Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 09:34:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All by myself  (Read 7595 times)
Kyna

put put put

« on: July 05, 2008, 02:33:37 PM »

Today was my first official ride on the open road as a licensed motorcyclist.  I was on a friend's Ninja 600R.  First we went up to the local school and borrowed their parking lot so I could get used to riding a different bike.  A few laps and I was relatively comfortable shifting up and and down from 1st to 3rd and stopping.  Then we were off.  I'm still not very comfortable going highway speeds so we stuck to the 40mph and below roads.  I did okay, I need to work on my speed.  I was well below the speed limit in a few places because I wasn't monitoring my speedometer enough.  Roll Eyes  I'll make sure to work on that for the next ride.  But shifting, starting and stopping I felt comfortable with.  So that's a start.

Overall I had a lot of fun.  A bit more practice and I'm sure I'll be cruising along (at a proper speed) in no time.   [moto]  I'll post pictures when the internet isn't being so slow here.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
jdubbs32584
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 03:37:32 PM »

Yay!!! Great job Kyna!!!  waytogo
DucLeone

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »

Overall I had a lot of fun.  A bit more practice and I'm sure I'll be cruising along (at a proper speed) in no time.   [moto]  I'll post pictures when the internet isn't being so slow here.

proper speed is your comfortable speed if other ones are in a hurry they can pass

no reason to try outdoing your self by going faster then what is comfortable to you

just my .02

DUCATI NON E UNA MOTO, E UN STILE DI VIVERE
KISS FRENCH AND RIDE ITALIAN
S2R 800 Black
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 05:21:58 PM »

Glad to hear things are going well, great job! chug

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Shortie
Do not underestimate the power of stupid.

No longer hangin_biposto! :D

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:57:33 AM »

Great job girlie! It's cool to hear progress reports so keep em coming. I take great comfort in knowing that someone else here is a noob.  Wink

Street - 1991 GSF 400 Bandit
Dirt - 1972 Chaparral ST80

Welcome to cats  Cool

So cute and small.

Such terrible things come out of them  Lips Sealed

www.pbase.com/mcharest
dolci

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 12:47:25 PM »

Glad to hear that things are going well;  and it's true.  Remember to ride YOUR ride.....the correct speed is whatever is right for you....making the assumption that you are not going 5mph.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing; however, they can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

2005 620ie
1998 GS500E - gone
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 03:12:12 PM »

I didn't venture onto an interstate until many months after I got my license.  I had only surface roads on my 17 mile commute, so I never got much above 55 mph on Leesburg Pike.  Once you break the seal, it won't be so bad.  It's terribly intimidating at first to have so many much larger objects whizzing by around you, but you'll get the hang of it.  Baby steps.  Get comfortable on the roads you can.  Then work your way up.  I actually feel more comfortable on highways than I do on the surface roads of suburbia.  People are just as likely not to see you, but at least they shouldn't be stopped and coming at you!   Shocked

Keep the shiny side up!  Great job!  waytogo

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
Ducatiloo

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 08:18:54 AM »

You did really good, esp since you have never ridden a bike on a non-controlled environment before  waytogo
The speed part will come easily, after you become more comfortable with the control aspect of riding.

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
Kyna

put put put

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 05:43:34 PM »

Wooo Hoooo I got up to 60mph tonight!  I loved having someone behind me as a sort of cushion, especially when a car came up behind us.  See, it took me a bit longer to actually GET the bike to 60, so Mr. Car was probably not so excited about having to slow down.  But hey, I made it to 60mph!  /doing a little happy dance/  Huge problem when starting out from a stop was that without the wind flowing through my helmet my shield would fog up badly, making it harder to see.  I'm not quiet proficient at flipping the shield up and down while also moving.

Things I know I need to work on:
1. cornering without slowing waaaaaaaaay down.
2. getting up to speed in less distance.  I think this will come as I get more comfortable with riding at higher speeds.
3. not breathing so heavy on my shield.
4. canceling my turn signals.  I forget until I look down to check my speed.  opps, that's not good.

We only did a short ride today but we're going out for a bit longer tomorrow and for the rest of the week.  Hopefully I'll be ready to ride to the Italian Moto Brunch that we just found out about.  Otherwise I'll probably be riding cupcake.   Undecided

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 10:16:21 PM »

Huge problem when starting out from a stop was that without the wind flowing through my helmet my shield would fog up badly, making it harder to see. 

Try Scorpion lids.  They are known to have very fog resistant face shields.

I'm not quiet proficient at flipping the shield up and down while also moving.

If you're moving and anything has to be adjusted, make sure you do it with your left hand.  Always leave your throttle/brake hand free.  You'll lose all maneuverability if you take that hand off!  You can always wait until you're stopped to flip that visor down.  Then once you take off, just flick it down while accelerating, in between shifts.

2. getting up to speed in less distance.  I think this will come as I get more comfortable with riding at higher speeds.

Just about any bike can out accelerate almost any cage.

4. canceling my turn signals.  I forget until I look down to check my speed.  opps, that's not good.

We all forget sometimes.  Don't worry about it. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:17:52 PM by Ducatista » Logged

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:22:20 PM »

Huge problem when starting out from a stop was that without the wind flowing through my helmet my shield would fog up badly, making it harder to see.  I'm not quiet proficient at flipping the shield up and down while also moving.

I used to just leave the front open a crack, full time. That seemed to help the fogging issue.

Congrats on the speeds.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
duqette

Does this bike make my butt look fast?

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 05:38:31 AM »

Oh, boy. You are bringing back all these great memories about my first tentative rides on my ol' 82 Nighthawk 650. I'd be tooling around the neighborhood back streets near my home, concentrating so hard on just not falling over and shifting correctly, my turn signal on the whole time.  laughingdp The first time I got her all the way up to 50 mph (!) I was sure I was going to get blown off the back.

"Youth is wasted on the young." --GB Shaw
Kyna

put put put

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 05:48:04 AM »

I love my helmet.  I've got some anti-fog stuff that I use for my SCUBA diving mask.  I might try that, otherwise, I'll probably just leave it open a crack until I get more used to riding and not quite as steamy.   Grin

Just about any bike can out accelerate almost any cage.

It's not the bike so much as it is me.  I'm not comfortable accelerating that quickly yet.  I just need to practice more, which is fine by me.  I find myself enjoying it more and more every time I ride.

dolci

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 06:14:50 AM »

I've got some anti-fog stuff that I use for my SCUBA diving mask. 

I keep trying to remind myself to try that.  I've got some from my diving gear as well.  It should work.

I leave it open a crack sometimes and that seems to help tremendously.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing; however, they can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

2005 620ie
1998 GS500E - gone
Ducatiloo

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 07:48:37 AM »

Rainx anti-fog works great as well waytogo

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: