Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 03, 2024, 12:19:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati sales down 5% in first quarter 2013  (Read 28615 times)
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« on: May 09, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »

Lots of interesting stuff in this piece:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/ducati-sales-q1-2013/

While Ducati is down by 5%, that's in the context of a market for motorcycles 500cc+ that's down 17%. Also interesting is that Audi is actually releasing hard numbers for sales of each of the models, something Ducati has long been loathe to do.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:03:53 AM »

This is after several quarters of double digit growth for Ducati, so they probably aren't feeling so bad in the grand scheme. And since their drop is less than a third of the overall segment it ain't so bad.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
1stduc

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »

I can say there's no shortage of sales of Ducati especially Monsters at the Coleman in FC, I worked there PT and the Monsters are usually the first to go, we have to get bikes from Ducpond or other mid Atlantic dealers.
Raux
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »

the SF and HM are hurting

I can see the issue of the HM as the 4v version was in production and probably not avail so people didn't want to by the old 2v
come spring with more stock of the 4v and huge price drops on the 2v i can see it going up

but the SF... Ducati may just have to bite the bullet and build the Monster S4R again drop the SF.
either that or build a 1199 based SF to get some blood pumping. and if they did that the Monster S4R could happen...

i know i know they said the Monster is aircooled... but who would have though the HM would go 4v
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »

All Ducati's will be water cooled soon enough.  It is inevitable.

Odd to see the #'s actually broken down though.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »

All Ducati's will be water cooled soon enough.  It is inevitable.

Odd to see the #'s actually broken down though.

I agree that all Ducati's will be water cooled.  The Monster is the only model left at the moment but it is only a matter of time.

I think the sales numbers are very interesting and they confirmed something that I've long suspected, the Streetfighter's days are numbered.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
Travman

‘70 Guzzi, ‘73 Norton, ‘73 V7 Sport, ‘12 V7 Racer

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »

I'm surprised the Streetfighter is their second least selling model.  It is a great streetbike and I'm pretty sure it has had tons of superb reviews.  It is my favorite of the current bikes.  I've ridden all their current models except the 1199. Maybe the 848's niche is just a smaller niche than the others.
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »

I tried to make myself like the street fighter.  I just could not do it...  It was simply to much of everything and not enough of one thing.  If that thing I just said made any sense to you congratulations.  Drink more beer!

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 04:05:59 AM »

Man those numbers illustrate what a win the Multistrada has been. Considering the base Multi is several thousand more than the most expensive monster, the sales numbers on the multi are huge.

No shock the monster represents the biggest unit sales though... has done so since its introduction. That bike has been revenue workhorse for Ducati

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 06:09:09 AM »

I'm surprised the Streetfighter is their second least selling model.  It is a great streetbike and I'm pretty sure it has had tons of superb reviews.  It is my favorite of the current bikes.  I've ridden all their current models except the 1199. Maybe the 848's niche is just a smaller niche than the others.

I am too quite frankly.  It is a great bike and if it had been available when I bought my Monster I would have it instead.  Only the 1098 SF was available when I bought my bike and it was several thousand dollars more expensive and I kept reading about the handling woes that bike suffered from.  The SF848 doesn't have that problem and 130hp would be plenty for me.

Not surprised that the Multistrada sells as well as it does.  It is a fantastic bike, it has plenty of power, very comfortable ride, great suspension (I rode the S model), it just does everything well.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
LowThudd
"Here I come to save the Daaaay" says my

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 06:41:36 AM »

Too bad they dumped the sir cooled Multi though. A less expensive choice could only help sales. Then again, I guess that is what the Hyperstrada is for.

I am not sure I understand why people are saying that all ducs will be liquid cooled soon. Could someone enlighten me?
Raux
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 06:57:29 AM »

emissions
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 07:08:05 AM »

Both exhaust and noise!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 07:23:28 AM »

In regards to water cooled ducs, what would the baby monster(695/696/600) be? Can the testastretta be scaled down even more? Completely new engine? 2V? 4V? (its going to get interesting to say the least.) The whole point of the monster line is get you into ducatis so when next time you're shopping for a bike, you're looking at the more expensive offerings ducati has and they have better profit margin on. ie that whole get em while they're young( worked on me)

Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 07:33:41 AM »

My draw to the Monster was as a canyon carver for grown ups.  The riding position, the air cooled v-twin and the visible trellis frame were all I needed to smile big.  Oh and about 3g's in accessories......

I love the air cooled twins, sound and feel.  I just don't see a water cooled 4v engine as having the same guttural feeling.  Kinda wish it had a dry clutch and open belts but I suspect the wet clutch and covered belts will result in lower maintenance costs.

Some day I will buy a Multi-----  Maybe ten years when I have to sit completely upright.  As for the race models?  I ride on the streets so skipped them.

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: