Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:55:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY - Monster 696 - GSXR 600 Fork Install  (Read 8817 times)
malamikigo

« on: July 16, 2013, 11:31:30 PM »

Hey guys,

So after enduring the monster's undersprung front forks for a while I decided to go forward with the GSXR swap.  Hopefully this proves useful for at least one of you.

Parts List of specifically what I am using:

- 2008 gsxr 600 forks - there are many in varying condition available on ebay.  I specifically went with 2008 gsxr 600 forks due to their stock spring rate and diameters.  You can learn all the different options of what years are what sizes by reading this chart made by someone else:
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w450/condershire/Fork-Conversion-Details.jpg

- 2008 gsxr 600 front calipers - (ebay) - try and find ones that include the banjo bolts and caliper bolts to make things easier.  I paid about $45 for mine to get some in decent shape.

- 5mm caliper spacer - I had these made by a friend for free, but if you don't mind paying $40 to have them nice and easy, here's another ebay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271061115058?item=271061115058&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

- Gsxr caliper bolts.  stock are long enough with the spacer.  Many of the ebay ads come with these bolts, but in case they don't:
http://www.bikebandit.com/2008-suzuki-gsx-r600/o/m138935#sch554657

- 5mm 6-bolt brake rotor spacer - these are installed between the wheel and brake rotor.  Make sure you have Torx bits on hand for removing the rotors. You can get these made for cheap, but I found them nice and easy on ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brembo-type-6-bolt-5mm-disc-spacer-Yamaha-Ducati-Aprilia-Bimota-Benelli-Laverda-/350822155512?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item51aea144f8&vxp=mtr

- 2008 gsxr front axle (ebay) - buy one that includes the end nut.  

- 0.5mm shims for the lower triple - GSXR fork is one mm smaller than the stock 696 at the lower triple, so add these shims to fill it out:
http://www.corse-dynamics.com/products/brake-suspension-components/lower-triple-clamp-conversion-shims/

- Custom stainless brakelines from Magnum Shielding.  The stock lines are too short due to the length of the gsxr forks, and the location of the banjo bolt on the gsxr calipers being in the centre as opposed to the top of the 696 brembos.  These are DOT approved and can be sized to the length you need.  These don't come with new crush washers so you'll need to pick up x7 of those somewhere else.  

I ordered the 6' brakeline along with 1 35 degree 10mm banjos, and 3-pack of straight 10mm banjos (180 degree).
http://www.magnumshielding.com/store/byo-build-your-own-brake-lines.php

- axle spacers - I had my friend make a 15mm spacer for either side. You can also cut the stock 696 spacer in half and add a 1mm shim on the left, or shim as necessary based on your cut.

A shot of most of the items ready to go:

and the caliper spacers:

Starting in on the swap

First I propped up the front end of the bike using a hydraulic floor jack and propped up jackstands:

Ditched the fender.  Hipster mode v1.0 enabled:

Dropped out the wheel, axle, and pulled the calipers off the forks:

After I detached the calipers, I loosened the triples and dropped out the first fork tube.  Amputee mode v1.0 enabled:

Drop out the other fork.  Legless!  

Round the shims to the shape of the fork and bend the little tabs over and slide them into place in the bottom triples.  Carefully slide the gsxr forks into place and rough them into place.  Your front end WILL be higher than stock.  There's no way around that.  You can slide the forks up as far as you can, but you will reach a limitation at the top where the fork briefly goes thinner, but you can't clamp onto that part.

I forgot to take pictures of installing the rotor spacers, but it's straight forward - they are between the wheel and the rotor.  

Install the wheel, using the GSXR axle.  You will need to install the two 15mm spacers on either side of the wheel at this point as well.  Make sure the wheel is centered before tightening down the pinchbolts:

Brake calipers installed, you can see the 5mm spacers between the caliper and fork:

Installed the new brakelines after cutting them to length.  Don't forget to leave a little slack for the shock rebound.  The brakelines will come with instructions on how to build them so I won't go into detail on that.  

And that's pretty much it!  Bleed the brakes, take 'er for a rip, you're done!

Forgot to mention, you'll also need to sort out something around a bracket/spacer for mounting the fender.  You're on your own for this as I haven't got mine made yet.  I just attached the fender at only the bottom hole.  

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer.  
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »

Great post! I read through it even tho I have an 1100S!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
malamikigo

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:33:40 PM »

Couple fresh pics after the operation:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:56:55 AM by malamikigo » Logged
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 12:38:58 AM »

looking good! great write up too

maybe a 749 or 999 front fender will fit

2001 Supersport 900 Yellow!!! (she's just so much fun)
2000 Monster 750 Carb Dark!!! (Sold and still full of regrets)
malamikigo

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 01:57:31 AM »

I love the monster fender and will definitely be sticking with it.  I just need to get a bracket fabbed to fit it to the new mounting points and all will be fine! 
ChrisK

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:02:38 PM »

Cool tutorial, I plan on doing something similar to my 98 M900 sometime this winter when I have the funds and it's put away for the season.

I believe I know the answer, but just to hear it from you, why did you choose GSXR forks? Those are adjustable, correct? Why not swap out springs in the stock forks? etc...

Thanks!

1998 M900
2007 CBR600RR Track Bike
1982 Virago 920 Cafe/Fighter Project
1980 Lambretta Moped
Supra Boats enthusiast

"There is no minimum."  - some guy.
malamikigo

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 12:06:16 AM »

a few different reasons

- respringing the stock 696 forks still leaves me with no adjustability whatsoever.  the gsxr fork is fully adjustable.
- the 2008 gsxr 600 fork is sprung perfectly for my weight as-is, no respringing necessary
- the gsxr fork is taller, and i've been looking to increase the height of my bike. combined with a rear clevis swap from the 796 and the DP comfort seat, and now the gsxr fork, i've raised my overall seat height more than 2".
- gsxr forks are gold and look awesome.
- i found a very good deal on brand new, unused, take-off forks, and the total cost for the swap was barely more than it would've cost to re-spring my stock forks. Not to mention that I can sell my stock forks and brembo calipers and probably even turn a profit on the whole thing.

That about sums it up!
ChrisK

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 05:18:55 AM »

Cool thanks, you've pretty much talked me into doing the same this winter.

1998 M900
2007 CBR600RR Track Bike
1982 Virago 920 Cafe/Fighter Project
1980 Lambretta Moped
Supra Boats enthusiast

"There is no minimum."  - some guy.
Banned

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 10:57:53 AM »

Is the procedure to do this exactly the same for a 695? I assume if you kept the 300mm stock rotors, that the GSXR calipers would be able to be used without a spacer correct?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: