Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 04:03:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All by myself  (Read 7594 times)
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »

It's not the bike so much as it is me.  I'm not comfortable accelerating that quickly yet.  I just need to practice more, which is fine by me.  I find myself enjoying it more and more every time I ride.

I couldn't out-accelerate anyone on the Rebel. I can out-accelerate most cars on my daughter's Ninja 250. No problem on the monster (I always give a last look for cars that may be running a red light though).

I still leave the turn signal on once in awhile. I really annoy myself when I do that. I've learned to avoid using them unless I'm at an iffy intersection or there is a lot of traffic. I do smile when I see other motorcycles with the turn signal left on. I think, "Oh good; I'm not the only idiot."

Is it June yet?
jdubbs32584
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 11:44:16 AM »

Keep it up Kyna! You're doing great. It took me a while to get used to the speeds and accelerating. It does get better, promise.

On the blinker thing, we all do it. If you happen to see another rider opening and closing one of their hands at you, you probably still have a blinker on and they're letting you know.

Keep it up girl. Get us some pics if you can!  waytogo
lauramonster
pissin' on this thread with your

Ride it like you stole it.........

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »

Taught myself to cancel the turn signals after every turn.  Now when the road turns left or right too tightly, I find myself cancelling the non-existent turn signals Shocked!!

Kudos to Kyna!! applause

Frickin' snow!
Ducatiloo

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »

Taught myself to cancel the turn signals after every turn.  Now when the road turns left or right too tightly, I find myself cancelling the non-existent turn signals Shocked!!

laughingdp  I do that sometimes

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 07:12:05 PM »

I've got some anti-fog stuff that I use for my SCUBA diving mask.

I would test it on a small area that is not in your field of view, like a spot that is near the hinge mechanism.  Make sure it doesn't distort the image.  Also, as your visor gets more scratched on the inside (can be caused by using dry paper towels or grit that you're trying to wipe off, but leaves a tiny abrasion) it will fog up more easily.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
Kyna

put put put

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »

Yesterday's lesson was cornering.  It wasn't a long ride because it started to get dark and on day 4 (3?) of riding that just wasn't something I was up to. 

I got up to 60mph on the straights, but it wasn't my cruising speed.  I do sort of feel like I'm going to fly off the back still when I go over 45. I know I won't, but I'm still adjusting to the sensation of the wind hitting me.  Corners were taken slower than I would drive them, but still at or above the posted "caution" sign speeds. There were a few hills on this route.  I wasn't a fan.  I don't like not being able to see what comse next.  It the control freak in me coming out.  Again, I think with time I'll get better about this. 

But on the positive side:  I did pretty good through the corners, ya I was slow but I was leaning and not "steering." I feel decently smooth shifting, as long as I don't think about it too much.  Starting out from stop sighs were fine, no sputtering engine.

Also, I know when I make a mistake.  We got home and I listed off the things I did incorrectly just to see if I missed anything.  Two actually errors, everything else was just speed.  I don't mind shifting, I am decently smooth when changing gears as long as I don't over think it.

My conclusion: I need to ride more.  It'll up my comfort level with everything, which for right now is my biggest obstacle.

Since Ducatiloo and I ride together I don't really have pictures other than the first day's practice in the school parking lot.

Day 1 - Practicing:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 07:37:31 AM »

Looking good! waytogo

I got up to 60mph on the straights, but it wasn't my cruising speed.  I do sort of feel like I'm going to fly off the back still when I go over 45. I know I won't, but I'm still adjusting to the sensation of the wind hitting me.

To get more comfortable with the wind, try using your legs to squeeze the tank and hang on.  Then you can relax your arms more which will help.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Ducatista

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »

Then you can relax your arms more which will help.

+1 Death grip on bars = the suck

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

Kyna

put put put

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 06:53:36 AM »

Woo Hoo, Yesterday I rode alone.  Entirely alone, no M following behind me "just in case."  I was proud of myself.  I met M for lunch today near his work.  It's only about 20 miles, so I thought this would be a good time to try out riding by myself.  Things went well.  I killed it once at a stop, popped the clutch, but started it right back up and tried not to let it shake me.  The restaurant we went to was on the opposite side of the street, so I went around the block.  Also proud first - I parked the bike on a street.  I have never done that before, just parked at the pump or at home.

There are a couple of speed limit changes on the way there, and a few lights.  I had some toyota that did not like me slowing down.  He got up on my tail a bit, but with three cars in front of me there wasn't a lot I could do.  Then when the speed limit went back to 55 he would pull up to me, fall back a lot, then fly up at me again.  It was annoying.  I tried to focus on keeping my arms relaxed, and not flexing my legs for the entire ride.

On the way home I got stuck behind a tractor for about 5 miles.  I practiced maintaining control at sloooooow speeds, barely a wobble.  I was all grins when I got home. 

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
jdubbs32584
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 07:04:10 AM »

Yay!!! Great job Kyna!!!!!  waytogo
Ducatiloo

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »

applause

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 09:29:47 AM »

Nicely done! waytogo chug

Also proud first - I parked the bike on a street.  I have never done that before, just parked at the pump or at home.

It took me a while before I started doing this, and I'm still not very good.

I'm too short to be able to turn and look behind me while backing up (I'd drop the bike). Undecided

Ducatista

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 08:26:39 PM »

Nicely done! waytogo chug

It took me a while before I started doing this, and I'm still not very good.

I'm too short to be able to turn and look behind me while backing up (I'd drop the bike). Undecided

This is where those little shiny things some use as mirrors come in handy.  The only time I end up using my mirrors is checking for the Police behind me, making sure nobody will give me a love smoosh at a light, and tip toeing back.  I'll look back just once to make sure nothing is on the pavement and then use the mirrors.  I always try to have someone spot me, though.   Embarrassed

somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »

If you are turning while backing up, though, the mirrors are facing the wrong way. Backing up straight is np.

m0t0g0th

.:GoneFeral:.

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 08:42:49 PM »

If you are turning while backing up, though, the mirrors are facing the wrong way. Backing up straight is np.

Except on the Ninja- if they're like my EX500, the mirrors are mounted on the fairing which is free of the bars.  Rearview always stable, those were the days.

The single biggest learning curve thingus for me coming onto the monster was "WTF is happening to the world behind me, it's all ASKEW!" - the first few times i backed into my parking space i was completely confused.  "Wall?  Wut?  Car?  Wut?  Pole?  Wut?"   Cheesy

A red traffic light means:
  • Incoming missiles
  • Stop
  • You win! Speed through the intersection to claim your reward!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: