Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 06:30:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you react when a cager cuts you off or pulls out in front of you?  (Read 28128 times)
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« on: July 27, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »

Anybody who has logged a few thousand miles on a street bike has experienced the following phenomena: You are riding along, minding your own business, when a car cuts you off or pulls out in front of you.

I've had this happen to me about five times in the last year, but I have reacted differently at times.  For certain, I attempt to make sure the driver knows about his or her error.

What do you do?

A.) Give the driver 1/2 of the peace sign
B.) Point your index finger at them
C.) Give a dirty look
D.) None of these

Tell your story.  Grin

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 04:45:19 AM »

I can't say always to choice D, but that is my goal.  Car vs. bike, car wins.
Desert Dust

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »

Here's what happened to me the other evening.

It was about 8:00 and I was doddering along at about 35 mph on a two-way, four lane road through the center of town. I was on one of the inside lanes when a lady in a minivan pulled right out in front of me and occupied my lane. Well, I pretty much knew she didn't see me way ahead of time, so I drifted over to the right and laid on the horn for about five seconds. Then I passed her, pulled over in front of her, flipped up my shield, turned my head around, and smiled and waived to her, real friendly like, but as if to say, watch where you're going, sweetie.

About a half-mile later I pulled up to a red light, and there she was again, still smiling and waiving.  Grin At this point I realized she had misread my intentions. Nevertheless, and being a married man mind you, I decided I had enough adventure for one evening and rode home to my faithful wife.

Be kind to cagers; it might render positive benefits.  waytogo

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
sgollapalle

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:36:02 AM »

Definitely not this http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=42283

And if you have to do A/B/C, make sure you have enough room in front of you to gun the throttle, in case the person in the vehicle decides on vehicular homicide.

'11 M-696
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:30:47 AM »

I have been known to lay on my horn for a solid 10 seconds, or until they realize what they did and figure their shit out. Whichever is longer.

I have Hella Supertones. And BoomTubes. And tinnitus.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:14:44 PM »

20 years ago I used to be quite reactive.  Sadly this has never resulted in a positive outcome for anyone.  The cager hates motorcycle more than ever and I am get all upset, over something that is going to continue to happen.

Most people make honest mistakes, we all have done something so stupid in our cars that we nearly caused another human an accident.

Except in rare cases of a cager being an absolute jerk I think the best solution is to let them hear you with a horn honk and then ride by sadly shaking your head.  Tehy will get the point better if you make them feel bad then if you attack them with a mirror break or flying finger.

Although I will admit that upon occasion I still toss the one finger salute.  It is always for the same reason; a cager over the double yellow coming around a turn.

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Desert Dust

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »

I'm definitely less reactive, especially when I know the driver doesn't see me and is likely to pull out in front of me. I rarely get surprised anymore because I usually see that they don't see me.

Usually I just give them a dose of horn, a waive, and a smile. Then the reaction from the driver is usually, "Oh shit, I'm sorry." 

Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »

I try to reserve the "salute" for cagers who pull into my lane to tailgate me (especially when 2-up).

The rest of the time... see tag lines.  I ride alone...

jaxduc
Have you seen my

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 01:31:10 AM »

What to do?
Accept the fact that it will happen. Every time. Move on with your life. It is not our place to teach them a lesson. They will never learn.
If you believe in "what goes around comes around", they will get theirs.

Aren't you the Panigale hater?
ab
ab

ab

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 09:05:12 PM »

I don't get surprised.  But I make sure to get by their side or turn back and shake my head or my fav gesture the loco sign.  If they apologize, then I say pay attention or something so they can remember this moment or else if its 35mph zone I slow down ridiculously and f with them.  Can't let them go without remembering how close they came to hurting/killing a biker.  

I actually had a lady tap my tyre at a light.  F'n idiot!  

N yes car wins.

Damn cagers!

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
shamoo

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:03 AM »

I have to force myself to just ignore it and move on.  I used to have bad road rage (in a car).  But thinking about it, especially on a bike, it's useless to do anything.  You're not going to change anything.  In fact, it'll irritate the driver more and he'll likely have more contempt toward bikers (not good for the rest of you).

Every once in a while when people don't signal in front of me, I'll shake a finger at them and point to my blinker (which I turn on).  Not sure they even get it.  California (Southern) seems to be notorious for people not using their turn signals.  I'm convinced they think it's optional.  It's maddening.
Desert Dust

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 07:06:03 PM »

I have to force myself to just ignore it and move on.  I used to have bad road rage (in a car).  But thinking about it, especially on a bike, it's useless to do anything.  You're not going to change anything.  In fact, it'll irritate the driver more and he'll likely have more contempt toward bikers (not good for the rest of you).

Every once in a while when people don't signal in front of me, I'll shake a finger at them and point to my blinker (which I turn on).  Not sure they even get it.  California (Southern) seems to be notorious for people not using their turn signals.  I'm convinced they think it's optional.  It's maddening.
I live in Southern, Southern So Cal, and we get numerous drivers with Baja Mex plates in our area. They seem to think a 4-way stop means, "Gas it and see if you can beat the others through the intersection."

How do I react? I guess it depends on my mood and how bad they cut me off. Although, I am a teacher by trade, so I usually feel I need to provide some sort of instruction so they can all be better cagers.  Wink

Cat

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »

I have used the horn a couple times if I thought the driver just didn't see me, but generally I just fume silently and/or think up all the totally bad-ass methods I *would* use to show the driver the error of their ways, if I wasn't such a wuss.  Mind you, I may be less likely to get shot at, this way.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »

I can't say always to choice D, but that is my goal.  Car vs. bike, car wins.

+1

The more mature you are, the more you realize this is the best course of action.

Avoiding the issue is the best course of action. Riding isn't a chess game -- no replays.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 04:59:49 AM »

I dodge and if possible, just after said "overlooking" they get a blast of obnoxious exhaust noise so they go "where the hell did that come from."

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: