Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 08:01:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help!! Newbie getting extremely nervous!! πŸ˜–  (Read 6752 times)
M1ssK

« on: March 20, 2013, 03:34:45 AM »

Hey Ladies,

I'm just starting out, been out and about a handful of times around the block.
I'm finding that I'm getting extremely nervous before getting on the bike, seem ok once I take off but the nerves kick in everytime I need to stop or there's traffic around me. I so don't want to be nervous and trying to get more and more practice in but getting the shakes is not normal right? Any advice is so greatly appreciated. Btw from Sydney Australia riding a monster 620.
Thanks in advance for any replies. Cheers
Spck31
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:08:42 AM »

Should ride only for fun first, with friend you can trust the way they ride and can provide you driving trust by they're tips and tricks.. I mean avoiding stressing situation like heavy traffic, wet conditions. Riding more and more in fun ambiance you will get more self confidence and more trust in your bike and then go the way you want when you want.

I wish this will help,
regard,
K
malamikigo

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »

Have you taken a riding course? 

If not, I can't stress enough - *take a riding course*. 

If you're not comfortable going further than around the block and are getting super nervous before each time you get on the bike, this isn't healthy or safe!  A riding course will help you to get your confidence up and prepare you for the various situations you will encounter when riding.

If you're white-knuckling it around everywhere, this will only lead to poor riding and other bad things. 
M1ssK

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:26:32 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys,
I have completed and passed a course even though I was nervous then too, the instructor said I had great control and knew exactly what to do, it really is a mind over matter situation I think where my head knows the dangers of riding and it's up to me to show it everything is ok. The nerves are when I need to make a stop, I do it safely everytime but hate that I get nervous about it. When riding in a straight line, turns curves etc I'm all good. Definitely will not be going into major traffic before i get to the point where I'm comfortable. Wanna stay safe for sure.
malamikigo

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:59:24 PM »

So stopping the bike is the part that gets you worried while riding?  That is different, I've never heard that before.  What aspect of it worries you?
M1ssK

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 12:31:33 AM »

Not really too sure tbh what it is exactly but probably a combination of things like stopping too quickly, or not quickly enough, really worried about dropping the bike too. it's just a weird thing cause iv grown up on bikes as my dad and uncles all had bikes that I was a passenger on, my hubby also rides and have been a passenger hundreds of time. Just the me being in control is definitely not the same, maybe I just don't trust myself as I'm comparing myself to those with years of experience 😏
Spck31
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:56:53 AM »

Maybe it's just a matter of time, to get use to. In the next few weeks those feelings will be gone.  Smiley
Stella

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 09:26:42 AM »

I've had some close calls when I've had to stop suddenly or in an awkward position/situation (also with my 620 - which I've since sold and haven't replaced - yet).  

Fortunately, the one thing that has always helped me (learned this when I was jumping horses decades ago and carried it with me on mountain and road bikes):  NEVER LOOK DOWN!  

If you look down, that's where you're going.  Has worked with every stop.

So:  breathe, keep looking forward and enjoy the fact that you're in control and that you have the privilege of riding!

waytogo
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:28:54 AM by Stella » Logged

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
M1ssK

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »

Thanks Stella, I will definitely be keeping that in mind. That's a great piece of advice, much appreciated, thank you!!
Chelle

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »

I'm also a new rider.  What is helping me is just putting my foot down mentally - I'm not a guy I don't have anything to prove to anyone.  So right now I still practice in the parking lots at the college near my house - getting the bike dynamics down learning the clutch etc.  If you're feeling nervous around the block maybe have someone you trust get your bike to a nice big parking lot and go there to practice.  This is also nice because for me because the person that rides my bike to the lot also watches my body dynamic and gives me exercises that push me just a tiny bit outside my comfort zone and gives me feedback on how I'm riding.  The beauty of being a gal is even at 15 mph we are still a beautiful lady on a beautiful bike!

I also took the Basic Rider course on a 250, my first bike is my 750 - it's a lot to comprehend and very different from what I utilized in class. 

But I wouldn't change my bike choice at all.  The bike was a moment of finally finding that porridge that was just the right temperature.

Wish I had more great advice but as a new rider I know exactly how you feel.
betarace

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »

Buy or rent "twist of the wrist II" by Keith Code video. Go to a school. Try to ride early am when no cars or pedestrians about to build your confidence.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »

I experienced the same nervousness after passing my rider course and getting my license. It is because of the added distraction of the cars around you. For me I was nervous that I would stall on a hill and cars would get impatient with me. It was mostly that-worrying about what the cars were thinking of my riding. Looking back on it now it was silly, but it stems from my considerate personality Smiley

I used to get so nervous before getting on the bike and during that I would get side pains, but eventually my nerves subsided and I was able to enjoy riding. Here I am 6 years later and I just did my first trip to Palomar Mountain here in San Diego CA with crazy twisty roads and had a blast. Next stop is a track day!

Just keep riding even to the store and back. Also, Total Control by Lee Parks is a good read.

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »

Nerves are normal - though getting the shakes might be a bit much.

Just some thoughts:
- if it's in the budget, perhaps get a 'beater' bike to ride for a while with the plans to sell off. The SV650 comes to mind if available. One that's had a tip over or two and isn't pretty anymore (though should be mechanically sound!). Basically one that if you should happen to drop, you won't care much. Spend some time riding it to get more comfort with the ins-and outs of riding in the real world and go back to the monster.
- Go out early, come back soon. Early on when I got my first 'real' bike I spent the first few rides getting up very early on weekend days when there was very little traffic to go put around for an hour or so and then came home. This allowed me to spend time on the local roads I'd travel most often, with the minimum of congestion and other traffic
- More classes! One of my favorites has been Corner Spin. Perhaps there's something similar in Oz you could attend.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
DucMouse the Mighty
At least the smartess part of my body is my

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »

I know exactly how you feel, I got nerves for the first 2 years whenever I jumped on my moto. After on got on the road it would either go away or stick with me all day. What would help me was riding in town everyday (just to get use and the feel for everything. I would either ride with friends or alone.) Or I would take a few minutes and sit on the moto and do some deep breathing and get out of my head. It's ok to have the nerves when your new rider, it gets better tho it just takes time and practice to build up that confidence waytogo

As for the stopping I would be sketchy about that, what my awesome friends did was soften up the fork springs so it was a little more mushy when stopping and I could control it better. When the springs  were stock and hard and i braked a little hard i didn't have the recoil and it would throw off my balance and I did tip over a few times until i figured that out  laughingdp

Have safe travel Cool  Dolph

spankinβ„’

Copy. Calibration error = humidity, altitude, attitude to tutu, distraction from tutu, stereotype naked rat bikes, human error due to heat, tutu and jealousy!
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »

DucMouse has a good point, you may want to have some basic adjustment done on your suspension for you.  When I had mine first adjusted, it felt like a different bike and gave me much more confidence.  Other than that, riding the same route every day should help a lot.  If you have a relatively easy commute to work then that is a good way to add in riding time.  I find riding by myself helps more than riding with others. 

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: