Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to : Keep your Monster clean  (Read 8301 times)
S21FOLGORE

« on: February 04, 2013, 12:12:58 AM »

Keeping the bike always clean is a good thing. While you are at it , you can check loose / missing fasteners, oil / fluid leak, etc.
Everyone has his / her own favorite way to wash / clean the bike, so this is just "my" way of doing it.
( Also, as the title says, this thread is about how to keep the bike clean, NOT how to clean up extremely dirty bike. That requires a little bit different approach. And,I believe you don't let your precious Ducati get that dirty .)

Anyway, here's how it goes ...

*Before you start ...*
If possible, pick up the mild weather day / overcast day without strong wind blast.
Avoid washing the bike in the direct sunlight, in the middle of hot summer day.

First, I put the bike up on the maintenance stand.
Spray on wheel cleaner, and start from cleaning the wheel.

"What ? Isn't that supposed to be the other way 'round ? Washing from top to bottom is the right way to wash the vehicle, right?"

Um,... let me explain why I start from washing wheel. I normally don't hose down water on the bike, at all. Water in spray bottle and plexus (or something similar) for tank, fairing, frame,etc, rubbing alcohol + microfiber towel for wheels, WD40 and cotton rugs for hard parts (exhaust, swing arm, around foot control, etc), that's it. Only every once in a while (maybe once in every 3 - 4 months) I "wash" with hose.
Even then, I don't wash like car washing. And if you don't follow standard "car wash" procedure, you don't have to follow "top to bottom" theory either.

I have white wheels, and I don't like dirty white wheels. Wheels, brake parts, underside of the engine are the places that get dirty and require more energy (and time) to clean up nicely. (top half of the bike is relatively easy.)
That's why I start from the bottom of the bike (do the hardest part while i still have energy ...)

If you use garden hose with shower nozzle, set it to "shower" and avoid pointing it wheel bearing area.
Don't set it to "jet" or something like that, don't use high pressure.

Be careful about wave rotors, you can easily cut your hand with their edge.

I use this one for cleaning lower half of the bike.
Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner (safe on painted surface, carbon fiber and aluminum)

http://gsa.simplegreen.com/gsa_products_extreme.php

spay it on brake caliper ...

... scrub with tooth brush ...

then hose down (with shower setting + low pressure). Check if there's any sign of brake fluid leak.
The head of the horizontal cylinder, oil cooler are, crank case , all cleaned in the same way.
Check oil leak. Anything damaged under side of the engine? Oil cooler line ?
Rotate wheels and check tires, too.

The other side ...

Can you tell what I am doing?

You don't want to leave your bike wet, you want to wipe it dry as soon as you finish rinsing.
If you have a compressor, using air gun and blow wet area is the quickest and most effective way.
I don't have a compressor (well, I do, but it's for air-brushing. Too wimpy for this task), so I used garden sprayer to blow air ... (use towels , too.)

Now, moving to "upper half" of the bike.
First, blowing foreign object off of the surface of the tank, fairing, etc ...

... then, spray fine mist of water ...

... then, apply your favorite cleaner / polisher / wax / whatever ...
(I'm using KLASSE in this photo, but I also use Plexus a lot. And mirror glaze for wind screen .)
Don't use Windex. (Windex contains ammonia)

... getting close to twilight time.  What am I going to eat tonight ?

Change microfiber towel often. Don't be stingy ...

Remove the seat and clean underneath. Check wiring / condition of the connector at the same time.

... keep cleaning...  the sun is going down ...

Good stuff for protecting carbon fiber bits from nasty UV rays.

Lube brake pedal pivot, shift linkage etc. Oh, and side stand pivot, too.

Good stuff.

DONE. Time for coffee ...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:50:28 AM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »

One of my faves for cleaning is Marine Clean
http://www.por15.com/MARINE-CLEAN/productinfo/MCG/
A water based degreaser that cuts crud well and rises off with only water.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:47:55 AM »

Thanks for input.

Some useful info / tips

Degreaser / Detergent

Simple Green (original formula), Purple Power are highly corrosive. What it means is that if you leave them on the surface of your bike  too long, it  will ruin the finish of the parts.
In theory, it *should* be okay so long as it is washed off quickly and completely. There are many people calming that they have been using Simple Green (original formula) for cleaning their bikes for years without problem. And at the same time, there are plenty of people saying "Simple Green ruined my bike !! " ...

SImple Green's own faq page
http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum

One example link talking about this subject
http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/maintenance/issues/cleaners/cleaners.html

Moral of the story ...

1) regardless the type / brand of degreaser you choose, don't let it dry on the surface of the parts.

2) regardless the type / brand of degreaser, rinse off completely.

Pretty simple, isn't it?

In order to follow 1 & 2,

3)use small amount of degreaser

4)Don't try to wash the entire bike at once,wash small section, rinse, then move onto next section.

5)Don't wash the bike in direct sunlight , don't wash when the surface of the parts is hot. Don't try to wash right after you come back from ride.

There are some people saying dishwashing soap or laundry detergent works (and some say those will ruin the clear coat , so don't use ...) , I don't see any point in trying to wash the motorcycle with Tide.
Some people insist to say it's  okay to use regular car oil in motorcycle. I think this is the same kind of mentality. Either they are believing all "motorcycle specified" products out there are marketing hype and trying to refuse to pay any extra money for it, or they just have to make everything in life harder than it has to be.

I personally use this one for lower half of the bike, as I wrote in the last post. 

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:40:23 PM »

WD-40
Water Displacement formula #40

WD-40 *can* be used to clean / degrease. I believe you have enough common sense not to ask me  "So, is it okay to clean the windscreen and fairing with WD-40?" or, "Can I use it for cleaning brake components?"

Probably, one of the most frequently asked question regarding WD-40 usage (motorcycle related) is

"Is it okay to use WD-40 on the chain?"

This question actually can mean a few different things.

1)using WD-40 as chain lube ?

No.
Not because WD-40 may or may not damage o-rings (x-rings) in the drive chain. As I stated at the top, WD-40 is developed as "Water Dislacement", NOT meant to be lubricant. It "can" be used for light lubricating duty such as door hinges or key hole. Motorcycle chain is, however, way beyond their lubricating capability . You spray WD-40 on the chain, solvent part quickly evaporates, leaving thin coat of base oil on the chain link surface.  As soon as you start riding, all the WD-40 on the chain will fly off.  It's that simple.

2)using WD-40  to prevent rust after washing the bike / ride in the rain

Yes.
Some people say WD-40 will damage o-rings. However, keep in mind that rubber gets deteriorated just by being exposed to the air anyway. A little bit of WD-40 will not make any real world difference.
Most probably, you have a can of chain lube, so use it. If you run out the chain lube, and have a can of WD-40 laying around, you can use it.

3)using WD-40 as cleaning solvent

Yes.
Again, some people insist to say WD-40 will damage rubber. I've seen people using anything from kerosine , simple green and purple Power to BIrchwood Casey Gun scrubber. In the end, what kills chain (and sprockets) prematurely is ...

1) not adjusting properly
2) not cleaning regularly

Here's an interesting thread about WD-40 effects on O-ring chain at ADV rider forum.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 03:55:58 AM »

IMO, the potential problem with WD 40 is notthat it harms O rings, but that it can (not will) seep past O rings if the chain is soaked.  Clean? OK.  Bathe? No.

Unless your chain is really grungy Chris Kelley's method works well.
http://www.ducatitech.com/info/chain.html
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 02:38:48 AM »

Quick Detailing , or call it OCD

If you keep your bike (relatively) clean, it is possible to do the quick detailing which can be done around 45 min to 1 hour, without garden hose, bucket full of water , etc.  Also, for those who live in a place where they really can't "wash" the bike, this should give some idea.

Removing bug bodies from the front of the motorcycle

Bugs on the windscreen ...

... bugs on the headlight ...

... on the front forks ...

.... and on the radiator ...

Let's start from the front fairing / windscreen area.

I just spray fine mist of water, then Plexus. (Some people prefer putting wet micro fiber towel on the windscreen for a few minutes. Either way, the idea is to soften the dead bug bodies before removing them from the fairing / windscreen. Don't try to remove dried out, crusty dead bugs. )
Wipe off with micro fiber towel. Turn the towel often, always use clean & dry side.

Head light, front forks and lower triple

Do the same thing

To clean up the radiator, I use the brush that is designed for car wheel cleaning (the one that has long, soft bristle) first. This will remove most of the dead bugs ...

then, spray a little bit of water, and use auto detailing brush ...

Nice and clean !

How about the wheels?

I use microfiber towel and isopropyl alcohol or this one.

Just be careful not to put polisher&cleaner on the brake rotors. (and not to cut your hand with wave rotors.)

Around foot control. Either use the same polisher & cleaner, or WD-40 sprayed on the rag.

Tanks, frames, etc. Water spray +  plexus. You can also use quick detailer. The important thing is, don't try to wipe them dry. Always wet the surface before wiping.

If the bike has been ridden through sandy condition, blow off any sand / foreign object on the surface with compressed air first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: