Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 07, 2024, 01:19:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding from the TX, USA border to San Jose, Costa Rica or beyond  (Read 11614 times)
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 01:12:33 PM »

<snip>

Dunno when you plan to go, but it's pretty hot and humid and rainy from now 'til ~November December along your general route.

For example:
http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/costa-rica/

Shows ~23 days with rain every month, and >10 inches of rain a month, now 'til end October.
Not so bad in a car if you're moteling it.
But if you're on a moto and camping, not so good.
I did many a late summer family trip in Mexico as a youngster.
Really sucks when all your gear is wet, and it's so humid that it won't dry out.

Want proof? Ask me . .  Grin

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »

IMHO, backpacks are teh suck on a moto.
They drive me crazy.
Put the cargo on the pack animal.

Dunno when you plan to go, but it's pretty hot and humid and rainy from now 'til ~November along your general route.

For example:
http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/costa-rica/

Shows ~23 days with rain every month, and >10 inches of rain a month, now 'til end October.
Not so bad in a car if you're moteling it.
But if you're on a moto and camping, not so good.
I did many a late summer family trip in Mexico as a youngster.
Really sucks when all your gear is wet, and it's so humid that it won't dry out.

Hrrrrrm. Glad you pointed that out. Riding in the rain just plain sucks. One option would be to cheat a little and haul my bike to San Antonio in my van, leave it with family I have there and start the trip @ the border. That way I could easily wait out the rainy season. I just don't want to be saddled with winter weather riding gear that I won't need once I'm south of Arkansas. Eh I'll figure out the logistics somehow I'd rather start at my own front door.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »

Want proof? Ask me . .  Grin

Aren't there a lot of micro climates that are affected entirely different a long that route within a narrow range?

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »

Aren't there a lot of micro climates that are affected entirely different a long that route within a narrow range?

It can be 100F and then rain and 65F . . all within 100kms ... humidity plays a big part, in some parts of Central America, is 'dry' and others you just can't breathe because it so humid .  . altitude or how near you are to the Ocean . . . the closer, at times=dry or wet . . . depending from where the wind is blowing

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 02:27:46 PM »

Those family trips I did were about a half dozen down baja, the mainland, even once as far as Palenque, almost to Guatemala.

Perhaps my memory of the nice days is a bit overshadowed by many days hot and humid, almost every mid-afternoon rain.

Stop and see the ruins in Palenque, they're fantastic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palenque

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »

<snip>
Perhaps my memory of the nice days is a bit overshadowed by many days hot and humid, almost every mid-afternoon rain.

that's my day to day . . .

Carlos
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »

Oh I will for sure...visited Chichen Itza for the first time last winter and it was one of the most awesome sights of my life.

Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 04:58:39 AM »

Got my financial affairs set enough to do this; only thing left standing in my way is having a solid plan ahead of time as to how I will cross the borders of Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua. I have a friend in San Jose CR that may be able to help out. It's getting cold here and I will not deal with an OH winter this year, no sir...

zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 05:45:58 AM »

talk to MadKingPepe, as I think he is selling a perfectly fine vehicle for this endeavour...a BMW F650....he just got an older KTM 990 Adventure to replace it and would like to reclaim the room in his garage space...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 05:51:35 AM »

talk to MadKingPepe, as I think he is selling a perfectly fine vehicle for this endeavour...a BMW F650....he just got an older KTM 990 Adventure to replace it and would like to reclaim the room in his garage space...

That would be a fantastic moto for this trip...I'd really like to accomplish it on what I already have though. I'm considering what I want to own and be riding once I'm in San Jose CR as much as what I want to ride there, if that makes sense. I really want to spend the winter in CR on my Monster.

One thing I'll be modifying at this point in the year is having a buddy truck me to the border rather than starting the trip in OH.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 05:53:24 AM by Buck Naked » Logged

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 06:25:01 AM »

should change the tittle to Cleveland to Panama   Grin

Carlos
red baron

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 06:38:06 AM »

should change the tittle to Mexico to Panama   Grin

fixed

laughingdp

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 06:43:23 AM »

That would be a fantastic moto for this trip...I'd really like to accomplish it on what I already have though. I'm considering what I want to own and be riding once I'm in San Jose CR as much as what I want to ride there, if that makes sense. I really want to spend the winter in CR on my Monster.

One thing I'll be modifying at this point in the year is having a buddy truck me to the border rather than starting the trip in OH.

just in case you want to reconsider...

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=40309.msg1204083#msg1204083

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 08:07:08 AM »

Hey Buck,  Good luck.  I was down there for a few weeks last November.  Great place.  They actually allow quads to be ridden on the freeway in CR.  If you can call the Pan Am a freeway Roll Eyes

My thoughts are that the Monster will get old quick.  There is an absolute lack of dealers down there to get even any basic repair supplies.  Pack anything you may need as parts will be weeks away and 100% more expensive due to the import duties.  Personally I would ride Honda or Yamaha dula sport as you can find parts down there for those.

Be very aware of your safety.  Some places can get down right dangerous.  All in all a great place though.  Good luck!

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »

You just need to make sure to plan your route properly. Even the border crossing of the US and Mexico might be dangerous if you pick the wrong place. Beyond that I would say +1 to taking a Honda dually.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: