Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:04:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 749 slipper clutch recommendations  (Read 4015 times)
ducFrank

« on: May 13, 2013, 05:05:21 AM »

Any recommendations for a slipper clutch for my track only 749S?

There seems to be things from $500 all the way up to $1500. Yoyodyne was recommended by a guy at the track last year.

2005 Ducati 749S track only
2009 Ducati 1100S - bent frame
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:32:58 AM »

I personally think that until you are racing...you should not invest in a slipper clutch because there is a lot of feel and learning to be gained using a standard clutch until you at least hit the advanced groups. Save your money!

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
ducFrank

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:18:09 AM »

I personally think that until you are racing...you should not invest in a slipper clutch because there is a lot of feel and learning to be gained using a standard clutch until you at least hit the advanced groups. Save your money!

Good point. I am thinking of the safety side rather than pure performance. I lost my monster to a downshift related mistake (lots of learning lessons there btw) and am lucky i didn't get majorly injured.

Almost all the new sport bikes seem to have it or even more with the electronic aids....

zooom
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 06:55:53 AM »

so...you are looking at the slipper as a preventative measure crutch for poor technique?

not criticizing....just asking and playing devils advocate for a moment...

98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
ducFrank

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:24:02 AM »

so...you are looking at the slipper as a preventative measure crutch for poor technique?

not criticizing....just asking and playing devils advocate for a moment...

I got you... so no, I'd prefer to have good technique and I am definitely someone who prefers knowing the "right way". My accident had less to do with technique than not handling an on track issue well. I honestly don't know where my riding technique/skill really lies. I've mostly been concentration on body positioning, corner lines and my shift points... honestly have not really thought hard about clutch technique. You raise a good point with understanding this. Beyond the basics of slipping (up or down), overlap with braking and general feel - i am not sure what the intermediate/advanced techniques are. I hope to attend the California Superbike School this year... maybe some cornerspin/speed.

Perhaps you'll be around for the TPM 6/8-9 track day and can give me some tips Smiley

With regard to the preventative measure... Yes... poor shift technique and "error" handling for sure. I found short shifting during the very small straight between turn 18 and 19 (Summit Point - Shenandoah) kept me from needing to upshift 75% through turn 19. During this upshift:

1. pulled clutch
2. on moving foot under shift lever it kicked it... didn't feel like much
3. Double clicked up in case it was knocked down a gear
4. let out clutch - decent speeds so I was working quick shifts here = quick clutch release
5. Rear tire lit up... obviously not the proper gear
6. violent head shake... not able to re-grab a fist full of clutch.
7. fun ride bouncing and sliding throught the grass at a good speed

Was told the slipper clutch would have minimized the violence of the unintended downshift.

ducati culture

My freedom is worth my life and my soul..........

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »

I think both of you guys are making a valid point.    Iam all about saving the money but if the slipper can prevent a error when one is off their game that appears to be an investment.  Vino!

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »

You didn't mention head shake at the time - just the mis-shift that lead directly to the high-side.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
zooom
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »

Was told the slipper clutch would have minimized the violence of the unintended downshift.

minimized does not mean prevented...from the sound of it, you were cruising for something to happen based on that recounting of events...just sayin...not trying to be harsh.

short shifting or stack shifting practices are measures for when you get your general shift points honed down to an almost physically reactive non thinking memory along with your turn in points...once that process is down to a cycle where you do it from being able to do it without thinking about it ( like if you were to do it cold or in your sleep depending on the coloquialism you want to pick) then as you apply more speed and increase your lap times you start to implement some of those things. At this point, you want to to be doing the laps with no "coasting" time....you will either be on the gas or on the brakes 100% of the time and that ( IMHO ) is when you should be thinking about or practising those techniques and using a device like a slipper....others may differ from me in opinion, which is fine...we all have a different process, but in the end, the goal is the same....but you need to start by eliminating too many other things and single out a thing or 2 to be working on in every repetition till they are dead cold to muscle memory of sorts.

2010 KTM 990 SM-T
zooom
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »

oh, and sorry to turn this into a techniques or practices threadjack....but this is a new season and a new to you bike is it not?....you need to spend time learning that bike and the going through the process of the basics with it to see if you even need those items...you may find that the 749 is a completely different animal than the M1100 ( which it is ) and you may find yourself a bit distracted by the difference in power and transmission ratio which may in turn change all of your previous points as to where and when you shift or turn in or brake and accelerate.

2010 KTM 990 SM-T
ducFrank

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 03:30:45 AM »

Feedback is definitely something I welcom. So I appreciate it Smiley. I agree on getting to know the bike better before making any changes. I expect to finish out this season with just tire changes and depending... another MRP suspension adjustment. I am not ready to put $1200-1500 into the bike this season beyond basic maintenance and repairs. Heck... prob not for a few years.

I'm still interested in what slippers are good/best... why I would get a $1000 yoyodine or DP with no clutch pack over the $500 brand x. Screw drive vs ball bearing vs other.

Will you be there for TPM on 6/8-9?

Regarding the shift lever kick... new boots... and they are too big... i've since corrected that. Finished last season with the new boots on the 749S. Loved Main!!!!

zooom
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 05:41:40 AM »

I'm still interested in what slippers are good/best... why I would get a $1000 yoyodine or DP with no clutch pack over the $500 brand x. Screw drive vs ball bearing vs other.

I know a few guys who race on stock clutches....I think it is a feel thing in terms of preference...whether it be the clutch/shift feel or how much they feel it in their wallet, I have no idea....

Will you be there for TPM on 6/8-9?

no idear as of this point....

2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: