Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:52:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you react when a cager cuts you off or pulls out in front of you?  (Read 27967 times)
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 01:31:13 PM »

I think I got about five instances of this behavior just during today's lunch hour.  Sheesh!

I try to get their attention and give them a subtle wave to let them know they nearly killed someone.  On rare occasions when I have no escape path, or at least not a comfortable one, I've stuck a foot in a door.  That generally gets the driver's attention in a hurry, though sometimes not in the best way.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
skurvy

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »

I used to get their attention and flip 'em off but now I just think it's stupid. Now that I've been commuting everyday for a year, I just accept that it happens no matter how safe you are or try to be. You have to minimize the risk. I'll speed up over the speed limit just to get in the open spaces between the packs of cagers on the highways. They still never see you because they're texting or talking on the phone. My worst fear is getting rear ended at a stop light because the driver just isn't paying attention.

I thought about putting stickers on my helmet or my bag saying, "Hang Up & Drive" or "Put the Phone Down". I don't know how much of a difference it would make. Cagers will read it and still do it. I had a driver the other day cut me off (within inches), trying to merge on the highway, flicked me off, all while on the phone. I so wanted to put a dent in that car....

Yeah I just let it go, not worth it.

I was in a situation once where a car illegally cut off a minivan in front of me mid turn and my options were eating the bumper or dump the moto. I avoided the minivan and my bike was on the ground. I was so pissed when I saw the punk who cut off the minivan in the intersection still talking on the phone oblivious to what he just caused. I walked up to the driver, still in full gear, and asked to see his license. He was still f'n talking on the phone and asked me why. I said, "you just caused an accident and I want to give your information to the police when they get here". He thought about it for a sec, put the phone down, reached for his wallet and started to roll through the red light. The only thing going through my head was don't let him get away, look at his plate... I held on to his open window frame as he accelerated. I'm running along side this punk's car and now I'm thinking, I'm trying to stop a car by grabbing onto it! Idiot! I let go, lost my balance, fell to the ground, helmet taking a hit right on the chin, leather jacket taking some rash. Witnesses who saw it said they tried to get the kid's license plate but no luck. EMTs came to the scene cleaned me up and I was released at the scene. Bike had the typical damage: bent handle bars, mirror, barend, footpeg...

I should've just looked at the license plate and reported it. It was a busy intersection with witnesses. After all the car did cause a non collision accident and my bike had damage. But in the heat of the moment I wanted to confront the guy, especially because I saw he was still talking on the phone.

Then I see stuff like this and it's no wonder why cagers hate bikers. I have no idea what the backstory is to this but when I saw it, it made me want to reply to this topic. I don't know what to think of squids. I just try to stay away from them. OK maybe the guy in the video isn't a squid...but if it was me... just let it go dude. With all the crazies out there, just minimize the risk.

Mods: sorry if this vid rubs anyone the wrong way, remove if it offends.

justin123560

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »

Situation 1: Old man was changing lanes without using his signal. Luckily he saw me last second and moved back into his lane. He pulled up next to me and apologized. I gave him the  waytogo and said it's okay just be careful.

Situation 2: Man in van changing lanes, I honk and flash my lights and he still continues to merge. He nearly pinned me between the wall and his van. Of course he was on his phone I gave him the 1/2 peace sign and zoomed away.

Situation 3: I was lane splitting and came to a red light. To my right was a girl on her iPad. She rolled down her window and said my bike was loud [Dry Clutch] and ruining her video. I'm guessing she was recording herself? I shrugged it off and ignored her. Light turns green and she deliberately moved left as I was accelerating almost dropping my bike. I almost sh*t myself. I caught up to her and gave her the 1/2 peace sign and she returned the favor. I proceeded to simulate a money shot to her face which left her speechless. I zoomed away once again.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 07:39:30 PM »

Keep in mind we have all screwed up at one time or another.  Today I double parked to let a passenger off.  A bicycle passed me on the right as my passenger opened the door, missing the bicyclist by not much.  Was he wrong?  Yes.  If a car comes to as stop in the middle of a street wit a passenger the likelihood of a door opening is pretty good.  Was I wrong?  Yes.  I didn't put the flashers on soon enough and assumed the passenger would look before opening the door.
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »

My reaction depends on how serious it is. Tonight, A guy in a pick-up decides to whip a u-turn without any warning and almost takes me out.

I pulled around to a safe place and my blood was pumping; I mean, it was "that" close.

I gave him the dirty stare for about thirty seconds, shook my head, and went on my way.

But when my life or limbs haven't been threatened, I react rather calmly.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:08:59 PM by Desert Dust » Logged

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
HDDUC

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 04:05:31 AM »

I ride like I expect the cager to do the wrong thing. They usually do.
Desert Dust

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 10:43:55 AM »

I ride like I expect the cager to do the wrong thing. They usually do.
Yes, I agree.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »

The Rider's Curse

"A PLAGUE OF HONDA ODYSSEYS UPON YOU!"

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
pdog109

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 10:20:15 AM »

The last two days people coming out of the gas station haven't seen me but i saw them not see me first so i've be able to downshift and slow down until they see me.
I've started to do the John Cena you can't see me with my hand lol.

SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 07:00:57 PM »

I once kicked a car that cut me off, and he used his car to knock me down. Now I just get out of the way and go.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
GreasySnipe

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2015, 11:42:37 PM »

One of the reasons I bought a helmet camera, I'd keep myself calm and later on I'd review the footage and if it was severe enough I'd take a trip down to my local PD and have them review it.
lightspd

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 06:02:35 AM »

Usually if they have that oh make the beast with two backs I didn't see you look, I'll wave and not give it another thought.  If they are being completely make the beast with two backsing stupid, I'll give them a salute or wtf head shake.

I think the stupidest thing that happen to me recently was, I was sitting at a light, left side of the far right lane, just past the start of a right turn lane. People are passing me to make a right turn and then one guy just stays in my lane and goes by stopping so I'm next to his gas door.  Look around and people are giving me the I don't know wtf he's doing look. Light turns green he goes cutting in front of me. I happen to get next to him at the next light, look over and he's reading a news paper. All spread out across his steering wheel.  I revved my engine and have him a head shake.
silas

2V

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 05:40:00 AM »

The new Cycle World has a very relevant 1 page article by Nick Ienatich (sp?). Same guy who wrote THE PACE.  It discusses staying out of others blind spots as a huge priority for bikers. Many bikers don't do this at all.  A lot of these close calls can be prevented and if you're having a lot of them, you're doing something wrong. There is no way to avoid it though- someone will try to turn into you on a regular basis if you ride enough. I try to accellerate past blind spots and watch the front wheel of any cars in other lanes that I'm passing.

Ride fast, ride safe
'98 M900, '92 Yamaha TDM850
Desert Dust

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »

I have two bikes. An r1200gs Beemer and my S2R. The Beemer sounds like a Singer sewing machine and the monster with full exhaust & open clutch sounds beastly.

I rarely get cut off on da monster.

Just sayin'. Loud pipes. That's the solution.

Blackout

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 08:41:39 AM »

Nuff said.

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: