Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 07, 2024, 01:22:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding from the TX, USA border to San Jose, Costa Rica or beyond  (Read 11615 times)
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« on: June 23, 2013, 07:13:13 AM »

Probably my stupidest idea ever, but I just can't shake the desire. I don't own the right bike for it, I don't know the language enough for it, I don't look inconspicuous enough for it, but I don't think I'll be able to scratch that itch without doing it. Wanted to do it last year but chickened out. Now that it's midsummer again, it's on my mind again because I'd want to leave by October to beat the nasty weather up here. I'd love to document that trip on this forum. All the way up to where you never hear from me again, last post somewhere in Cartel-ville, Chiapas.  laughingdp. Maybe it's a midlife crisis sorta thing, trying to recreate or even one-up the international trip I took in a Chevette when I was 18 and it's stupid but I'm about to be married with a shitload of bills and a house, and this may be my last chance to do it. I should probably join the ADVrider forums and ask around, I'm sure those cats would be all about a trip like this. The most important thing to do aside from getting a better grasp of Spanish would be using a different bike, but dammit I really want to use my Duc.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:58:17 AM by Buck Naked » Logged

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:04:53 AM »

This guy went to the Arctic Circle on a Duc.
 http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=58981.0

He toured a lot of places.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:07:02 AM »

This has more to do with bikes than not...

off to General.  waytogo

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:58:34 AM »

Only to Costa Rica? Make it one more country . . . Panama and come visit me Grin

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »

I support this effort whole heartedly

waytogo

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
redxblack

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »

I've got nothing to add besides that I'm in Akron and it's great to see someone want to ride so widely.

applause waytogo Dolph
bob795

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 11:41:44 PM »

waytogo waytogo Can't wait to read the story.

As for joining the Advrider forum ... well... enter at your own risk  Grin Those ride reports really poison my mind  Grin Grin make me dream of riding to far away places Dolph

2011 Husqvarna TE 630
2012 Monster 795
2002 Sportster 883/1200 (sold)
Slipstream

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 04:17:11 AM »

Buck,
   Cheers from a former CLE west-sider (Elyria-Amherst). 

As encouragement, there was an enormously popular ride report on ADV written by a gentleman ('Antihero') who rode his new Ducati Panigale from LA to the east coast and back...so you can do this trip on your bike! 

I travel to Costa Rica fairly frequently.  It's packed with ex-pat 'Mericans, and most folks there speak English.

Ride safe,
--Slipstream
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 05:44:37 AM »

Thanks SS!

I've been meaning to check out ADVrider some more. Seems like this sort of thing is what that site is all about.

Really the only thing that gives me white knuckles is the border crossings and dealings with authority. That's what I could use a really good primer on.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
weemonster
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 07:13:04 AM »

Do it dude after what i've just done
906 miles in 24 hours  on a 600 monster i dont thing there  is a right bike Undoubtedly a gs1300 adventure would have been much comfier but waay too easy.
all in over  3 days riding i did 1900 miles. 250 the first day 906 ish the second and the rest on the 3rd and over the whole weekend i had about 12 hours sleep
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 08:02:09 AM »

Do it dude after what i've just done
906 miles in 24 hours  on a 600 monster i dont thing there  is a right bike Undoubtedly a gs1300 adventure would have been much comfier but waay too easy.
all in over  3 days riding i did 1900 miles. 250 the first day 906 ish the second and the rest on the 3rd and over the whole weekend i had about 12 hours sleep

Most folks use a dual sport for this kind of trip for obvious reasons, roads can sometimes only vaguely resemble a road we're used to up here. I don't think it's impossible by any means tho to do it on my bike, I just need to plan and route carefully so that I stay on reasonably maintained concrete the entire way. It's not as if there's anything I would consider truly 3rd world between here and there. Underdeveloped yes but not 3rd world. A seasoned adventurer might scoff but to me, just cannonballing directly there with my eyes fixed directly in front of me will still be a constant adrenaline rush being that I've never done anything like this.

Rob Hilding

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »

I support this effort whole heartedly

waytogo

+1

Looking forward to daily updates

Desmosedici - it's the new Paso (except the bodywork doesn't fit as well)
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »

Smiley

I'm gonna do it. The most conservative method possible; Pan Am Hwy and an increased budget so I can be indoors more nights than not. Kind of pedestrian for a lot of the folks on ADV and Horizons Unlimited so I'll document here on the good ol' DMF. Already cleared it with the wifey.

Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 12:08:22 PM »

I'm reading that dude Antihero's trip report and I'm getting really inspired by his minimalist setup. Tailbag, backpack, done. I'm probably going to bring my soft saddlebags as well though.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 01:10:17 PM »

IMHO, backpacks are teh suck on a moto.
They drive me crazy.
Put the cargo on the pack animal.

Dunno when you plan to go, but it's pretty hot and humid and rainy from now 'til ~November along your general route.

For example:
http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/costa-rica/

Shows ~23 days with rain every month, and >10 inches of rain a month, now 'til end October.
Not so bad in a car if you're moteling it.
But if you're on a moto and camping, not so good.
I did many a late summer family trip in Mexico as a youngster.
Really sucks when all your gear is wet, and it's so humid that it won't dry out.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: