Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 11:21:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips on riding with a Passenger  (Read 11713 times)
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« on: April 18, 2013, 04:21:14 AM »

So, it only took me over 10k and about a year and a half to work up the courage and confidence in my abilities to finally ride with a chick on the back (she'll be fully protected, no squids on the back of my bike!).

I can't even begin to imagine the extreme difference in the overall balance and characteristics of the bike (especially braking distances) with another person on the seat and thinking about it makes me a little anxious..

I plan on telling her to tap me three times on the chest/shoulder if she wants me to pull over or ride even more conservatively than I already will be, and to lean with my upper body into the turns and to not make any sudden movements back there.

that covers a little, but there's got to be TONS of other stuff to cover.

tips please!!

2011 m696
Raux
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:34:02 AM »

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=49146.0
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:31:32 PM »

Perfect. Thanks.

I can't believe this dude was "comfortable" enough to take a passenger after 600 miles... I wonder how it all went..

2011 m696
polivo

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:57:26 PM »

keep that fatty below 125 pounds, youll be alright.  popcorn
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »

keep that fatty below 125 pounds, youll be alright.  popcorn

I hope you guys know each other...

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 05:58:34 AM »

Obviously a lot of info in that thread...

If she's not a rider as well - I suggest you go on (several) short training rides with her so she can get a feel for the dynamics of the bike. Work in some stopping points so you can discuss what she's feeling back there, and what she's doing to help or hurt the handling.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:03:09 PM »

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=3666.0

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 11:43:55 AM »

Nope we don't, but I don't have any one particular passenger I have in mind so it's all good.

I prefer slim and petite usually, so that makes for a conveniently sized passenger anyways  Wink

2011 m696
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »

Obviously a lot of info in that thread...

If she's not a rider as well - I suggest you go on (several) short training rides with her so she can get a feel for the dynamics of the bike. Work in some stopping points so you can discuss what she's feeling back there, and what she's doing to help or hurt the handling.

That's a good plan. Maybe I'll tool around in a vacant parking lot for a bit before hitting the road.

2011 m696
polivo

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 02:35:14 PM »

I was hoping he could take a joke. This seems like a usually light hearted place.

OK. on with something more productive.
1. my first instructions are how to hold on to me. As were accelerating, decelerating and simply riding.
2. Ill also tell her about turns. Simplest instructions you can give to a passenger "if WE are going left, i simply need you to move your head slightly to the left.. so you can see to the left.. past my helmet. Same for the right."

People are going to suggest  having your passenger lean, etc, etc, etc. The truth is, if a person is not comfortable as a passenger yet.. thats very unlikely to happen, and your just going to scare them more. Also, it'll just likely lead to information overload. Ie: how much should i lean? etc etc.  However, a simple "peek" left to go left.. and simple "peek " right when we go right, accomplishes the same thing with over thinking it.  With time, theyll refine how much to lean for the conditions at hand.
3. last but not least, always try to look ahead.  If i slightly rise off the seat.. the passenger should to.  Potholes are dangers enough riding alone.. but if it catches your passenger totally unaware, she will ietrally be jolted out of her seat.. while clinging on to you!

Those are the big 3 that I go over.  This allows me to not OVERLOAD them with information theyre simply going to forget.  Then, you can stop after a few minutes, and to a check in. How did that feel? Was it to fast for you? Too slow?  Did you see pothole?

Then go out for another ride. Theyll get better with each ride, and then you can add more information to fine tune things.  After a while, they become invisible.
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:56:16 AM »

I have a better solution, crash alone.  I used to ride my girl all over the place (20+ years ago) and after eight years of multiple near misses I decided she would be better off on her own bike if she really wanted to ride.  Since all motorcycles hit the ground I prefer to hit it alone and not take the guilt of injuring my girl to bed with me at night.  When she followed on her own bike I simply stepped the pace down and ran interference to keep her safe.

Damn I have learned a lot of things in 30 years of riding....... 

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 07:57:23 AM »

I have a better better solution. Just not crashing  Grin. Been there, done that (kinda), so I got mine out of the way... right??

I definitely understand preferring to crash alone though. I'll be fine if I hurt myself. I'll heal. But hurting a passenger would make me feel horrible. I don't have a girl, so getting "her" a bike is N/A. There are a couple girls I have in mind that I'd like to take for a ride(...), which was the original reason for the post.

Points taken though.

2011 m696
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:29 AM »

Wiggs, there are those that will crash and quit riding and there are those that will crash again.  Don't ever think you got it "out of the way".  This is especially true if you enjoy riding quickly through twisty roads ( :

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 08:18:03 AM »

Yea, I was definitely joking there.

I'm usually a sarcastic asshole, and most don't pick up on it when I'm conversing with them. I need to be even more aware of that when writing..

And I'm definitely the crash again type waytogo

2011 m696
Rowdy

S4R

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »

My 2c

1. Tell your passenger to hold on to you, bear hug style (this helps control their movements while accelerating and cornering, inc helmet clash), and rest one hand on the tank (for their balance when you're braking).

2. Tell your passenger not to put their feet down when stopped.

3. Ride smooth, very smooth. Extend your braking distances and go slow in the corners. The bike will want to push wide in corners if you're going fast. And remember you can't get the weight off over the inside of the bike when cornering like you normally can when riding solo.

4. Try to be a passenger on an experienced riders bike and you will learn some good tips.

I used to be 230lbs and I've ridden on the back of mates bikes and I've also had mates (not 230lbs but at least 190lbs) ride on the back of my bike 1098 for 1-2hr rides without any issues.

You greatly underestimate the amount of overconfidence I have.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: