Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 21, 2024, 03:24:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bike That Saved Ducati  (Read 3496 times)
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« on: June 25, 2013, 07:23:12 AM »

20 years on, and still moves the most units for Ducati.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1308_the_bike_that_saved_ducati/

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
graydo

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 07:45:45 AM »

Interesting read.

Thanks a lot.

Vishwacorp

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »

I still get the same feeling when I look at my parked Monster that I did first time I saw one. I don't know what it is about the way its few defining curves flow into each other, but I can't think of any other naked that looks as perfect as the Monster.
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 08:46:51 AM »

Good read. I always wondered about where the name came from. Especially from a company steeped in Italian heritage/pride (I still can't say Pannigale correctly).

triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »

I liked Galluzzi's anecdote about doing the first sketches while at Honda, but realizing that company would never go for the idea.  laughingdp

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
wantingaduc

Excuse me Sir, your bike is smokin.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:02:51 AM »

My Monster is my first Duc and is the only bike of many that I've had, that I intend to keep.
I thought it was the most perfect expression of what a motorcycle should be back when I first saw them and it still is.
While there may be bigger, faster, sharper handling bikes out there, my 'lil 620 dark does it all and more.
Hopefully someday I will pass her, well cared for and in perrfect condition, to my son as his bike.
Thanks Mr. Galluzzi for your efforts, they served Ducati and the motorcycle community well.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:04:38 AM by wantingaduc » Logged

I know what ruined America, the fu@k*ng Americans !!!
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »

I have wanted a Duc for over 20 years.  Why did I not buy one sooner?  No freaking idea except that I wanted a brand new one and I wanted to be able to afford it without noticing the money I spent or wanted to spend on upgrades.  I also wanted to be a highly experience rider as I know when I drop her I will be sitting in a puddle of my own tears....... 

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
kuzemko

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »

Read it this morning. Always nice to see a Monster on the cover of Motorcyclist. Glad they seemed to appreciate it as much as I do.

www.kuzemko.com
Stella - 2010 696
HotIce

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »

“This was an interesting time,” notes Miguel Galluzzi, the Monster’s creator. “I was at Honda (Europe) and we were working on the second generation of fully covered CBRs. We used to get these Japanese motorcycle magazines, the kind that had a big photo of a bike without any body, just the engine and chassis. One day I saw a Ducati 851 photo and immediately began a sketch over the top. It was simple, just a tank and a seat. I knew we would never do it at Honda, so I put the idea away. It’s funny, the first sketch of the Monster was done on Honda time.” Galluzzi smiles broadly and holds his palms up, a gesture to say that the statute of limitations on shirking must surely have expired.
With job contracts you sign nowadays, where the company owns all the IP of what you produced while employed with them, that could be a challenging statement right there  Roll Eyes
hbliam
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:09:30 PM »

With job contracts you sign nowadays, where the company owns all the IP of what you produced while employed with them, that could be a challenging statement right there  Roll Eyes

I thought the same thing when I read that. Smiley
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 01:19:57 PM »

Doubt Honda would want to bring that kind of embarrassment on themselves. Apple wouldn't GAF tho

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 03:56:33 PM »

405 Number of Monsters gathered on Sept. 21, 2008, in Hamme-Moerzeke, Belgium, breaking the Guinness Record for the “largest parade of motorcycles of the same brand and type.”

Could the DMF break this record?

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »

great read!

too bad some of the pics in the photo gallery are mislabeled (i.e. the 2007 m695 photo, ....clearly an S4R)

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
GK

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 01:49:28 AM »

Great read. Thanks!

GK waytogo

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
Raux
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 02:44:53 AM »

405 Number of Monsters gathered on Sept. 21, 2008, in Hamme-Moerzeke, Belgium, breaking the Guinness Record for the “largest parade of motorcycles of the same brand and type.”

Could the DMF break this record?
doubt it
the scale of europe helped this record. i know the club that did it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: