for the front and 2.3 bars for the rear.  That translates (loosely) to 32psi for the front and 33psi for the rear.

I tried running the suggest manufactured pressure on my S4RS and it the bike felt like shit.  It wobbled and bounced all over the place.  I went back to 36 F/R and all the wobbles and pogo stick feeling went away.

Having said that, I'm running Pilot Powers and I weight 215lbs.  So for ME a higher pressure works and feels best.
turbowagon

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2008, 11:35:40 AM »

Before your step 1, you can shift your weight to the inside corner and it will be easier to get your knee down.
Sounds like you can really use a track day but then you might be selling your monster once you are hooked   Wink
EvilSteve
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 06:44:29 PM »

The width of the tire that you're not using is not a sign of how awesome you are (or aren't as the case may be), I'd be more concerned that they were different than how wide they are. If you have somewhere to practice, try to make sure your position is a close as possible on both sides and work on that.
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 09:53:59 PM »

I'm running 30.5 in the front and 29 in the rear on the 675.

Bridgestone BT-002 PRO (Soft in front and medium in rear)
darkduke

'07 S4rs

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2008, 06:37:32 AM »

I'm weighing in at 180lbs and I run 31 front and 32 rear, seems to work well for me. But I also had the suspension set up for my weight. Which also made a huge difference in the cornering.

-ZG Windscreen - Pazzo Levers - CRG Lanesplitters - Arrow Steering Damper - Retro Tank Logos - Tail Chop - Speedymoto Clutch Cover, Springs, Caps, DP Carbon Rear Hugger, DP ECU & Open Airbox with Chopped Titanium Arrows
Brett

I ride "La Diabla"

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »

I am a noob to riding, but I take pride in how well I have learned to corner. My friends keep asking how I do it. You have to do what feels natural and ride within your abilities.

I know how to drive my car on a track and those same principals are used when riding. So apply the principals and stay within your comfort zone and work your way down. No rush.

2001 BMW 330ci - GruppeM, ACS Exhaust, 2006 Ducati S2R 800 - Bone stock for now....
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »

Note in this pic, the rear brake lever is grounding

Knee down on the Monster

Capo de tuti capi
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 04:09:06 PM »

My strips are actually growing - due to a change of rear tire.
I finished the stock Bridgestone Battlax 014 and put on Metzeler Sportec M3, which seems to have a rounder profile. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the flatter 014 would allow better grip up to a certain point, where the M3 will allow even further lean angle at the cost of grip (the kind of grip that makes a noob like me more secure).

Point is that tire profile count as well. My strips were 1/3 and changed to 2/3 without really changing speed or anything else (I think).
Now I'm working on all the other factors to improve my cornering. It seems I now have a tire that requires better skills than the old one did. In return it will make the bike/rider team faster if we're up for it.

What I know is that the strips will not be gone while on public roads.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
arai_speed
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 04:16:23 PM »

Note in this pic, the rear brake lever is grounding

Knee down on the Monster

Holy smokes!!  waytogo  You are jamming on that thing!  applause
Xiphias
'06 S2R800 - Black/Tang (sold); '07 CBR600RR - Red. '09 R1 (Stolen).

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2008, 12:02:45 PM »

Capo - damn impressive waytogo.

Hi-ho-hi-ho....its off to the track I go.................
That Nice Guy Beck!

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2008, 04:53:02 PM »

damn capo
duc996

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 04:45:27 AM »

Man! that looks awesome! wish i can get my form like that! waytogo

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 05:05:17 AM »

Man! that looks awesome! wish i can get my form like that! waytogo
Grow some long spider like legs. Bam done deal.

When I attempted to track my monster, my pipes, and rear sets dragged before I was close to a knee. But even if I can drag knee I normally don't, it's just a gauge for lean angle not something I strive to perform.
CountGreffi

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2008, 08:13:37 AM »

Track day baby...good times. I don't know my S2R is stock right now, anyone think it can handle a track day?. I had a modded R6 few years back, which I brought out a good amount to the track and that was a blast.

cg

Bikes:
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 800, Black
psycledelic

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »

Track day baby...good times. I don't know my S2R is stock right now, anyone think it can handle a track day?. I had a modded R6 few years back, which I brought out a good amount to the track and that was a blast.

cg

Yea, I have been wondering the same thing about my S2R 800.  It has done really well in my last few 400+ mile mountain rides with my friends and their rockets, but I wasn't sure how it would hold up to a day at the track (which would be my first).  I am leaning toward a school that provides bikes and instructions.  That might even be a manditory thing, I haven't really researched it yet. 

06 S2R800 - the wife                         Dolph
04 999s - the mistress
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: