Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 26, 2024, 01:27:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How pissed should I be?  (Read 15567 times)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »

I don't have enough knowledge of the current sutuation to have any comment. I'm not sure I get any special treatment, but I expect respect for me and my bikes and I give it in return. And part of that is I don't say much but when they work on one of my bikes I expect it to be done right and I have told them so. The few times, maybe 2 or 3 since 2004, there has been a minor issue I've gone straight to them and expressed not only my displeasure but expected immediate corrections. I'm a happy customer and I am of the opinion they are the best shop in this area and for that reason I want to see them succeed, telling them when they do things right and telling them when they do things wrong is part of ensuring their success. I also admit I go out of my way to try and devlelop a relationship with the shops I do business with, that has worked for me for 40+ years now. Just my $.02 - Gene
Something definitely off here, possibly communication or chemistry or both with a touch of carelessness thrown in. The dealer principal can't know everything unless we tell him.

Only had four interactions with this establishment and the owner and I are on the same wave length. He's a master tech and engineer by trade, not always a "people person". I'd rather have someone who cuts to the chase having had to deal with the hoards myself for 40+ years. My requests have not been easy to accommodate and this dealer has done backflips for me to make my life easier. Having been in biz myself, I never wanted anyone "voting with their feet", so I'm sure Gene will clue him.

"Sales" has not exactly impressed me there but the Parts Manager who IS a true "people person" is above average attentive and knowledgeable. Just MY $0.02...

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Curmudgeon

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 07:01:13 PM »

To me, the only way to get these dealers to service our bikes correctly and to treat us right is to get DNA involved. Eventually the dealer will either straighten out or DNA will take the franchise and give it to a dealer that desires it.
Assume you've never worked in retail? "These dealers"?  Grin Running to "mommy" before you give the dealer a chance to rectify the situation is great way to make yourself persona non grata. Business is a two-way street. Dealers make $$$ and survive by reputation and repeat business. There is never enough "new" business to keep the doors open.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »

How about when Donnie goes well out of his way to tell you, both over the telephone and in person, that he will personally be doing the work on your bike, only to find out that he sluffs it off to the new kid when I go and pick it up.  The statement of who would be doing the work was not solicited in any way, and completely brought on by Donnie.  He specifically told me that he would be the only person touching my BSTs as he knew he would have to pay for them if they got damaged, and if he had to pay for them it would be because "he" messed them up.  

The second time was with my KTM.  I know that is not their cup of tea, so I asked them whether they were interested in working on it before I took it out to them.  They said "sure, bring it out", so I did.  I was only looking at getting a new set of tires at first, so it really wasn't that big of a deal.  Left the bike with them and asked them to give me a call when it was done.  I called them a couple of days later to ask if they'd be able/willing to balance the throttle bodies while it was there, they said yes, and if the bike would be ready to pick up in a week's time, to which they again said yes.  I went out to pick it up ten days after the stated week, only to find that the bike was in pieces all over one of the work benches, and was reportedly only running on one cylinder.  Needless to say, I was a bit surprised to hear that, as it was running just fine when I dropped it off.  I went into the shop with...  Chad I believe... to take a look at it, and noticed that the new tires that were on it weren't even what I had asked for.  I questioned that and was told "we weren't able to get the ones you asked for", so they just decided to slap something else on without bothering to call me.  At this point I went to go find Donnie.  He wasn't there at that specific moment which in hindsight was good, as it gave me a chance to take a few breaths and get some of the "pissed" out of my system.  He got back a few minutes later and I asked him if we could chat.  He immediately laid into me for bringing him a bike that wasn't what he specialized in, and was barely running.  Here's where it is good that I had that chance to cool down a touch, because if he would have acted like that when I first went to find him I would have likely crushed his face in with my helmet.  Anyhow, he said that he didn't have time to get my bike back together that day (remember, this was three days after I said I would pick it up) and that I'd have to come back.  He changed his mind after I dialed my attorney buddy and handed him the phone.  

The really sad part is, I am a firm believer in establishing a good relationship with the shops/techs that I have work on my stuff.  I had been out there to chat/BS with them several times, and had already been talking to him about tearing open the SC's motor over the winter and doing major work to it.  He knew I intended to be that several visit, multiple purchase, repeat customer, but he blew it.  

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
memper

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 07:15:35 PM »

Get ducatidiag, that way you can reset your own tps.
That's what I was thinking exactly. Jeez, you could buy a fair amount of tools for 2 grand.
[hint hint]

"Calling a bikini fairing on a monster a fairing is like calliing a girl in an actual bikini proper work attire....unless shes a stripper." -He Man

-----------------------------------------
Important: always check your battery filter and regularly change your headlight fluid.
Raux
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »

Assume you've never worked in retail? "These dealers"?  Grin Running to "mommy" before you give the dealer a chance to rectify the situation is great way to make yourself persona non grata. Business is a two-way street. Dealers make $$$ and survive by reputation and repeat business. There is never enough "new" business to keep the doors open.
of course not everytime or immediately
but once the dealer has made their final offer for restitution and its no where near right then yes dna is exactly the right place.
Add to the fact you can only make a persona non grata call a few times before word gets around and you have no customers
this is how and why independents pop up for service
TitanMonsterS4R

Yup, it's supposed to sound like that....

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 01:54:52 AM »

Angler - You're going to get a mixed bag of responses about this shop.  While some are passionate about the work they have done for them others are not so.  I am unfortunately in this camp.  If DucPond can make it right by your standards, and you can trust their work, you'll be a happy repeat customer.  However, based on my dealings with their owner and sales guy, DucPond is the last place I would trust my bike to. You paid good money to have them complete the work.  I dont think there's a worse feeling than not having a sound piece of mind when you pick your bike up from a shop.

Sorry to the DucPond faithful, but I can't support their shop, nor their owners attitude. Like DW said, unless you're one of Donnie's favorites, his attitude based on my encounters was I don't give a shit about you.  I just want your money and I'll survive with a pissed off customer here and there because the name DucPond is known for being top notch and that will continue to bring us business. I wrote a note to DNA regarding my experience since I knew DucPond was becoming Ducati Winchester and told them to strongly consider who is representing their brand.  Thats just how mistreated I felt and still feel. 

06 Monster S4R - Red/Black Final Edition
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 03:37:01 AM »

Why is it that people think they can solve any problem like this by posting on the net?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

TitanMonsterS4R

Yup, it's supposed to sound like that....

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 05:20:10 AM »

Why is it that people think they can solve any problem like this by posting on the net?

For me is cathartic.  I think the OP was trying to determine if his feeling were grounded or if he was overreacting.  And well the topic went from there.....

06 Monster S4R - Red/Black Final Edition
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 05:29:16 AM »

For me is cathartic.  I think the OP was trying to determine if his feeling were grounded or if he was overreacting.  And well the topic went from there.....
Just my personal thinking, but if I'm pissed off about a situation, I really don't care if others think I'm justified or not.

I'm still pissed. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

jerryz

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 06:05:55 AM »

name and shame is the only way forward ,, stealers like all businesses dont like bad publicity
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 06:19:26 AM »

I'm a relative newcomer to motorcycles and after a few bad experiences with my local dealer I stopped using them.

This thread dredged up some of the same thoughts and feelings I had in the past and one that really bewilders me is the whole "bring it on in" followed by "yeah it'll be ready in X weeks."

This is bewildering to me because at a former employer I had minute-to-minute contact with car dealers and service bays.  With a car dealer, generally, you call ahead, get an appointment, drop the car off, they order parts, and a few days later (generally) it's done.  My wife's old car needed a top end rebuild and even then the dealer finished it in a week.

Why does it take 2 weeks for a ducati valve adjust?  You'd think at a ducati shop they'd have all the parts, right?  When Flight was still in Reseda, I made an appointment with with Stu, rode it up there, he did the full 12k while I stood there and watched and tried to learn everything I could.  It took, I dunno, 4 hours?  5 hours?  Why does it take my dealer 2 weeks to do the same job?

I understand shops are busy, and that's a good problem for them to have.  But this whole 'drop it off and we'll work on it when we can' just blows my mind.  I mean you know roughly how long a job will take, why not forecast out how busy you'll be and schedule jobs according to that forecast?

This is a legitimate question because I really don't know and I'm hoping someone can enlighten me: 

Other than how quickly auto dealers can get parts, is there some functional difference that keeps moto dealers from emulating their process? 

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
Curmudgeon

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 06:34:30 AM »

You probably don't have to Tweet when you take a sh*t or fondle your iToy 24/7 or walk into walls or water fountains either.  Wink

Most under 30 can't tell you who the VP is or much else which is not on their social network feeds/blogs. Bunch of lemmings?  Cry

You are fortunate to be a private contractor and hopefully can make a living as that course is not without risks either. I'd wager that many here have no clue about the costs, inventory, restrictions and investment which are all required to be a franchised dealer. Sadly in this day of J.D. Powers IQS and CSI, you can't pick and choose your clientele either. It worked a lot better for everybody when you could. Before I retired, 80% of my business was repeat and referral..., but I royally p*ssed off the 10% I turned away.  Grin

Curmudgeon

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 06:46:11 AM »

Other than how quickly auto dealers can get parts, is there some functional difference that keeps moto dealers from emulating their process? 
Without writing a book...?  Grin Motorcycle shops are a very seasonal business if they are not in CA or FL. Very hard to keep skilled staff occupied 6+ months out of the year.

Car manufacturers also have an economy of scale when it comes to parts and support which motorcycle manufacturers could never hope to duplicate. Same goes for your service adviser experience at a better car dealership. Car dealers also live on warranty work and reimbursed scheduled maintenance which you are paying for with your initial purchase. As I said, it'd be a thick book if I explained it all..., and you will NOT find it on the Internet!  Cool

twolanefun

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 07:15:32 AM »

Try being a boat owner if you think motorcycle shops are bad. Like having a brand new boat , <5 hours on it, sitting at your dock at your lake house, your on vacation, but the boat has a problem, the dealer won't have time to look at it because all of his techs are too busy getting boats in the water for the season, he finally looks at your boat in 3 days and the repair takes 1/2 hour. You have 1 day left on your 5 day vacation. Funny when I think back on it but at the time I was almost in cardiac arrest. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »

I've considered opening a bike shop before.

I don't know if I hate myself enough yet.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: