Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 16, 2024, 01:44:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DMF'r moving to Dallas  (Read 2185 times)
jimmygomk3

« on: March 01, 2013, 02:38:34 PM »

Hello all!

This June/July my fiancee and I will be moving to Dallas as she will be starting a new position at the Dallas VA.  I am looking forward to meeting members and learning new roads.

I have been riding the same duc (01' 750) for the last 8 years.  I love her as we have been through a lot. 

The fiancee picked up a 03' 620 after she got sick of riding on the back of mine.

I would also appreciate advice/suggestions of good areas to look for rentals with a garage preferably close to 45 or 35E for ease of highway access. Again very much looking forward to meeting everyone and any thoughts/suggestions would be helpful!

Cheers,
Jeff
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:04:34 PM by jimmygomk3 » Logged
LYD

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 02:43:08 PM »

Welcome,

We are scattered around the metroplex.  Sorry I cant help with houses, I am on the far north side Ft. Worth.

but again Welcome!

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:00:43 PM »

Welcome!
Mhanis

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »

Howdy and welcome!

Where from?

I am North of Dallas so no help there either, sorry.

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
RichD

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »

Welcome to the area!

There is LOTS to do here (not sure where you're coming from geographically).
That's a good lookin scooter!   waytogo

I'm down in South Arlington, so no help with housing either...
but if you need tech advice or welding done on something I'd be happy to help out. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:18:18 PM by RichD » Logged

DFW-MFer!
jimmygomk3

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Mark- we are coming from Chicago.  Have lived downtown (greektown) for the last 5 years. Previous to that we were in Iowa for college but both grew up in the suburbs of Chicago.

We are looking for a one bedroom in a good town/neighborhood within a 30-40 minute drive of the VA.  We had friends recommend looking in North Dallas/Richardson/Addison but I would love to also have access to the DART system.

RichD - thanks for offering your services. As we are downsizing I am leaving a good amount of my tools with family in Chicago so I may be asking for help!  If you are in need of website or social media development I can help you out!
muskrat

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »

We can help with locating housing.  You'll enjoy year round riding too.  Pm me your info and I can point you in a few directions m

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »

Howdy, and welcome.  We're out near Denton... some would say Oklahoma so I'm afraid I've got nothin' in the way of good housing leads for you.

But as spread out as "the group" is, we all manage a big group ride every now and then so I'm looking forward to meeting you both sometime soon.

Lisa
RichD

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:11:39 AM »

Not to be insulting (it's hard for me at times to not be -just my nature  Embarrassed ),
but from what I've heard about Chicago, if you're looking for a good neighborhood,
comparitively, this should be EASY!

I know folks who go up there many times a year, who have good street-smarts
and they say that place is scary bad.

I think you're heading for a lifestyle upgrade.   waytogo 

DFW-MFer!
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:07:12 AM »

^ this... what Rich said. Still, get a Texas concealed carry license ASAP! waytogo

45 and 35 are big ass highways, can you get more specific where you and your girlfriend might be working. The D/FW area is HUGE and yes the traffic sucks. Doesn't it everywhere? bang head Isn't the VA hospital south of the metroplex? Duncanville??? Not sure.

Lastly, everyone I know from Iowa couldn't wait to get to Chi-town but you guys went the other way? laughingdp

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:34:40 AM by fastwin » Logged

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
TresGatos

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »

I've spent some time working all over Chicago and it surprised me to see motos on the Tri-State in traffic.  DFW is big but there is no lake on one side making it all lopsided to get to the country.
Hope there will be some group rides for you to join in on Dolph  I sure had a blast with the good people when I was up there waytogo

Who knows, there should be a E Texas ride near me later this month.  Lots of curvy roads and no slabbing Grin

'65 Honda CM91 - '98 Suzuki DR650 - '08 695+mods - '08 Hypermotard 1100S
greenohawk69

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »

Not surprised to see motos in the Tri-State traffic - I was one of them.   Dolph

Plenty of apartments going up in the Design District and Uptown areas which put you close to 45 and 35.  I'm assuming the VA you mentioned is the Dallas VA on 4500 S Lancaster Road (W of 35, E of 45 N of Loop 12 and S of Illinois Ave).  I'd recommend googling "apartment locators" and seeing if they can give you some ideas on apartments that meet your criteria. 

Sorry to hear you are from Chicago...and Bears still suck.   laughingdp Go Pack!   laughingdp

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
muskrat

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 10:20:16 PM »

I share with him some places but he's going to need a garage with two bikes and possibly two cars.  He seems a nice guy but once he gets here we will convert him into a self-righteous asshole like the rest of us.....most of us anyway.  Evil

they are coming down at the end of the month to shop around so stand-by for dates and times so we can do a dinner and get to know them

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 05:04:02 AM »

...He seems a nice guy but once he gets here we will convert him into a self-righteous asshole like the rest of us.....most of us anyway....  Evil

There are indeed few DFWM'ers who meet both criteria of "self-rightous" AND "asshole," Muscrat being the lone exception.  I, for one, am just an asshole.  Most others simply defy classification  Evil

Looking forward to meeting the new peeps  Grin
CajunR

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 07:51:13 AM »

I prefer to think of myself as a relatively clueless idiot.  That way, people are pleasantly surprised when I actually know something!    waytogo

Welcome to the area, and don't let these assholes fool you.  They are actually decent peeps... when they aren't acting like assholes.   cheeky  chug

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: