Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:02:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to : Clean your helmet and textile suit / jacket  (Read 3964 times)
S21FOLGORE

« on: July 07, 2013, 06:54:28 PM »

All right, it's another "How to clean ... " thread by me. But this time, it's about the riding gear, helmet and riding suits / jacket / pants (textile).

While you're riding, not only bugs and wind but also exhaust fumes from cars and trucks, dirt and dust (basically all kind of airborne particulate) hits the suits / jacket and helmet. Also, riding in the hot weather cause more perspiration, and oil and sweat that accumulate inside of the helmet and suits will cause odder.
Anyway, if you have been riding without washing your helmet liner for years, you'd probably better do it now before it starts looking like belstaff waxed cotton coat ...

OK. Let's start with the suit. I use my 1-pc roadcrafter as an example, but the procedure is pretty much the same for all textile riding gear.

1) Remove contents of all the pocket.

2)Remove all the pads.

3)Close all zippers, including the vent zippers.

4)Some bugs and road dust ...

4)Set washer to regular cycle with "warm" setting.  Use mild detergent.

While you are waiting , you can start washing helmet liner.
start removing whatever the parts that are removable. These days, most high-end helmet comes with fully removable liner (pretty much everything comes off). Some models you can remove only the cheek pads. Some low end models have non removable liner. Read the manual of your helmet before attempting to take off neck roll and chin curtain (because, on some models, even though they call "fully removable liner"  those items are not removable.)
Here's the example with AGV GP-Tech.

a) First, remove the cheek pads.

b)Then, remove crown pad.

c)Next, remove neck roll.

d)Then, remove chin curtain.

c)All the removed parts to be washed.

d)This helmet is relatively new (been wearing it for about 6 months), the shell is not dirty enough (yet) for full bath. If your helmet is real dirty and the shell needs to be fully washed, be very careful with EPS (expanded polystyrene) liner (what looks like styrofoam inside of the shell). EPS IS NEITHER SOLVENT NOR HEAT-RESISTANT.
Only mild soap and water should be used. (I have read some "experienced" people posting on the net that they wash their helmet in the dish-washer without problem. I have seen video on you tube that someone who's (supposed to be) running motorcycle shop recommending the mixture of rubbing alcohol + windex for helmet cleaning ... unbelievable.)

e) You *can* machine wash the hemet liner by putting them in the net and use "delicate" or " hand wash" cycle. But I prefer to wash them with hand in the bucket.
Use mild detergent. You can also use shampoo (the one that does not contain conditioner.) Anyway, you are not making bubble bath. You don't need to use ton of them.

If you are washing really dirty helmet liner, you need to keep changing water while washing / rinsing.

f)After rinsing, gently press them between the towel. Don't twist / squeeze hard.

g)Hang where it doesn't get direct sunlight but gets air flow. Don't put them in dryer.

Now, get back to the washer. Run wash / rinse cycle one more time WITHOUT detergent (to ensure that any residual soap is removed.)

Hang and air dry. Again, avoid direct sunlight.

<the end of part 1. To be continued to part 2>
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:06:23 PM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »

<continued from part 1>

Part 2

Let your riding suit and helmet liner dry completely. How long you should hang them depends on the climate you live in. Here in San Francisco Bay Area, 24 - 48 Hrs is enough.

Now the fun part. Let's assemble the helmet !

a) Start with neck roll. Insert the center part first. Then, insert the part that close to chin bar, and work toward the back of the helmet. Those tabs slid in between the shell and EPS liner.

b) install chin curtain.

c) install crown pad. It is held in place by four snap buttons, two on front, two on the back.

Can you see ?

d)refit cheek pads. Slot the strap through the hole, then snap those press studs (same snap buttons as the ones on crown pad). There are three snap buttons on each pads.

Ok. The helmet is done.
Time to fit all the pads onto the suit again !
1)turn sleeves inside out first.

2)roll up the pad and insert into the pocket.

3) working on knee pad.

4) look how nice and clean it  looks now !

5)when storing helmet (after coming back from ride), it is better to store it on the wired shelf, with the face shield open (so that air can circulate, liner dries faster, less odder build up.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: