Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 01:08:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the good rides in Qld?  (Read 815 times)
Sabre Brian

« on: May 22, 2013, 04:18:53 AM »

Don't see a thread for this anywhere, and lately I have been on some really good rides on the monster, and I am running out of places to go.  So here is the deal for the thread.  This is a Qld based thread but it could be done anywhere.  I got the idea from the Greatest Roads app on my phone.  Insert the details of the ride as listed below.  I have made up the items to list.  You guys just fill them in.  Use this template.  I have added a few rides I have been on recently.  Feel free to add your own.  I would love to learn about some other places to ride in SEQ

Ride Location:
Roads:
Time to complete:
Police Factor: (0-10, 10 meaning lots of police):
What makes it good?:
Anything else you want to add:

Ride location:  Brisbane to Samford via Sunshine Coast
Roads:  Went up Bruce Highway, inland past Big Pineapple and up the mountain to Montville, then back through Maleny, Stanmore, Woodford. Mt Mee, Dayboro and back to Samford Village and home.
Time to complete:  Allow around 6 hours including a stop for food and fuel or 2.
Police factor:  (Give a score out of 10 with 10 meaning lots of police attention)  1-2
What makes it good?:  Stop in any of the towns above and find great places to eat.  Excellent roads, twisty and lots of fun in places, breathtaking views and some good lookouts with views of the Glasshouse Mountains etc.
Anything else you want to add:  Good day out if you wanted to throw the missus on the back.  A few towns with arty little country shops and Montville has the famous Clock Shop.

In the last section, add anything you want.  These are my other rides I have done recently.  Some of them obvious.

Ride Location: Brisbane to Kyogle via Lions Road
Roads:  Find your way to Beaudesert, head to Rathdowney and then take the Lions Road over the border, then along the Summerland Way to Kyogle.
Time to Complete:  Allow at least 5-6 hours.
Police Factor:  I didn't see any so 0-2.
What makes it good?:  The views again are breathtaking.  Stop at the lookout at the Border loop.  Well worth a look.  The Lions Road had a bridge out when we went and we had to take a detour along a dirt road, but that was back at the start of the year so should be fixed by now.  Some amazing twisty stuff as well.  Awesome road for a bike all the way down there. 
Anything else you want to add?:  You can come back through Woodenbong or head out to the coast road and come back up the highway.  Also, not far to Murwillumbah or Nimbin if you wanted to have a stop there.

Ride Location:  Mt Glorious
Roads:Brisbane through Ispwich towards Wivenhoe Dam, around through Splityard Creek Dam and over Mt Glorious to Samford.
Time to complete:2-3 hours
Police Factor: (0-10, 10 meaning lots of police): 10
What makes it good?:Awesome twisty roads.  Cafe at the top is great.  There is usually a million bikes up there.  Well known bike haven.
Anything else you want to add:  Road is a death trap to inexperienced riders and lots of accidents happen there.  Ride with extreme caution if you haven't been up there before.  Due to the number of bike crashes up there, it is heavily patrolled by the police.

Ride Location:  Mt Tamborine
Roads:  Head south on Mt Lindsay Hwy to Jimboomba.  Hang a left just before Jimboomba and follow the signs to Mt Tamborine.  3 ways you can go home, through Canungra and Beaudesert, through Oxenford or through Nerang and back along the M1.
Time to complete:2-3 hours
Police Factor: (0-10, 10 meaning lots of police):2-3
What makes it good?:  A good twisty ride on the way up.  Tamborine itself is a lovely spot with awesome scenery and some great places for food and arty type shops.
Anything else you want to add:  There is a spot up there where Hang Gliders take off that is very popular.  There are a few other good tourist attractions like waterfalls and Thunderbird Park

Feel free to add your own.  I would love to learn about some other places to ride in SEQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: